Using a Chinese Driver's License in the U.S.

My sister passed away (age 61 from breast cancer) last week and I need to head to the U.S. to close out her affairs.

I have a Chinese driver's license, an old Texas driver's license which expired in 2011, and, of course, my passport.

I'm thinking I'm okay as far as driving, but that I should head for the DPS office as soon as I can to get a current license from the state of Texas. I can use my sister's address.

I think the International Driver's Permit is not possible for a Chinese license.

I won't be able to rent a car with my Chinese license, but I will have my sister's car (provided my brother gives it back - he took her car and is being a real dick about it since he found out that a fourth, non-family member is in her will).

Does this seem about right? I'll be leaving Sunday night.

I would probably risk the driving on an expired license and renew it ASAP after arrival.

From initial research IDP has to do with countries that signed onto the convention, Taiwan did, however mainland China has not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Is a Chinese drivers license good in the united states?

Not by itself. You need an IDP to serve as as translation of your Chinese license. But there are grey areas with Chinese licenses issued on the mainland. China is not party to the treaty that created the IDP and does not honor US licenses (or any other foreign license for that matter) although prosecution is rare.

If the license was issued in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau then it is valid in conjunction with an IDP.

If you do decide to drive in the US, please be aware that traffic laws ARE enforced in the US unlike the chaos on Chinese roads. Yes, I have been to China a number of times and have driven there as well and am quite familiar with the general lack of enforcement of most traffic laws.

Contrary to what was posted by some other posters, an IDP is ONLY needed if your national license isn't in English or readable by an English speaking person. A UK or Austrailian license is fully valid in the US without an IDP. Most other European licenses are valid without an IDP since it's pretty easy to ascertain the driver's name and address even though it's not in English.

Drivers who have a license that uses a non-Roman font set -- Cyrillic (Russia), Chinese, Thai, Arabic, Korean, etc. -- do need to have an IDP or a certified translation of their national license.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061202070650AALSDc8

So a holder of a Taiwan Driver's License would be acceptable in Texas with an IDP, but Mainland China License is not.

I received a traffic citation in Tahoka, Texas and was cited for driving without a Texas driver's license. I am a Chinese national here on business and have a Chinese driver's license, but do not have a international driver's license. I will pay the fine, but am wondering if I am allowed to drive. I was able to rent a car from a rental company with my Chinese license on my last trip. Now, we have company cars, it is insured and I am on the policy.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-drive-in-texas-with-a-foreign-driver-s-licen-939280.html

Texas DMV only indicate visiting only relocating to Texas.

Individuals who hold a driver license from any country other than the U.S., Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan must take the knowledge and driving tests because Texas does not have reciprocity agreements with other countries.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm

Thanks a LOT there, Dan. One saving grace here is that there is a Texas DPS office within walking distance of my sisters home, so I should be able to pull this off even if I can't get a ride.

I found this about inheriting money from a 401K account that may be of interest

What to Do If You Inherit Someone's 401(k)

Inherited IRA. You may also be able to transfer your balance into an inherited IRA (or "stretch IRA"), which must be named and maintained separately from your other IRAs. (For example, it might be called, "Inherited IRA for benefit of Mary Smith as beneficiary of John Smith.") With an inherited IRA, you must withdraw a certain amount each year, based on your life expectancy. Distributions must begin the year following the donor's death, regardless of whether or not you're retired.

Make sure the 401(k) plan trustee transfers the funds directly to the inherited IRA's trustee so you never touch the money; otherwise the transfer may be voided and you'll have to pay taxes on the entire sum that year. Also, if multiple beneficiaries were named, consider asking the plan custodian to split the account so each beneficiary can take distributions as he or she wishes.

My sister passed away (age 61 from breast cancer) last week and I need to head to the U.S. to close out her affairs.

I have a Chinese driver's license, an old Texas driver's license which expired in 2011, and, of course, my passport.

I'm thinking I'm okay as far as driving, but that I should head for the DPS office as soon as I can to get a current license from the state of Texas. I can use my sister's address.

I think the International Driver's Permit is not possible for a Chinese license.

I won't be able to rent a car with my Chinese license, but I will have my sister's car (provided my brother gives it back - he took her car and is being a real dick about it since he found out that a fourth, non-family member is in her will).

by the way .. sorry about your sister.

Something you should know for Texas: (from here )

Renewing Expired License

NOTE: The expiration date and renewal requirements for individuals 79 years of age or older are different. (ID cards for individuals 60 years of age and older do not expire.)

Driver licenses or ID cards that have been expired for more than two years cannot be renewed. To obtain a driver license or ID card, the individual:

1. Must apply in person as a new applicant at a driver license office, and
  2. Meet all of the requirements for a new ID card or driver license (including taking the knowledge and driving tests).

Individuals who have not provided documents to verify their U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status must do so before renewing. (Some individuals who renewed in person after October 2008 may have already met this requirement.)

and for the future, if you have your old license, you can renew it online (usually).

I know it's probably too late now, but I renewed my Wisconsin Driver's License online from here in China a couple years ago, and then they mailed it to me - was pretty impressed with the whole operation.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I think you can drive and rent a car with a Chinese Driver's License in the US for 30 days - or at least that's what friends have told me. Then again, maybe this is just what they say, and they used a friend's car or something else.

