How is Catherine doing?

Catherineli

I found a very practical link to help Chinese people with English pronunciation and other things in English.

Mrs. Americans will like these.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Friends,

I have a question now about China law for those who have experienced the same. I have an apartment in China whose title is my name. Now I wonder if I can sell or give it away to other people without me being present. I have written a delegating note with my fingerprints on it. Is that legally alright in China? I thought some of your Mrs. American may have experienced the same. Thank you in advance!

Hello Friends,

I have a question now about China law for those who have experienced the same. I have an apartment in China whose title is my name. Now I wonder if I can sell or give it away to other people without me being present. I have written a delegating note with my fingerprints on it. Is that legally alright in China? I thought some of your Mrs. American may have experienced the same. Thank you in advance!

Hi, Catherine. You will need a power of attorney form to be authenticated by the Chinese consulate. What you have may be adequate for that purpose, but it will still need to be authenticated by the Consulate.

The selling agent may require that you use a form that they supply.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I found a very practical link to help Chinese people with English pronunciation and other things in English.

Back when I was teach ESL at our local church, a common word that they always got wrong was WORLD. Always came out as WORD. I would teach them to say WERE OLD.

• Like 1

Back when I was teach ESL at our local church, a common word that they always got wrong was WORLD. Always came out as WORD. I would teach them to say WERE OLD.

Yes - I often try to guide my wife TOWARD the correct pronunciation, rather than to try to tell her directly. What throws me for a loop, though, is when she says something that sounds to me like "Why are you saying 'world' instead of 'world'?" That is, when I can't distinguish between HER two pronunciations

It's very hard to correct our pronunciation after we become adults. It's the same way that you can't change your southern English to New York English. "Once Okie, always Okie."

The ICA alphabet used by aviation and shipping worldwide now was adapted by the military and they use it as well. It helps a lot when you are quoting a word or a code to someone on the phone or radio and there is squelch, making the letters or numbers hard to decipher.

One of the numbers that is interesting is 3. In the Teutonic world of the West, the "th" is rather easy and we often don't understand what is so difficult about it. (There is a lot of history here.) But I found out when my wife came over and had to pronounce the number. "Tree, tree, tree" was all I could get.

So I taught her to say "Thuree, thurty, thurteen." She still does not get it.

So I completely understood why the ICA alphabet pronounces the number 3 as "tree."

Now pronounce "third." (Is anyone laughing yet?)

After the age of 25, our verbal literacy, the ability to learn a new language, is greatly diminished (most people). It's easy when you are young and learning your first language, or even a second or third, or more, languages. But by 25, that ability is much more difficult. It explains the problem.

But it does not prevent me from enjoying it.

One guy when I was in SEA, always made fun of a waitress at a hootch restaurant we went to who happened to have been Japanese. (Chinese say their "R's" very well but the Japanese have trouble.)

He would always ask for blueberry pie.

The waitress would say, Sorry, no bleubelly pie. and of course, he would roar. This went on every time we went there.

One day we all gathered and again, he asked for blueberry pie.

The waitress turned to him and sternly said, I told you Amelican GI, no f******g bluebelly pie."

He never asked again.

haahhaha, blueberry, bluebelly, hahahah, this guy didn't mean to offend or insult. She shouldn't have been upset. It frustrates me to see some American friends being unable to pronounce my Chinese name. Americans don't say "xiao" properly and my name "Jie" is difficult for them too.

Today I have a different question for you guys who know more than I do. My son has his working visa now. So his visa from students' visa has been changed to a working visa. but I guess his working visa is still for a non-immigrant one. In 2013, I applied for his green card, which means he has a record of immigration tendency. My son wants to visit China by the end of the 2018 as he has not been back to China for more than five years. The problem is: Will he be denied to come back to America?

I'm moving to another city so I may not have Internet until a few days later.

Thank you everyone for being patient and helpful to me.

• 3 weeks later...

"Helloooooo, who is there please?" Dear friends, I need your help again.

I need an English term to mean " A large farm fenced or bordered by a horse running. In history, an emperor allowed a horse to run as much as the horse could, then a farm was enclosed tracing the horse foot step."

I don't want to use plain English but I can't find professional terms or more vivid ones. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

There is not an English term for that, your description is probably as good as it can be.

Farms/ranches can only fence land they own and then only as much fence as they can afford. (Not thinking of grazing permits here)

Unless you're Ted Turner, you can not let a horse run and then fence the area it crossed.

Even in older times, when there was still land to claim, I can't think of a historical reference to a similar activity - or a name for it.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

• Like 1

There is not an English term for that, your description is probably as good as it can be.

Farms/ranches can only fence land they own and then only as much fence as they can afford. (Not thinking of grazing permits here)

Unless you're Ted Turner, you can not let a horse run and then fence the area it crossed.

Even in older times, when there was still land to claim, I can't think of a historical reference to a similar activity - or a name for it.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

I'm pretty sure that in American history there have been similar methods of settling formerly unsettled areas through land grabs, probably not with horses, but I'll see what I can find.

Not quite as Catherine is describing - from https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/settlers-race-to-claim-land

The word(s) would be land grab, or land rush. Also look up "Homestead" for land that was parceled out for free to anyone who would settle there.

[PDF]How the West Was Settled - National Archives

On this day in 1893, the largest land run in history begins with more than 100,000 people pouring into the Cherokee Strip of Oklahoma to claim valuable land that had once belonged to Native Americans. With a single shot from a pistol the mad dash began, and land-hungry pioneers on horseback and in carriages raced forward to stake their claims to the best acres.

lossy-page1-1920px-FWA-PBA-Paintings_and

By the end of the day (April 22, 1889), both Oklahoma City and Guthrie had established cities of around 10,000 people in literally half a day. As Harper's Weekly put it:
At twelve o'clock on Monday, April 22d, the resident population of Guthrie was nothing; before sundown it was at least ten thousand. In that time streets had been laid out, town lots staked off, and steps taken toward the formation of a municipal government.[6]

• Like 1