How is Catherine doing?

Catherineli

Thank you Danb, Randy, Larry, Allon and Warren! Hello to Liren too! You're all great friends! Aleve is for Rich men's Disease LOL. Why do rich men have such problems like gout? I'm learning something new here. Randy's encyclopedia idea is also helpful. MY brother has some is taking medicine from his Chinese doctor but someone told him that those medicine may be harmful to his kidney. I'll go and check Aleve. thanks again.

TV is really practical for me. I must get one next week.

Healthy to everyone!

Yajie

Catherine, Hello again. Drinking extra water is highly recommend. Randy said:

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs include over-the-counter options such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve), as well as more-powerful prescription NSAIDs such as indomethacin (Indocin) or celecoxib (Celebrex)."

I believe that indomethacin (Indocin) is the drug that a doctor often prescribes. Can you brother get that? The first time I had gout ( for about 6 month). It was very painful. And the three or four doctors that I saw could not tell me what I had. The 5th doctor I saw told me that I had gout. He prescribed indomethcin and my toe felt so much better in less than 2 or 3 days. If he takes most of the suggested medicine I would suggest he eat something first and also drink plenty of water. Often if I start to fill as a bout of coming on Aleve and drinking plenty of water takes care of the problem. Over time gout may get worse. Sometimes it does not come back. Hot dogs and bologna will often bring a tough a gout to me. Especially when I eat too much of those meats.

Gout can be very painful. Danb

Edited by danb (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I woke up to an overcast day. The Tulsa sky looked like a pot of oriental porridge. I saw my excuses to skip the church. So next fifteen minutes saw me shopping in Walmart. I bought some gourmet food including a dozen of sausages. Happily I drove back to my apartment area and parked my car at its right place. Steadily and gracefully I carried two bagfuls of food products with my two hands out of my car. I also had an armful of a pile of flattened card boxes in my arms. I'm moving to my son's city next month. Walking to my apartment, I had so much stuff in my hands and in my arms that my vision was completely covered.

"Raoof, Ruff-------Arff-----". Suddenly out of nowhere, two big dogs, maybe dachshunds, were growling and barking at me! They enclosed me within a minute. I was totally unprepared for their snarling and gnashing. They lifted up their long big head and opened their blood-colored mouth to lick my pants, my blouse and my everywhere. Subconsciously, I'd dropped the card boxes to the pavement. Needless to say, I had all my goosebumps. But I was also conscious enough to remember some widespread stories of some dogs biting someone to death in America. I knew that I had to get myself together and stay calm. So I was just standing there still. I even didn't yell at the dogs. I was wise enough to try to get out my sausages and toss the sausages for the dogs to chase. It was a way to untangle the dogs from me.

Just at this moment, a young handsome man walked over to me. He scolded at the dogs and chased them away for me. Right away I was watching him in anger! Automatically I believed that the young man was the dogs' owner.

If I say that my heart had jumped out of my chest from the panic a minute ago, now looking at the young man, I would say my eyes were shooting out a sword at this young man. I was staring at him for quite a few seconds. He was also looking at me maybe waiting for me to say thank-you to him. No way! In my heart I was swearing, "You son of bitch, do you want me to kill you?"

I'm glad that I put myself under control. I only raised my voice loud at him,

"Should you say something to me?" I was implying him to apologize to me.

"Grab your stuff, go home," he smiled quietly.

With that, I realized that he was helping me to drive the dogs away. He was my angel! I was so ashamed of myself. Surely I gave him thanks but I was like a flat tire, I couldn't move a step with the things in my arms. I was so much frightened. Again this young man carried my card boxes walking all the way with me to to my apartment. I'm proud of myself being calm and brave at the crucial moment but I'm also ashamed of myself flying into rage at my rescuer.

Amberjack, you'll be alright soon as I'm praying for you!

Hi friends, do you have some good ways to drive wild dogs away? This morning after the panic, I saw the two dogs barking at everyone who was passing by. They must have been abandoned.

• Like 4

Catherine, Hello again. Drinking extra water is highly recommend. Randy said:

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs include over-the-counter options such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve), as well as more-powerful prescription NSAIDs such as indomethacin (Indocin) or celecoxib (Celebrex)."

