How is Catherine doing?

Catherineli

I have faith in you! :)

Transitions are always difficult, but you will do well in OKC. You will have your son nearby to help you, and I am sure that you will find a local church quickly that you will feel comfortable with.

No worries!

• Like 1

I've never been there but I saw the very famous musical movie when I was young and I always imagined it to be a very special place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mloevRLSg0g

Somewhat near the Tulsa area they performed this live every year. Outdoor theater. I've watched it. If you haven't you should.

Catherine, I don't get in CFL much anymore. Lots has happened I see. I recall you living near the flight simulator company there & a small Chinese food place was pretty good eating.

Anyway, my wife would wish you live near her to attend your class, if possible. She regrets not going to school the first 2 years in USA. Now she is training athletes in Auburn, AL & after she plans her workout, she then practices her English for them. It is hard. She has her phone pronounce words & she practices saying it out loud on couch. Everyday. She feels so unsure sometimes, yet she has all the knowledge the team needs. In Italy the head coach & 3 best players left, so she had to coach a game against the Italian National Team, which brought on 2 more good players & change to a better defense. Oh my gosh. So many problems, but she just could not think in English fast enough to help, other than calling time outs at the right times. Says she will never let herself get into that situation again. But she lived it down. Very embarrassing for her. Still training though. So, be brave. Keep going. Keep positive like folks say here.

Coco found ESL teachers in high school useless because all they knew was Spanish. In fact I they were annoyed that a Chinese girl showed up. Alabama is easier, but Texas has a law that kids must have 2 years of a foreign language, but no Chinese taught. So, I will be fighting that issue, or get her tested out at a University I guess. No point in her taking a 3rd language.

Good to see you here. Of course you will fin the culture in OKC a bit different than Tulsa.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Catherine, moving is a shock to everyone. But you came here, didn't you? And you are doing well.

All Chinese women have the great gift of strength and courage. No matter what you do or decide, it will be the best for you. If not, you know to make a change if needed.

I come from a military family and was in it myself. I went through 18 schools before I graduated from high school. I felt lucky to have attended one school all 4 years of high school. And I have been all over the world, seen many things good and bad.

Each change made me stronger. When I was young I really missed my friends when we moved. I vowed often that I would return. But believe me, it is never the same going back. It grows while you grow.

The nice thing is you leave behind idiots that gave you a lot of heart and headache. Say bye bye to them and know that you are prepared to avoid those mistakes next time.

And yes, you will find a nice church that will welcome you as churches do. Find a good one that nourishes your soul.

Whatever you do, you know where to go for support.

• Like 2

HI Friends,

Thank you very much for the likes!

I have a question today. A few months ago, I changed my car insurance policy from Shelter Insurance to another one. People told me that I should feel free to change any insurance I like. They told me that I don't have to have permission from Shelter Insurance. So I moved to another car insurance quietly when the time at Shelter Insurance was due. Now Shelter Insurance put me into Credit Collection Service without letting me know and without sending me a bill. They want me to pay cancellation fee, over 30 dollars. It's not a lot of money but I just feel bad, why? Do you pay all cancellation fee when you change another car insurance company?

Mr. Doug, I'll be in the south of OKC. I wish I could meet your wife as well so I may have one more Chinese friend. It's a fun to learn English for me. Once I learned something new, I'm excited for quite a few days.

For example:

"How are you?"

"I'm busy. I'm as busy as a mosquito or a skeeter in a colony of nudists." What a fun!

Foreigners can't take learning English as a stress or pressure or it becomes a pressure. Your wife is very much blessed!

I've never been there but I saw the very famous musical movie when I was young and I always imagined it to be a very special place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mloevRLSg0g

Somewhat near the Tulsa area they performed this live every year. Outdoor theater. I've watched it. If you haven't you should.

Catherine, I don't get in CFL much anymore. Lots has happened I see. I recall you living near the flight simulator company there & a small Chinese food place was pretty good eating.

Anyway, my wife would wish you live near her to attend your class, if possible. She regrets not going to school the first 2 years in USA. Now she is training athletes in Auburn, AL & after she plans her workout, she then practices her English for them. It is hard. She has her phone pronounce words & she practices saying it out loud on couch. Everyday. She feels so unsure sometimes, yet she has all the knowledge the team needs. In Italy the head coach & 3 best players left, so she had to coach a game against the Italian National Team, which brought on 2 more good players & change to a better defense. Oh my gosh. So many problems, but she just could not think in English fast enough to help, other than calling time outs at the right times. Says she will never let herself get into that situation again. But she lived it down. Very embarrassing for her. Still training though. So, be brave. Keep going. Keep positive like folks say here.

Coco found ESL teachers in high school useless because all they knew was Spanish. In fact I they were annoyed that a Chinese girl showed up. Alabama is easier, but Texas has a law that kids must have 2 years of a foreign language, but no Chinese taught. So, I will be fighting that issue, or get her tested out at a University I guess. No point in her taking a 3rd language.

Good to see you here. Of course you will fin the culture in OKC a bit different than Tulsa.

Catherine, moving is a shock to everyone. But you came here, didn't you? And you are doing well.

All Chinese women have the great gift of strength and courage. No matter what you do or decide, it will be the best for you. If not, you know to make a change if needed.

I come from a military family and was in it myself. I went through 18 schools before I graduated from high school. I felt lucky to have attended one school all 4 years of high school. And I have been all over the world, seen many things good and bad.

Each change made me stronger. When I was young I really missed my friends when we moved. I vowed often that I would return. But believe me, it is never the same going back. It grows while you grow.

