Windows 7

My vista has finally bit the dust. I see there are a couple of the full versions available. One is the GFC-00564 and the other is GFC-00019. I have found that the GFC-00564 is the cheapest by far of the full versions. I do not want the upgrade as my vista is corrupt and I will have trouble upgrading.

Will the GFC-00564 allow me to completely dump vista and format the hard drive to start over with Windows 7? I have already backed up my hard drive.

EDIT: I am looking to buy the home premium version..

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vista has finally bit the dust. I see there are a couple of the full versions available. One is the GFC-00564 and the other is GFC-00019. I have found that the GFC-00564 is the cheapest by far of the full versions. I do not want the upgrade as my vista is corrupt and I will have trouble upgrading.

Will the GFC-00564 allow me to completely dump vista and format the hard drive to start over with Windows 7? I have already backed up my hard drive.

Wish there was something I could recommend for ya C., but my computer savvy is somewhere between a Commodore 64 and a block of cheese.

But I thought I'd say Hi! :P

Yer ole' bud,

Steve

The full version of Windows 7 normally will allow you to have your full choice of upgrade, install a new version on existing partition or format your hard drive and start over. I just upgraded both of my computers to Windows 7 Ultimate. In the past you use to have to buy upgrade to do the 1st option as full would not allow you to upgrade. Either way you are looking for the Full Version.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Wish there was something I could recommend for ya C., but my computer savvy is somewhere between a Commodore 64 and a block of cheese.

But I thought I'd say Hi! B)

Yer ole' bud,

Steve

Hey my ole' bud Steve!! Hope things are goin good fer ya!! :P

Ok I just got the scoop from a computer store. The GFC-00564 is an OEM version and does not include Microsoft support if needed. The GFC-00019 comes with 32 or 64 bit versions and complete Microsoft support. Both versions install the same version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Now I jest gotta decide if paying $100 more is worth having the option to call Microsoft if I need them. :P

The full version of Windows 7 normally will allow you to have your full choice of upgrade, install a new version on existing partition or format your hard drive and start over. I just upgraded both of my computers to Windows 7 Ultimate. In the past you use to have to buy upgrade to do the 1st option as full would not allow you to upgrade. Either way you are looking for the Full Version.

Yep, gotta have the full version. I have read reports of many problems people have been having trying to upgrade Vista to 7. As bad as my Vista is, it is certain that I will have trouble. :P

Yep, gotta have the full version. I have read reports of many problems people have been having trying to upgrade Vista to 7. As bad as my Vista is, it is certain that I will have trouble. :P

Since I build my own computers I always buy the OEM version. How often do you ever have to call Microsoft???? you can find most answers to your questions somewhere on the internet and it does not cost like calling MS.

Since I build my own computers I always buy the OEM version. How often do you ever have to call Microsoft???? you can find most answers to your questions somewhere on the internet and it does not cost like calling MS.

That's a good thought Robert. And yes, I do find most all my answers on the internet. Besides, calling Microsoft (from what I have read) could be a very unpleasant experience. :)

I upgraded to the home premium 32 bit version last October. Been working great ever since. Much much better than Vista.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. :P

The OEM version is going for around $100 +or- 10 or 15 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me!

Robert, do you know if this OEM version can be used to reformat if I want to do it again at a later date or just in case I need to reinstall it again if the computer crashes? It comes with one license.

Robert, do you know if this OEM version can be used to reformat if I want to do it again at a later date or just in case I need to reinstall it again if the computer crashes? It comes with one license.

I am using OEM now and have had to re-install 2 times due to me tinkering with my PC ;) I have not had trouble re activating it. A buddy of mine has done it several times and once had to call MS for activation and he just told that his hard drive crashed and they gave him new activation number

I upgraded to the home premium 32 bit version last October. Been working great ever since. Much much better than Vista.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. ;)

The OEM version is going for around $100 +or- 10 or 15 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me!

Depends on what you consider a deal. Since I don't care about Microsoft support, I went on eBay and found two license keys only for Windows 7 Ultimate. Paid $32 dollars for the two licenses. I found a place to download the installation cd for another $10. So for $42 dollars I have Windows 7 Ultimate for two computers. I have already performed the switch from Wimdows 7 RC, validated the keys and passed the install through Windows Genuine Software test.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. ;)

Depends on what you consider a deal. Since I don't care about Microsoft support, I went on eBay and found two license keys only for Windows 7 Ultimate. Paid $32 dollars for the two licenses. I found a place to download the installation cd for another $10. So for $42 dollars I have Windows 7 Ultimate for two computers. I have already performed the switch from Wimdows 7 RC, validated the keys and passed the install through Windows Genuine Software test.

Now that IS a deal! :blink: I do not have Windows 7 RC so I cannot do the upgrade. I plan on dumping Vista completely with the 7 HP install for just one computer. My other computer is XP and it works great so I will keep it.

That's what I am hoping. Vista started off good for me but later became a nightmare. I am kinda glad Vista bit the dust. :D

Now that IS a deal! :blink: I do not have Windows 7 RC so I cannot do the upgrade. I plan on dumping Vista completely with the 7 HP install for just one computer. My other computer is XP and it works great so I will keep it.

Actually, you are not suppose to be able to upgrade from Windows 7 RC. They did allow you to upgrade from Windows Vista. You can always start from scratch with the same Windows 7 Installation cd.