Reasons for denials

I am sure that a few of us have noticed the recent denials (blue slips). As emotionally tough as this issue is, I think that we need to try and take a candid look at what's going on.

I feel that the strength of this webpage and forum is the ability to share information and thus both prepare and predict the process... I don't think we can guarantee anything, but the fact is that we have information at hand and we need to take a good look at this issue. I also believe the emotional support we can lend to each other is very important, but I want to stick to the informational side.

In a few threads we seem to agree that inconsistency [among VOs] and the moving targets presented by them keeps the interview process a stressful and unpredictable event.

I have been looking at interviews from the time I first joined. Here is my take on the main reasons for denial.... I narrowed it down to two items they are really looking at:

1) A bona fide relationship exists

a. You have developed a relationship in person

b. Good communication exists

2) Financial support exists

I DON'T think we want a thread of 200 theories and ideas. I think we want to try and narrow down to what are the 1-3 really big issues. If I have missed the mark, let's redefine them. If these two are reasonable, then let's see if we can come up with a 'prescription' which helps anyone as much as possible to get through this process successfully.

I know that, in the end, even if we come up with a good indicator of what to do, that not everyone can do it. Not everyone can visit China three times due to work or financial limitations. But, let's see if we can identify what is the key to overcoming the denial in the best case.

My thoughts go as follows:

1) The SO is greatly advantaged if s/he speaks english well.

2) If the US person has visited multiple times (more than once) , the chances increase.

3) If the US person is present at the interview, a [very] small advantage is gained

4) Financial support is clearly supported with documentation

ok, your thoughts...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good I will have 3 out of 4. Personally I do not think the petitioners presence does very much at this point of the process unless there have been only 1 or no visits in the past. That does change if a blue slip is issued and you can present needed evidence immediately because you are there. Anyway I hope so because my vacation time and funds are limited. Also and more important when I asked if she would like me to go to GZ, she answered "don't you have confidence in me?". I know you can do it dear.

I plan to be at the interview, as I think it does offer some advantage -- especially if you can get a letter notarized at the consulate with in a week of the interview. I also think attending the american citizen hour is a good idea. I think that do keep track of our email inquires, and I do think registering the trip via the web also helps. If the officer at the POE the purpose of my visit -- I will tell him to visit my SO. Every little bit helps to establish #1. Obviously this is in addition to keeping plane tickets, and taking lots of pictures.

As far as #2, it is all about bank statements -- employer letters -- W2s and Tax returns. Records of monies sent to China might be good here as well (not so sure about that one).

Again, as someone else commented in another post, I think it sucks because here is a gray area which probably varies from VO to VO because this is subjective.

I am pretty sure the test you must pass is:

1. Does it look like a long term employment

2. does it meet or exceed poverty levels.

They are looking for your ability to support your SO for the next three years and beyond. This is the time period you agree to by signing the I-134 and later the I-864 during AOS. They want to know your SO will not be asking for welfare handouts from the government. If you are employed for a short time in the US because of things like just returned from China, I am sure they are looking to see that you have gotten a job which appears to be a secure source of income. They might even look to see what you did before returning to US. Showing your teaching jobs in China might be a plus as it shows your employment history and speaks to your reliability.

Records of monies sent to China might be good here as well (not so sure about that one).

This is very interesting thought, though I am unsure of its influence. I have sent money to my SO a few times, but one might have to ask how we can make this 'evident' toward the relationship.

I'm not so sure providing proof of financial support is a positive. Think of it as a double-edged sword. On one hand, it could proof that the couple really is a couple by sharing money with each other. On the other hand, a VO could see it as a very clever scam - get lots of RMB and ticket to the US.

Never assume that a VO's perception is the same as yours.

The point I like in this issue is that it helps establish that you are 'already' supporting her on some level... but , I agree, this logic may not be viewed positively by GZ.

Isn't it great that we all get to guess what the heck they want? Requirements are all in black and white. So if we follow all the procedures, file all documenmtation to a "T" and even eat our wheaties on the day of the interview, get the white slip and then have it rejected the next morning, what can we do? What could we have done better? The procedures that we have to follow say that there needs to be reasonable grounds for rejection and the reason needs to be documented. What we are seeing in reality is that the officials reserve the right to change the rules at any time. It's all in the best interest of our nations security I'm sure.

It's interesting that my wife mentioned profiles of the VO's on 001. I have often thought about it. Seeing what tendencies each one has. From reading posts of interview experiances, I know which ones I hope we don't get.

My mamma said life is like an office of VO's, you never know which one your gonna get. :blink: :) :rolleyes:

A good point I read in some thread (ugh, so many threads, so little time) was that since the VO has a daily quota and therefore about 5-10 minutes per interview, there is some amount of decision they have been evaluating prior to the actually interview. This is soley based on the application provided in the beginning... and maybe helps explain why they ask certain questions or not in the interview.

But the catch-22 of it is that there is some feeling of urgency to get the Visa process started and frankly, maybe there has only been one visit to one's SO at this point. There is only so much evidence one can include at the very beginning, unless you have been together for a little while. Although, by the time of the interview, the evidence can be a mountain, but there is already some preceptions drawn by the VO, and visitation seems to carry the most weight, in my opinion.

But I don't think the answer is to have three visits prior to starting the application, particularly if it means you cannot visit anytime during the process. This would seem to also look not favorably by the VO.

My gut says that the 'best practice' approach is to have a visit or two before and [one or two] after starting the application.

A good point I read in some thread (ugh, so many threads, so little time) was that since the VO has a daily quota and therefore about 5-10 minutes per interview, there is some amount of decision they have been evaluating prior to the actually interview.  This is soley based on the application provided in the beginning... and maybe helps explain why they ask certain questions or not in the interview.

But the catch-22 of it is  that there is some feeling of urgency to get the Visa process started and frankly, maybe there has only been one visit to one's SO at this point. There is only so much evidence one can include at the very beginning, unless you have been together for a little while. Although, by the time of the interview, the evidence can be a mountain, but there is already some preceptions drawn by the VO, and visitation seems to carry the most weight, in my opinion.

But I don't think the answer is to have three visits prior to starting the application, particularly if it means you cannot visit anytime during the process. This would seem to also look not favorably by the VO.

My gut says that the 'best practice' approach is to have a visit or two before and [one or two] after starting the application.

Yes, I think that the extended time required to get a visa (as well as the great distance and cost) makes people think that they must file an application after 1 visit. I know my SO wanted to. If I look at it from a VO's perspective - most people are suspicious that a real relationship can be develed without meeting someone. In fact my SO was telling me she loved me after emailing just 4 months before we had met in person. I was shocked that anyone could fall in love through emails. I was a little more cautious and insisted that we spent adequate time getting to know each other. I've visited 3 times now and although she wishes she were here, I am convinced that I know her very well. Hope the multiple visit theory pans out.

I think that if both sides came prepared to the interview it would help also. If we aren't prepared we don't get the visa, If they aren't prepared, we don't get the visa. There's something wrong with that. After waiting to be with our wives for over a year, I think most of us would be ready. mike and alex both got the "we aren't ready" slip. not anything anyone could do about it.

You know it strange they ask why only one trip, maybe they forget most american get 1 ot 3 week vacation a year, and can not travel without losing thier jobs.

maybe someone should ask a VO if they get more vacation?

Most american can not just drop everything and travel the world on a whim.

I feel the VO are a bit out of touch with what american do for a living and how much vacation time they have.

Robert