My fiance got the white slip today.

We got to the consulate at around 6:30 and there were already about 30 people ahead of us in line. At around 7 they started to let them go in the gates so I came to Blenz. At around 9 my fiance came back out- he said all they do is finger printing and take the brown envelope in the mornings. He was quite quick but many people were still coming out as late as 12.

We went back at 11:30 and were first in line for the 1 pm interview. He said his order inside was about 7th or 8th place so it doesn't seem to matter the order you go in the gate.

His VO was a middle aged man with a thick beard and mustache. My fiance said he was quite nice and seemed relived that my fiance could speak English- he called his English "perfect". I'll try to give a summary of the questions below-

VO: Good afternoon

XM: Good afternoon.

VO: Oh, you can speak English?

XM: Yes.

VO: What is your fiance's name?

XM: (my name... also gave my passport and foreign expert certificate to VO)

VO: When did your fiance come to China?

XM: Around the time of SARS so since 2003.

VO: How did you meet?

XM: (told him the story)

XM: (asked the VO if he wanted to see some paperwork we had notorized in Shenyang over a year about referring to our marriage. Also gave him my letter of intent.)

VO: Sure. (XM gives it to him. VO also asked to see our pics but didn't look closely at them, just flipped thru with no comments).

VO: What is your plan in America?

XM: (told him what we want to do)

VO: Does your fiance own property in the US?

XM: uummm.... no

VO: Where did she live before she came to China?

XM: With her father. (At this time pulled out my dad's I-134 and gave it to the VO who didn't really look at it. Didn't ask for my info).

VO: Do you know what domicile is?

XM: Sorry, I'm not sure

VO: (explains domicile to him. Says that US law is tricky. Asks XM to show some evidence that I had ties to the US. At this time XM was sure we were denied and didn't know what to do. Then VO said that a letter from the university I was accepted to for grad school would be OK. Gratefully, XM pulled out 2 letters and gave it to him.)

VO: Ok, this letter is good enough. You are approved for the visa.

XM: Thanks so much, that's really nice of you.

VO: No problem, you are fully qualified for the visa.

So..... that domicile part was a little tricky- good thing I brought those university letters, even though I deferred my admission until 2006. I didn't even worry about that being a problem... might be because I put my Chinese address on all the forms to show that we live together.

Anyways... glad it's over. We pick up the visa tomorrow afternoon.

Also 2 girls from 001 got the white slip after only a few questions. Their interviews were in Chinese but both girls are marrying former Chinese citizens who were recently naturalized as US citizens so I guess the language isn't really a problem for them. Don't have info about any other people... sorry. He was in and out of there pretty fast and also said he just concentrated on his stuff cuz he was nervous.

Ok.... Sorry it's so long.... Hope it's helpful for some of you.

:P

Congratulations on the visa!!! Good luck in the future too. And thanks for the great question/answer post. Alot of new things to add to my practice list. Today I learned that one-way flights from China to the US are less expensive after 9/12 if this helps anyone with their plans. :greenblob: :greenblob: :greenblob: