How is Catherine doing?

Catherineli

Hi Friends,

How is everyone doing? I've been doing very well with my new school. I'm still teaching ESL for a middle school. My students are from different countries. Next week, we will do a culture presentation. I lost the link on youtube about Chinese people's reaction to "I love you" or "Wo ai ni." Who can give me the link again please? It's a program by two young men talking about Chinese culture. Chinese people give a funny laugh at hearing "I love you". I can't find the link. Thank you everyone, in advance!

Hello, Chinese Catherine! I hope you are doing well!

It's difficult to search for a specific occurrence of "I love you" or "Wo ai ni". You might check the MamaHuHu or Asian Boss or Off the Great Wall contributors.

I did find this, but it's about japan

Hello, Yajie!

It s good to hear from you. I am glad that you are settling in well in Oklahoma City.

Rose says "I love you" to me often, but that is because she knows that it is part of American culture.

When we visit her parents, it is never spoken - it is shown in their actions.

I'm sorry that I do not have a link for you!

HI Randy, Hi Warren, good to see you again!

About "I love you" in Chinese culture, we used to laugh a lot here at CFL. It was very funny when Chinese children say "I love you Mom", then the mom asked, "Do you need money?" or sometimes, the mom laughed out loud. Someone posted the link about the "I love you----laugh", I just can't find it.

I think many of us still remember our laugh about the Chinese customs.

Here is the Chinese Catherine again :)

Here is the link, I found it finally. The inspiration is from American Randy :)

Warren, Chinese people don't have problems saying I love you in English because they are speaking foreign language. Most don't say I love you in Chinese.

Here is the link

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

Hi Friends,

Today I have two questions.

(1) I have been in American for three and a half years so far but I still don't sense something sensitive. I call myself "Chinese Catherine" for fun or just to be funny. I called Randy "American Randy" once also to be funny. But other American people tell me that is rude or racial to for someone else to call me "Chinese Catherine". Do you guys feel the same?

(2) After I applied for my son for his green card, it has been five years. I've forgotten where is the immigration website to check the information related. Now it's time for us to go through the paper work. What should I do now as the main applicant? My son has his working visa that allows him to work 6 years. But should I submit some forms or what? Randy, I need your help again. You used to tell me that I don't need to do anything. My son said the same. But I am just anxious.

Thank you, Friends, for faithfully helping me.

Best wishes!

Catherine

Hi Friends,

Today I have two questions.

(1) I have been in American for three and a half years so far but I still don't sense something sensitive. I call myself "Chinese Catherine" for fun or just to be funny. I called Randy "American Randy" once also to be funny. But other American people tell me that is rude or racial to for someone else to call me "Chinese Catherine". Do you guys feel the same?

(2) After I applied for my son for his green card, it has been five years. I've forgotten where is the immigration website to check the information related. Now it's time for us to go through the paper work. What should I do now as the main applicant? My son has his working visa that allows him to work 6 years. But should I submit some forms or what? Randy, I need your help again. You used to tell me that I don't need to do anything. My son said the same. But I am just anxious.

Thank you, Friends, for faithfully helping me.

Best wishes!

Catherine

It's kind of a cute name that you put in the title. Yes, it can be rude or racial, but it distinguishes you as a Chinese with a decidedly American name. It's probably best to use it sparingly (both of us).

I can change the title if you'd like.

Keep an eye on the Visa Bulletin for when your son's priority date becomes current. Yes, just being anxious is MORE than enough effort on your part for now!

LOL I'm always curious with the name Amberjack. Would you please let us know why you call yourself Amber+Jack? I can't understand why Chinese Catherine is racial while Amberjack is not. This topic is a fun for me. I don't mean anything racial or rude.

Randy, please change my title "Chinese Catherine" into a decent one but I give this fun to you, whatever you think it should be.

Mr. Randy, my son's priority date becomes current now. What should I do? I'm not smart.

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

A long time ago I went out to the Gulf Stream fishing on a charter boat and everyone put one dollar in a collection and whoever caught the biggest fish of the day would win a free trip plus all the money. I caught a 27-pound Amberjack and it was the largest fish of the day so I went fishing the next day for free. I've been asked that several times.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Mr. Randy, I don't remember whether I have filed I-485 or not. I will fill it again in case I didn't. Thank you!!

Hi Catherine

You can call yourself whatever you want. Some people are overly sensitive and feel that everything has a negative racial connotation, even when it doesn't. For those people, you can just tell them, " I am Chinese, and I am Catherine...Do you have a problem with how I name myself?" Typically, then the overly sensitive people will back down and be quiet.

It is only negatively racial if you are using race as a method to exclude others from something, or to try and hurt them in some way, due to their race or background. So don't worry - be yourself!

:)