Randy, very sorry to hear about your sister. All the best to you and your family at this time. Take care.

Dan~

by the way .. sorry about your sister.

Something you should know for Texas: (from here )

Renewing Expired License

NOTE: The expiration date and renewal requirements for individuals 79 years of age or older are different. (ID cards for individuals 60 years of age and older do not expire.)

Driver licenses or ID cards that have been expired for more than two years cannot be renewed. To obtain a driver license or ID card, the individual:

1. Must apply in person as a new applicant at a driver license office, and
  2. Meet all of the requirements for a new ID card or driver license (including taking the knowledge and driving tests).

Individuals who have not provided documents to verify their U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status must do so before renewing. (Some individuals who renewed in person after October 2008 may have already met this requirement.)

and for the future, if you have your old license, you can renew it online (usually).

I haven't had a Texas address until now, so it might have been difficult for me to maintain. In fact, it might be best to get the license now using my sister's address, since I may need another trip or two, and then just let it lapse.

My sister's car, computer and dogs are in Austin, since my brother took them there - so I'll be going to Austin on Tuesday on my way to Houston.

My sister posted this on Facebook, if you could help out

Facebook friends (particularly those of you in Austin) my sister who just passed away had two dogs. They are a shepherd mix and a corgi mix. She loved them more than ANYTHING. They were truly a lifeline to her and her dearest friends. I promised her on her deathbed that I would find homes for them. They have to go to a good home. In Austin, where would you recommend I turn? Any ideas?

10689512_10153426664869918_3382207037797

Here's what it says about Moving to Texas, so I think I'll be just fine.

Driver Licenses

An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

NOTE: The individual must apply in person at any driver license office for a Texas driver license within those 90 days to continue driving legally. An unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province must be surrendered to DPS when applying for a Texas driver license.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Well, I'll be leaving for Houston by way of Austin tomorrow, still not knowing if my brother is going to release the car to me. He has even refused to let people look at the dogs, saying that "it's not my responsibility".

If he won't release the car, then I'm stuck finding a way to get to Houston, and then trying to find transportation or car rental using my Chinese driver's license.

All this because my brother is angry that my sister left a share of her estate to a non-family member.

I have a good friend in Austin, and a sister in Atlanta who are desperately trying to help me, but I don't think I'll know what's going to happen until I get there. It's too late to change my plans.

I just had dinner with some friends of my wife in Plano, TX and the guy was real ticked that his gf would not let him rent a car at DFW. I asked if his Chinese license will work here, and he said yes and that he had an international license as well.

I just had dinner with some friends of my wife in Plano, TX and the guy was real ticked that his gf would not let him rent a car at DFW. I asked if his Chinese license will work here, and he said yes and that he had an international license as well.

Cool - I've asked my sister to give you a call to coordinate that last leg of my trip. I'll be on my way in less than 24 hours.

Last I've heard is that my brother will be dropping the car off in Pasadena after all, so I'll need a ride on either Tuesday or Wednesday

I can't get any other thing in writing other than below from the net from a car rental place, but it sounds like even Enterprise will rent you a car with your Chinese license and your international drivers license. It does not sound like you need an English translation, but of course this is a good idea that both are in English.

An acceptable, valid driver's license issued from your country of residence must be presented at the time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued from your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.
Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Cool - I've asked my sister to give you a call to coordinate that last leg of my trip. I'll be on my way in less than 24 hours.

Last I've heard is that my brother will be dropping the car off in Pasadena after all, so I'll need a ride on either Tuesday or Wednesday

So your going to Austin and the car is in Pasadena. I am a bit confused, but if you need a ride anywhere just let me know. I can find a reason to go anywhere on business. Happy to help.

Doug, I think I had read some of our correspondence (between me and my surviving sister) out of order there - the latest plan IS to pick up the car in my brother's driveway in Austin on Wednesday. If that does happen, I won't need a ride at all. PLEASE keep your phone handy on Wednesday, though, just in case. I doubt you'll hear from us, though, until it's all over (sorry, a VERY hectic day for me).

Since my brother took the car, dogs, and computer from my sister's possession and has so far refused to return them, he is technically in possession of stolen property.

We are LITERALLY sending the Marines (well okay a FORMER Marine, who was a VERY good friend from high school) to help me in the hand-off.

Thanks, Doug - you're a great friend

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I can't get any other thing in writing other than below from the net from a car rental place, but it sounds like even Enterprise will rent you a car with your Chinese license and your international drivers license. It does not sound like you need an English translation, but of course this is a good idea that both are in English.

An acceptable, valid driver's license issued from your country of residence must be presented at the time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued from your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.

Oh, I don't have an International Driver's permit, but I do have a certified translation from the university here in Yulin. That's all the International Driver's Permit is, though, so maybe I'll be okay. I'll see if I can't try to rent a car a few days before I leave (I'll need one after I dispose of my sister's car).

It looks like I would have to retake the Texas driver's test in order to get a TDL, so that may be more than I care to bite off this trip.

Thanks again