The nice thing is you leave behind idiots that gave you a lot of heart and headache. Say bye bye to them and know that you are prepared to avoid those mistakes next time.

And yes, you will find a nice church that will welcome you as churches do. Find a good one that nourishes your soul.

Whatever you do, you know where to go for support.

This is very encouraging! Thank you Allon for your comfort. I appreciate that. Recently I feel better now imaging my next school in a positive way. I'm also shadowing the Tulsa teachers. American children are too much spoiled at school. Many of them are impossible to the teachers. I also see some other teachers very efficient. They kids listen to them and obey whatever their teacher says. I observe all the details. Chinese children are much easier to handle with.

I like "Byebye, Idiots, bye bye----" LOL

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Catherine, Not quite clear what is going on with your old insurance company. Did you have insurance begin from a certain date and end another date? You should look at your old policy to see what it says. If it specify certain dates then you are probably responsible for payments until you notify the insurance company. When did you make payments to the insurance company. Every month, or every 6 months , or ??? I suggest that you ask your new insurance agent for some advice. Also be careful about not paying your bill. if you do in fact owe it and you dont pay. Your credit may get hurt. Perhaps some other guys could give you their opinion on this matter. Good Luck. Danb

HI Friends,

Thank you very much for the likes!

I have a question today. A few months ago, I changed my car insurance policy from Shelter Insurance to another one. People told me that I should feel free to change any insurance I like. They told me that I don't have to have permission from Shelter Insurance. So I moved to another car insurance quietly when the time at Shelter Insurance was due. Now Shelter Insurance put me into Credit Collection Service without letting me know and without sending me a bill. They want me to pay cancellation fee, over 30 dollars. It's not a lot of money but I just feel bad, why? Do you pay all cancellation fee when you change another car insurance company?

A car insurance policy is usually six months or one year, even when you are paying monthly.

If you have an automatic renewal policy, you may be responsible for notifying them when you don't want to renew.

They are still responsible for your policy, even if you "forget" to pay or renew probably for the 30 days - so, for example, if you have an accident during the 30 days after your policy "ends", you could still file a claim, unless you explicitly cancel it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Friends, thank you for telling me. I pay every 6 months for my insurance. Some people told me that I don't have to notify my old Insurance after I have a new Insurance. I stupidly accepted the idea. then the old insurance put me to the Collection for "cancellation fee". It's good that I was not sued. I paid this sum of money this morning. It's a lesson in my growing.

Today I have another question. When I'm booking round trip ticket to go back to China, I see "self transfer" online. What does it mean? Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

I didn't know this term "self transfer" either so I looked it up. Sounds like it is what Kayak.com and other travel web sites commonly refer to as a "Hacker fare". That is booking a trip and using 2 or more airlines that are not code share partners.

Please see detailed explanations below from Sky-scanner web site. Also note: Not sure where you are going in China or if you booked ticket already, but Hainan Airlines was aggressively advertising new routes and had some attractive non stop flight fares when we last booked a visitor from China 9 months ago, so you might want to give them a look.

==========> From Skyscanner.com

Non-protected transfers

Non-protected transfers are flight itineraries that are booked separately with two different airlines that do not have a shared ticketing agreement. This means that the airlines do not have an obligation to honor your onward ticket if the first flight is delayed and you miss your connection. In most cases, you will need to pick up any hold luggage and check it back in for your next flight, as well as possibly changing terminals, depending on your flights.

There is therefore a risk involved in booking these itineraries, and we would always recommend that you ensure that there is plenty of connecting time so that this risk is reduced. Remember that it’s also the passenger’s responsibility to check any visa requirements. For non-protected transfers, you will also need to clear security, customs and immigration in the connecting flight country before checking in for your next flight, and therefore a visa or transit visa might be required.

Self-transfer flights

Self-transfer flight itineraries are similar to non-protected transfers in that they consist of flights operated by different airlines that do not have a shared ticketing agreement. This means that the airlines do not have an obligation to honor your onward ticket if the first flight is delayed and you miss your connection. However, in the case of Self-transfer flights, your reservation is made via a travel agent who does offer some form of guarantee over any cancellations or missed connections.

We recommend that you check the terms and conditions for the travel agent carefully before booking. Importantly if you do miss a connection or have a problem traveling, it’s essential that you contact the travel agent as soon as possible - airline staff themselves will not usually be able to assist with re-booking. Remember that it’s also the passenger’s responsibility to check any visa requirements. For self-transfer flights, you will also need to clear security, customs and immigration in the connecting flight country before checking in for your next flight, and therefore a visa or transit visa might be required.

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

We now do self-transfer when we fly to Wuhan. There is now a direct flight there from San Francisco on China Southern. But to get there we fly United from Eugene to San Francisco. We check in at Eugene and then in San Francisco we go downstairs and get our luggage and then check in again at San Francisco. It is a hassle to go through security twice so leave plenty of time between flights. But having a nonstop flight to Wuhan is worth the trouble.

Edited by DocMartin817 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A potential problem with self-transfer flights is the differing baggage regulations, especially on the local segment vs. what you're allowed on an international flight.

Jiaying found that out when she booked a "cheaper" flight through a Chinatown agent, instead of the flight I found on Travelocity. When she got to the airport, she found the excess baggage fee more than ate up the "savings".

• Like 1

I found out that I'd better avoid the self-transfer flights because I have to claim my luggage myself before I check in again to another flight. Between the sections of different flights, I don't want to spend energy self transferring my baggage.

TrueBlue, DocMartin and Randy, thank you all!

• Like 2