I believe that indomethacin (Indocin) is the drug that a doctor often prescribes. Can you brother get that? The first time I had gout ( for about 6 month). It was very painful. And the three or four doctors that I saw could not tell me what I had. The 5th doctor I saw told me that I had gout. He prescribed indomethcin and my toe felt so much better in less than 2 or 3 days. If he takes most of the suggested medicine I would suggest he eat something first and also drink plenty of water. Often if I start to fill as a bout of coming on Aleve and drinking plenty of water takes care of the problem. Over time gout may get worse. Sometimes it does not come back. Hot dogs and bologna will often bring a tough a gout to me. Especially when I eat too much of those meats.

Gout can be very painful. Danb

Thank you very much for sharing Danb. I don't quite understand the medicine that you recommended. So I'll get help to get it. I so appreciate your time typing those kind tips. Thank you again.

Catherine if you think that these dogs are strays or even if you think that they have owners that live near you call the Animal Control people in the city and they will come and get them. If you think some of your neighbors own them they are bad neighbors for letting them run loose. All states that I know of and especially in towns have leash laws. That means when they are outside they are supposed to be on a leash so they can control them from frightening other people or injuring them. As an alternative, you could get yourself some pepper spray. They make it in all sizes. You can get it for your keychain. That should be enough to take care of them.

I don't think that they meant you any harm or they would have. It actually sounds like they were playing with you but still bad mannered dogs.

Thank you for your prayers.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Today I found that the dogs just came in to our residential area from somewhere else. My apartment area is very safe and decent as a matter of fact. No, the two dogs were not leashed. They were chasing other people too. They are gone today.

Good to see Larry again! But I'm low and sad. I am leaving Tulsa soon. I will miss this city very much. I'm emotional a lot.

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

The key to so much of life is preparation, so prepare as this could happen again (always happens when we least expect it).

• Get a whistle and clip it to your key chain
  • Get a small can of mace (pepper spray) and keep in your purse.

If attacker comes (human or animal) you can blow whistle for help/stop the attacker or use the mace.

Rehearse (practice) as to what you will do next time you have trouble. After you buy it, BE SURE you understand which end to point the mace or you will shoot the mace into your own face and make things worse.

Be sure to keep the mace in a portion of your purse (maybe separate pocket) where you can quickly find it and if you are ever around small children, keep away so they cannot find it.

Keep a good mind to your new home and maybe it will surprise you and be better than you expect. Do some research and find places of interest, new restaurants, things to do, beautiful nature to explore (remember the whistle and mace...I was out hiking once and encountered a big brown bear...I was scared and the bear was scared so we just backed away from each other very very slowly....)

Where will you move to? Is it near where you live now? Is it a big city? or a small town? What will you do there? Do you already have a job lined up? Fortunately with the internet, you are never very far from (e.g. you can always access) your friends and family. Being near your son will be a plus. My wife and I have been waiting so long for my stepdaughter to come live with us...hopefully she can come soon...such a long wait for adult children of U.S. Citizens

• Like 1

Hi Catherine,

I am always late to the party but have been busy. I have a background in medicine, but I am not a doctor. I am also a sufferer of injuries that still cause a high degree of pain. This is for you and some of the guys here who have gout or chronic pain.

Over the years, gout has gone from what was thought to be a genetic problem (too much uracil, a protein in DNA), to right now, too much uric acid. The name for liquid waste to us is urine, derived from uric acid. It was called the rich man's disease because it was thought spices, which only rich men could afford, caused gout. It's actually caused by kidney inefficiency. DanB is right that forcing fluids like water dilute the uric acid in the blood and increase excretion, relieving the pain of gout. Conversely, salt is the enemy of gout since it causes fluid retention.

The uric acid is a by product of waste when you eat. Your kidneys clean that up but with gout patients, kidney efficiency is reduced -- for uric acid reduction anyway. So crystals form in the joints, usually in the toes and often in fingers and other joints. The crystals are quite similar to kidney stones, and are just as painful.

A substance called purines exists in food, which produces uric acid in the blood. So avoid foods high in purines like organ meats, and seafood. Also high sugar stuff like honey, sweets, pastries (including breads). Breads (and beer) contain yeast which also aggravate gout.

Good stuff to eat is anything that is considered anti-inflammatory -- cherries (very high on the list), DanB's cranberries, and fruit. Practically all fruit is good but avoid high fructose in fruit juices. Cinnamon also lowers the sugar in your blood. Turmeric is a spice from India mostly but comes in pill form as Curcumin and is really good for gout and other diet issues like high blood pressure and arthritis. Veggies are also excellent generally.

Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese) and soy products also help lower uric acid. (A strange phenomenon.)

Medicines obtainable in any health food store are Vitamin C (1000 mgs a day) and cherry extract. Grape seed and Resveratrol as well. These are all available in any Costco in China and the US. (Same with Turmeric and Circumin.)

Now as to ibuprofen and the NSAIDS....I personally have been through almost all of them from all of my injuries. The problem with using them is your stomach (and kidneys and liver). Even if your stomach is well, after taking NSAIDS for a time, it won't be well. NSAIDs injure the lining of the stomach and especially affect the ability of the stomach to react well to acid, which then cause extreme heartburn.

Indomethacin (or Indocin) is a high dose NSAID in an older formulary. It is very effective against arthritis and gout but do not take it for any length of time. I lasted 14 days. Any sign of blood in the stool or urine, or high stomach pain, stop taking it and go to the doctor.

Do not take Celebrex under any circumstances. It is used for patients with stomach problems from taking NSAIDs but has other serious side effects, including heart issues (heart attack, clots, and stroke). Naproxen sodium (Aleve) has similar problems. Unfortunately so does ibuprofen. People have died from NSAIDs, usually when they combine with other pain products like acetaminophen (will not help gout at all) and/or mixing with alcohol or cough medicine. (It's the amount of the dose there.) By the way, if you take acetaminophen (Tylenol) never take more than 1000 mgs. in one dose. Period. Liver and kidney damage has happened with many patients, some causing death using more than 1000 mgs. It exists in cough medicines like Nyquil and can be lethal if more than 1000 is ingested. Notice most cough medicines now have less than that dosage. I guess people had to die for that knowledge.

Some people will take stomach acid reducers like Prevacid or Prilosec with the NSAID but again they have long term problems.

The best solution I have found is to take your NSAID in the middle of a good meal. Not at the start or end. But the middle. Flush it down with water (not milk or fruit juice). (And get caffeine out of your diet anyway -- including those sugary sodas like, well, you know.)

Instead of taking Indocin, try increasing the dosage of ibuprofen. Usually two ibuprofen (400 mgs) is normal dosage. But you can go as high as 800 which is considered a therapeutic dose, or the highest dosage you can take without seeing a doctor. But 800 mgs is quite a dose. It will cause tinnitus (ringing of the ears), drowsiness, and increased risk of bleeding.

The pain of gout is severe but manageable. I have seen guys with gout run the marathon. Kidney stones are very painful. And with stones, there is no real cure except to stay away from phosphates like bananas or orange juice. Strangely, both are good for gout. I have seen many patients throw up just from the pain of kidney stones.

That's my 2 cents. I have learned it from many years of pain and study. I hope your brother gets better. He will if you are taking care of him.

• Like 2

Allon - Thanks for teaching us about gout. I learned a lot. I had heard about it mainly in context of old books and movies about the old British Navy Sailing ships, which carried limes and citrus to help combat gout. The diet at sea included heavy doses of sugar cane (mainly dark rum which was consumed in large quantities) and a lack of fresh fruits and vegetables on the ship which also helped contribute to this painful condition. https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/52/3/421/1776400

• Like 1

That was a great writeup Allon. I don't know any better thing to say except just great. If Catherin passes all that on to her brother it will certainly help him for sure. I knew a lot about gout after being an EMT for 22 years but nothing like what you have presented here. Top notch.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I've not been here for quite a few days. Wow, now I got five "likes" today. I love the credits! Thank you very much.

These days I'm very anxious and nervous. I got a new job working for another public school system in Oklahoma City. I'll do ESL for a middle school next school year. I didn't have fear when I came to US in 2015. But now I have so much fear with my new job. I am so afraid of another transition. I need you guys to encourage me please. Moving my small home is not easy for me either.

I have to go back to the school kids now.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 5

Hi Catherine,

I am always late to the party but have been busy. I have a background in medicine, but I am not a doctor. I am also a sufferer of injuries that still cause a high degree of pain. This is for you and some of the guys here who have gout or chronic pain.

Over the years, gout has gone from what was thought to be a genetic problem (too much uracil, a protein in DNA), to right now, too much uric acid. The name for liquid waste to us is urine, derived from uric acid. It was called the rich man's disease because it was thought spices, which only rich men could afford, caused gout. It's actually caused by kidney inefficiency. DanB is right that forcing fluids like water dilute the uric acid in the blood and increase excretion, relieving the pain of gout. Conversely, salt is the enemy of gout since it causes fluid retention.

The uric acid is a by product of waste when you eat. Your kidneys clean that up but with gout patients, kidney efficiency is reduced -- for uric acid reduction anyway. So crystals form in the joints, usually in the toes and often in fingers and other joints. The crystals are quite similar to kidney stones, and are just as painful.

A substance called purines exists in food, which produces uric acid in the blood. So avoid foods high in purines like organ meats, and seafood. Also high sugar stuff like honey, sweets, pastries (including breads). Breads (and beer) contain yeast which also aggravate gout.

Good stuff to eat is anything that is considered anti-inflammatory -- cherries (very high on the list), DanB's cranberries, and fruit. Practically all fruit is good but avoid high fructose in fruit juices. Cinnamon also lowers the sugar in your blood. Turmeric is a spice from India mostly but comes in pill form as Curcumin and is really good for gout and other diet issues like high blood pressure and arthritis. Veggies are also excellent generally.

Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese) and soy products also help lower uric acid. (A strange phenomenon.)

Medicines obtainable in any health food store are Vitamin C (1000 mgs a day) and cherry extract. Grape seed and Resveratrol as well. These are all available in any Costco in China and the US. (Same with Turmeric and Circumin.)

Now as to ibuprofen and the NSAIDS....I personally have been through almost all of them from all of my injuries. The problem with using them is your stomach (and kidneys and liver). Even if your stomach is well, after taking NSAIDS for a time, it won't be well. NSAIDs injure the lining of the stomach and especially affect the ability of the stomach to react well to acid, which then cause extreme heartburn.

Indomethacin (or Indocin) is a high dose NSAID in an older formulary. It is very effective against arthritis and gout but do not take it for any length of time. I lasted 14 days. Any sign of blood in the stool or urine, or high stomach pain, stop taking it and go to the doctor.

Do not take Celebrex under any circumstances. It is used for patients with stomach problems from taking NSAIDs but has other serious side effects, including heart issues (heart attack, clots, and stroke). Naproxen sodium (Aleve) has similar problems. Unfortunately so does ibuprofen. People have died from NSAIDs, usually when they combine with other pain products like acetaminophen (will not help gout at all) and/or mixing with alcohol or cough medicine. (It's the amount of the dose there.) By the way, if you take acetaminophen (Tylenol) never take more than 1000 mgs. in one dose. Period. Liver and kidney damage has happened with many patients, some causing death using more than 1000 mgs. It exists in cough medicines like Nyquil and can be lethal if more than 1000 is ingested. Notice most cough medicines now have less than that dosage. I guess people had to die for that knowledge.

Some people will take stomach acid reducers like Prevacid or Prilosec with the NSAID but again they have long term problems.

The best solution I have found is to take your NSAID in the middle of a good meal. Not at the start or end. But the middle. Flush it down with water (not milk or fruit juice). (And get caffeine out of your diet anyway -- including those sugary sodas like, well, you know.)

Instead of taking Indocin, try increasing the dosage of ibuprofen. Usually two ibuprofen (400 mgs) is normal dosage. But you can go as high as 800 which is considered a therapeutic dose, or the highest dosage you can take without seeing a doctor. But 800 mgs is quite a dose. It will cause tinnitus (ringing of the ears), drowsiness, and increased risk of bleeding.

The pain of gout is severe but manageable. I have seen guys with gout run the marathon. Kidney stones are very painful. And with stones, there is no real cure except to stay away from phosphates like bananas or orange juice. Strangely, both are good for gout. I have seen many patients throw up just from the pain of kidney stones.

That's my 2 cents. I have learned it from many years of pain and study. I hope your brother gets better. He will if you are taking care of him.

Thank you very much for typing so much for me. I've explored a lot according to your idea. I appreciate it a lot.

• Like 1

Thank you Larry for being there. I'm glad that you're back to CFL. I'm sure that you're doing very well.

I am not sure if this is a good decision for me to move to another city. Yes, I'll be living in one area with my son but I already know Tulsa very well and I have some very good friends and church at Tulsa. No matter what and where, I'll stay alive!!

• Like 3