Windows 7

I upgraded to the home premium 32 bit version last October. Been working great ever since. Much much better than Vista.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. :blink:

The OEM version is going for around $100 +or- 10 or 15 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me!

Depends on what you consider a deal. Since I don't care about Microsoft support, I went on eBay and found two license keys only for Windows 7 Ultimate. Paid $32 dollars for the two licenses. I found a place to download the installation cd for another $10. So for $42 dollars I have Windows 7 Ultimate for two computers. I have already performed the switch from Wimdows 7 RC, validated the keys and passed the install through Windows Genuine Software test.

Now that IS a deal! :blink: I do not have Windows 7 RC so I cannot do the upgrade. I plan on dumping Vista completely with the 7 HP install for just one computer. My other computer is XP and it works great so I will keep it.

Actually, you are not suppose to be able to upgrade from Windows 7 RC. They did allow you to upgrade from Windows Vista. You can always start from scratch with the same Windows 7 Installation cd.

Interesting. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded to the home premium 32 bit version last October. Been working great ever since. Much much better than Vista.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. :blink:

The OEM version is going for around $100 +or- 10 or 15 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me!

Depends on what you consider a deal. Since I don't care about Microsoft support, I went on eBay and found two license keys only for Windows 7 Ultimate. Paid $32 dollars for the two licenses. I found a place to download the installation cd for another $10. So for $42 dollars I have Windows 7 Ultimate for two computers. I have already performed the switch from Wimdows 7 RC, validated the keys and passed the install through Windows Genuine Software test.

Now that IS a deal! :blink: I do not have Windows 7 RC so I cannot do the upgrade. I plan on dumping Vista completely with the 7 HP install for just one computer. My other computer is XP and it works great so I will keep it.

Actually, you are not suppose to be able to upgrade from Windows 7 RC. They did allow you to upgrade from Windows Vista. You can always start from scratch with the same Windows 7 Installation cd.

Interesting. :D

I did not find any keys only on eBay at the moment. They come and go. I did find a Windows 7 Home Premium version for $69. I always look for deals first. Hate to pay full price for software. The biggest thing you are paying for and need most is a legitimate activation key.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I did not find any keys only on eBay at the moment. They come and go. I did find a Windows 7 Home Premium version for $69. I always look for deals first. Hate to pay full price for software.

I look for the deals first, too. However I am a bit gun shy about ordering things over the internet for fear of "shady" suppliers. I have a tendency to go for a bit higher price if the seller has a good reputation. I just ordered the Windows 7 HP 32 bit OEM from buyer.com and paid through Amazon. Total price was $105.00. I did see prices at $99.00 from others I did not recognize.

Is it possible to buy another license if I do decide I want to put it on another computer?

I did not find any keys only on eBay at the moment. They come and go. I did find a Windows 7 Home Premium version for $69. I always look for deals first. Hate to pay full price for software.

I look for the deals first, too. However I am a bit gun shy about ordering things over the internet for fear of "shady" suppliers. I have a tendency to go for a bit higher price if the seller has a good reputation. I just ordered the Windows 7 HP 32 bit OEM from buyer.com and paid through Amazon. Total price was $105.00. I did see prices at $99.00 from others I did not recognize.

Is it possible to buy another license if I do decide I want to put it on another computer?

Yes, just watch for Windows 7 Home Premium Key only on eBay. Like I said, they come and go. You can also get a feel for the eBay rating of the seller. If it is a first time seller, I generally stay away. If it someone who sells on eBay frequently and has a rating I feel more comfortable.

Your not supposed to with the OEM version.....but I know some people who do it :blink: :D

Yes, just watch for Windows 7 Home Premium Key only on eBay. Like I said, they come and go. You can also get a feel for the eBay rating of the seller. If it is a first time seller, I generally stay away. If it someone who sells on eBay frequently and has a rating I feel more comfortable.

Never done anything with eBay but I will keep my eyes out. Thanks!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it for a few days now and so far everything is good. It's great to have my computer back now. I was surprised to see that 7 kept a copy of my hard drive and put it into a windows.old file.

Yes indeed, MUCH better than vista.

I just built up a system this weekend. I had just wanted to pick up Win7 Pro 32bit OEM at Frys, but ended up impulse buying a CPU and motherboard. Oh and some memory to go with it...

It does seem to be a bit nicer than the RC.

I just built up a system this weekend. I had just wanted to pick up Win7 Pro 32bit OEM at Frys, but ended up impulse buying a CPU and motherboard. Oh and some memory to go with it...

It does seem to be a bit nicer than the RC.

I'm kinda of late on this...but like Robert said calling Microsoft shouldn't be a thought. All windows should give you the option to format your harddrive or simply repair... since most don't create the repair disk, you would either reformat or copy over the exsisiting one.

I used to load tons of systems with windows, mostly NT in the business environment. Nothing much has changed since, plus I do the same for XP ... etc.

Unless you just want to go to Windows 7, your Vista should be fine.. the code doesn't change degrade, you might be having the beginnings of a hard drive issue which can cause you to get BSOD... I have Vista and have used it for over 3 years... I say make sure your data is backed up and you can load what ever you like.

I have had it for a few days now and so far everything is good. It's great to have my computer back now. I was surprised to see that 7 kept a copy of my hard drive and put it into a windows.old file.

Yes indeed, MUCH better than vista.

Charles,I see I was late and didn't catch up on the thread, glad all worked fine. make sure yo have a good backup just in case you have any hard drive issues

Since I build my own computers I always buy the OEM version.

Robert, I used to do this when I was with my Ex. she has an CPA Accounting business and I built everything from the Lan, Servers, Disk Arrays and workstations for her, but I find it is best to buy a machine, because unless you can get really good prices on the parts, you always pay more for the individual parts that buying a machine.

When I was buying a lot of computers and parts in the Norcross area, I went to Ginstar. there is one on Jimmy carter across from the Varsity and I think there is one in Marrietta also. Ginstar... They speak chinese if your wives want to be involved. www.ginstar.com

Still Frys is good and so is MicroCenter. But always look at ginstar to get the best price on computers and parts.

My OS is Windows XP. Recently Windows updated their system which interfered with the RegCure program I sometimes use to clean the registry. It would activate Windows Defender which singled out RegCure.

I got a fix from RegCure for the problem if anyone wants it.

I work with computers alot... but on my own computer, I really don't do much.

I don't get virus' yet and I don't generally have problems with too many things on my system slowing it down. I guess I have basically stop downloading a lot of stuff to my system.

Robert, I used to do this when I was with my Ex. she has an CPA Accounting business and I built everything from the Lan, Servers, Disk Arrays and workstations for her, but I find it is best to buy a machine, because unless you can get really good prices on the parts, you always pay more for the individual parts that buying a machine.

When I was buying a lot of computers and parts in the Norcross area, I went to Ginstar. there is one on Jimmy carter across from the Varsity and I think there is one in Marrietta also. Ginstar... They speak chinese if your wives want to be involved. www.ginstar.com

Still Frys is good and so is MicroCenter. But always look at ginstar to get the best price on computers and parts.

I buy almost everything I use to build computers from zipzzomfly.com. Yes it is cheaper to buy a built unit...but......I like to choose what I put in my system :surprise: . The last one I built..my home computer....cost 6k to build....but man is it fast :P

I buy almost everything I use to build computers from zipzzomfly.com. Yes it is cheaper to buy a built unit...but......I like to choose what I put in my system :D . The last one I built..my home computer....cost 6k to build....but man is it fast :D

zipzoomfly.com