Randy W

• 2 weeks later...

The BBQ in Houston, for the most part, served to remind me of why I used to cook my own brisket, ribs, and chicken. Goode & Company, over on the OTHER side of Houston, was the only actual GOOD stuff. I'm COVERED for BBQ here in Yulin, thank you. Gabby's and Pappas, the two big chains that have taken over, weren't worth writing home about.

Sausage, though, was a definite treat and a gigantic hole in the food supply chain around here. But one of the best German restaurants I've ever been to is the 1920 Restaurant in Guangzhou.

My favorite food while I was there was the Texas Roadhouse (a steak shack in Pasadena with good food and VERY good waitresses) and Bibi's House of Kabob, a surprisingly good little Mediterranean shack in Deer Park.

The other big haul for me was PENS that actually function for more than 2 or 3 usages.

I'm still busy trying to FIX things that don't work any more - three computers (my netbook, a tablet, and my old Sony Clie) died when my wife UNPLUGGED everything so all the little LED lights wouldn't be "wasting electricity" while I was gone. :rotfl: :headbang: :Dah:

It's good to be home - sigh. :victory:

• 1 month later...

Headed for Houston again (Deer Park/Pasadena) - my goals for this trip are to locate some decent BBQ (the reviews for restaurants around Deer Park are horrendous, so I may have to start in Central Texas), huevos rancheros, oh yeah - and to actually accomplish some stuff with my sister's estate now that I have the Letters Testamentary (court letters), and a few visits.

Starting in Austin again, since I had to leave the car there (NOT with my brother). 3 weeks this time. Leaving late Thursday, arrive Sat afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite (HAH) leg of the trip from China to the U.S. I get to the Shenzhen West train station - it's about 1 km from the nearest subway stop. Others get taxis or hop on the city bus - I usually get a guy on a motorcycle, who folds down little platform-style footrests for my feet (and my luggage). Very friendly guys, and a VERY enjoyable ride. The subway takes me to the Futian checkpoint, where I can cross into Hong Kong and take the subway to Hong Kong Central. The guy on the other motorcycle came close to crashing when he shifted his weight.

gallery_1846_729_296731.jpg

Headed for Houston again (Deer Park/Pasadena) - my goals for this trip are to locate some decent BBQ (the reviews for restaurants around Deer Park are horrendous, so I may have to start in Central Texas), huevos rancheros, oh yeah - and to actually accomplish some stuff with my sister's estate now that I have the Letters Testamentary (court letters), and a few visits.

Starting in Austin again, since I had to leave the car there (NOT with my brother). 3 weeks this time. Leaving late Thursday, arrive Sat afternoon.

Two of the goals accomplished - the Salt Lick in Austin was the absolutely BEST BBQ restaurant I've ever been to - about 15 mi. out in the country away from ANY city lights - a GIGANTIC restaurant with a 2 1/2 hour wait, NO liquids served (BYOB), and CASH only

This is the waiting area

gallery_1846_729_543716.jpg

and smoking meats

gallery_1846_729_252061.jpg

Plenty of good Mexican restaurants around Deer Park, although it's hard to pass on the free, easy, and convenient breakfasts at the hotel. Still have huevos rancheros on my list, although I did have a decent huevos divorciados (similar idea, different layout).

• Like 2