Randy W

You didn't accept it did your Randy.

Larry

It's all done in Chinese - I don't get much to say about it. But apparently the plan now is to take it back to this dealer.

Randy, I understand there is no other option in the short term. I am am amazed, in admiration to your patience and acceptance. I don't think I could come close.

Larry

It's all done in Chinese - I don't get much to say about it. But apparently the plan now is to take it back to this dealer.

Randy, I understand there is no other option in the short term. I am am amazed, in admiration to your patience and acceptance. I don't think I could come close.

For a four year old car with a lot of ding repair, it still looks pretty darn new. I think I would have gone to the older bodyshop, but I think they'll (the dealer) fix it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one of the hazards of having a metallic color - the bodyshop didn't want to try for exactly that reason.

I was noticing recently that all the cars in Nanning look new, except for maybe the taxis and service vehicles. How do you like your Toyota? Where was it made? In China? How does it compare to one made in the US? The same or better? Danb

The reason they look new is that they are licensed for a maximum of 15 years on the road (well okay also that there weren't a whole lot of cars on the road from back then that would have come near that limit)

Most Toyotas sold in China are made by FAW (First Auto Works) from mostly Japanese parts. It's been as flawless as our Toyotas and Lexus were in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAW_Group

http://www.faw.com/international/toyota.jsp?TM=FAW-Toyota

An interesting article about the state of the Chinese car industry today -

Xinhua Insight: Putting brakes on China's auto industry

Larry

For a four year old car with a lot of ding repair, it still looks pretty darn new. I think I would have gone to the older bodyshop, but I think they'll (the dealer) fix it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one of the hazards of having a metallic color - the bodyshop didn't want to try for exactly that reason.

I wasn’t talking about the car.

I admire your patience by living through the normal Chinese kerfuffle and issues with complete acceptance.

I wasn’t talking about the car.

I admire your patience by living through the normal Chinese kerfuffle and issues with complete acceptance.

The line about "no other option" would seem to have applied to the car.

The reply still pretty much goes - lol. I'm here to learn and observe, not to tell anyone how to run their country, their culture, or their lives. Culturally, Yulin seems more like small town America than anything I've read about being "Chinese". I think the worst aspects of it are the degree to which I'm dependent on the wife - for instance, it took her a month and a half to find a tire pressure gauge - and a lack of variety in the food. I generally eat better than I did in the States, but there was much more variety with in a 5 mile radius of where I lived in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...