Chinese superstition

Well, the chinese new year is coming! Congratuation to all CFL with their lovers!

But there is a Chinese superstition spreading among Chinese society:

After 2/9, according to chinese calendar, the new year is Chicken year. Because 2/4 is the first day of spring in the calendar, then in chicken year, there is no first day of spring, so the superstition is:

When you get married in this chicken year, sooner or later, the husband will die, and the wife will become widow. If the lady gives birth in this year, then the baby will be cursed.

It is a horrible superstition!

What if the bride's year is Rooster. Does that make a difference?

Dan, there was a recent thread on this subject and I think someone said if you planned for it the last Lunar year your ok. Don't really know about your question on "Rooster people". There are any given number of Chinese astrology site out there that go with other 5 signs (metal, wood, water etc.) down to the time of birth if you or she are really concerned.

I think I can definitivly answer this question.

One of my student's mom is a fortune teller. Yesterday I saw her and asked her what a good date is for our wedding. Since my fiance is a rooster and this is the rooster year she said it's very bad luck to get married- for him. Because I'm a monkey, it's ok.

So, if your or your SO is a rooster, it is a VERY bad idea (according to Chinese supersitition) to get married in this year.

She suggested instead we marry next year, the year of the dog. She also told us what months would be more auspicious for us to marry than others. Luckily, the month we're thinking of, April, is a good month. She suggested the middle of the month.

But in fact we'll have 2 "marriages" before that- we'll have our Chinese wedding in July this year and our actual marriage in September this year. Only our American wedding will occur in the year of the dog.

hmm...... I think it's almost better not to ask.....] :blink:

of course that's the middle of the month on the chinese calendar right? So where does it fall on the Julian calendar? Did she say April or the fourth month? That would be may on the Julian calendar.

Luckily I am not superstitious. However we may have a problem keeping dates straight. I will celebrate New Year in October by the Jewish lunar calendar. She will celebrate it in February or there about and we both use the Julian calendar for scheduling.

This will take some careful planning. And we did make plans last year.

I am a rooster and I have not talked with my SO about this. She talked with a fortune teller last year and he/she said she would find her true love. That has come to pass...hehehe... But with the new year I just want to get married, and I know that no month or year will deter us from our love. There have been so many obstacles that the year of____ should not matter.

Dave

of course that's the middle of the month on the chinese calendar right? So where does it fall on the Julian calendar? Did she say April or the fourth month? That would be may on the Julian calendar. 

She was doing the fortune telling on the lunar calandar but translating it to the regular (is it called julian?) one for our wedding. So she meant the real april, not the lunar one.

I'm not sure if I am understanding this right. The marrage thing is to do with anyone who is a Rooster or anyone in general. I am Monkey to her Boar. Someone mentioned it goes to when the we planned it? I am so confused. :rolleyes: I am not worried about her, she doesn't seem superstitious but I wonder about family who is. Besides, it seems a fare bet that most of our wives will out last us anyway so part of that profecy is inevitable anyway. :unsure:

It's only bad luck this time because there is not li chun - the first day of spring, during the rooster year, making it a "widow year".

I never heard of it being bad to have babies though - but in fact it's a relief to hear. Having a baby in a popular year means there will be a boom of kids and more competition for school, etc later. And I'm glad my babies will be in the company of so many of you roosters :blink:

So the problem with marrying in the rooster year is that the bride will be a widow?

Seems for most of us that may mean good luck. Like me I see that many men in here are a tad (ok a mess of years) older than their intended. I guess our ladies have managed to turn a curse into a blessing. This assures they will live long. They wont have to worry that there wont be someone around to care for us in our dotage. I think this is a lucky Li Chun year. So tell your fiances the good news.

Trig how do you like that for rationalizing.