44 men of honor and growing.

Feathers268

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, Benjamin Franklin was never a president, but he is just about as important in the creation of the union as any president.

Otherwise, I'm tempted to go with Thomas Jefferson. Clay S. Jenkinson did a good chautauqua performance as Jefferson. He also does/has done Teddy, Oppenheimer, and Lewis(of Lewis and Clark). He has a website at http://www.jeffersonhour.org/

I might also go with Teddy. The National Parks are a treasure for the Republic, and we wouldn't have them if it wasn't for him.

Harry "the buck stops here" Truman for having the balls to do the best that he could and take the heat when he screwed up. :shutup:

Richard Nixon, one of the greatest presidents had he not been an alcoholic, paranoid schizophrenic. :angry: I met him, I liked Kissinger much better.

I don't know about Lincoln. The more I read about him the more I believe he didn't respect the constitution and state's rights and fought a bloody war over it. Was it really to save the union and free the slaves? I no longer feel confidant that what I was taught as a kid was absolutely true.

FDR really screwed things up, but because things were so bad people attributed the recovery to him. Recent books say the economy would have recovered had he done nothing.

Ike was probably a better president than history has acknowledged. Among one of his really great efforts was the creation of the Interstate highway system that he pushed for national security.

Reagan helped America regain face after Carter.

I knew Carter and liked him, but he was a lousy president.

Gerald Ford...a place holder president.

Oh...and dittos on Teddy and the national parks. Just imagine if that property was on the MLS!

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

Abraham Lincoln is tops with me. I am an african american (black).

Abraham Lincoln is tops with me. I am an african american (black).

Well, I have to throw this out there now, our family's little claim to fame... :shutup:

My great, great, great, great, great grandfather was the minister who married Abraham Lincoln's Mother & Father.

Personally I vote for Washington on this question though, as someone else said, he was offered the crown of the US & turned it down, who else could or would do that?! And where would we be now if he hadn't...

Edited by Zhen's Tiger (see edit history)

I like Washington for that same reason, and others----those who think that the Founding Fathers were a bunch of: "rich old white slave holders" ---are, historically incorrect. Most signers of the DOI were not slave holders, and in fact, some opposed slavery---setting up one issue that fueled the Civil War., many were not yet 40 years old, (despite the white wigs), and while they may have represented established economic interests, when they stated that the pledged: "Their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor." All were tested to the core during the Revolution, many lost everything.

But I still have to go with Lincoln, for the reason Fred gave, but also for preserving the Union. (this is one reason for his popularity in China, and contemporary with the situations in Tibet and XinJiang).

Yes, his administration did violate the constitution, several times, and it was a judgement call by only one man---Lincoln himself--- and that burden, as well as the burden of the incredible blood bath of fighting has never been visited on any president before --or since.

This truly was a time of America on the door of destiny --- dissolve or survive. Unlike other presidents, Lincoln had very little help from those surrounding him, little popularity, even hatred from many of the population. I can't think of a single person, president or otherwise, who did more for America than Lincoln.

In the underrated dept. I'd like to add LBJ. Out of dusty, dirt-poor depression ridden Texas, representing some of the nation's most devout crackers and racists, wheelin' and dealin' all the way through his long ride up to power in Congress, and then, as President---turning all that totally against the grain of his background---and power base with the 1964 Civil Rights Act and a number of progressive, and inclusive laws. A man who ultimately understood that the position of President was bigger than the man who held it.

What a contrast to the President who followed.

Guest jin979

I will not pick a President who served when I wasn't born yet. Nixon was the first President during my time. I like him because he opened up China.

Tony is very young :cheering:

If I were to limit my choice to Presidents during my life, hands down would be the Great Communicator, Ronald Wilson Reagan. He was the first President I truly eas aware of as a kid. I loved his ability to speak past the :cheering: and strait to the people. Although he had an opposing Congress most of the time, he was still able to get through much of his ajenda. Also his shear respect for the office and his belief in America being that "shining city on the hill" was truly inspiring and again, after the turmoil of the Nixon era and malaize of Carter's administration, Reagan helpped us believe in ourselves again.

The otherthing I loved about him is that he understood that politics stopped at the end of the day. He could fight with the Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neal all day, and sit down and have a drink with him that night as if they were the best of friends.

He also had a special way of speaking that could stir emotions, like his speach at the 40th aniversary of D-day, or hiss address to the nation after the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded in 1986.

One of the most memorable moments for me was in 2004 upon his death and the full cerimony of a State funeral. Something I will never forget.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

I can't honestly say as I do not know enough about all 44 to be able to pick a favorite.

Just because you don't know about all of the presidents, doesn't mean you can't have a favorite, hell, I don't think I could name all of them.

I just did a quick review and I still don't have a favorite. My father's favorite was Reagan so if I had to pick one..........

"....and his belief in America being that "shining city on the hill" was truly inspiring...."

This is a problem I have with RR..... unlike Lincoln, who wrote almost all his own speeches, and to put the good orator currently in office in his rightful place, consider, for instance, the Gettysburg Address.

RR had speech writers, he delivered what they wrote.

But in this case, it was entire drawn from other sources, and he did not attribute those sources. The reference derives from: "the Sermon on the Mount according to Matthew (5:14). In America a more focused (and famous) reference came from a sermon by John Winthrop in the very earliest days of the Massachusetts ay Colony (1630)--- about this: "City upon a hill" which was to be a shining light for the new world..

"....and his belief in America being that "shining city on the hill" was truly inspiring...."

This is a problem I have with RR..... unlike Lincoln, who wrote almost all his own speeches, and to put the good orator currently in office in his rightful place, consider, for instance, the Gettysburg Address.

RR had speech writers, he delivered what they wrote.

But in this case, it was entire drawn from other sources, and he did not attribute those sources. The reference derives from: "the Sermon on the Mount according to Matthew (5:14). In America a more focused (and famous) reference came from a sermon by John Winthrop in the very earliest days of the Massachusetts ay Colony (1630)--- about this: "City upon a hill" which was to be a shining light for the new world..

I can see your point about the fact that the President now has handlers and speech writers and,.....But times now are different. When Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address, mow many heard it? Compared to today where a speech will be delivered live on TV, then talked about, sound bit, laughed at and so on by millions. Besides, as long as the President is being effective in executing the powers of the office, where the actual words spoken come from really does't matter. If he does not like any part of it, He will just rewrite it himself of omit it.

As for RR, he was well aware of the refrence of the shining city, he remembered that from scripture and had always thought of the US. He also has writen and delivered many speeches from before he was Governor of California that are stunning in their own right.

Of course, I could go on about his record as Governor here, but that's a whole different story.

I've been reading the responses and not quite sure what to add. Of course Washington and Lincoln are at the top of the list, but that was way before my time. So looking at 'modern' times, I have to toss it to Ike. Ike's time was one of prosperity, a growing middle class and the creation of the interstate highway system. It was good times and lots of progress for the citizenry. We haven't a similar period since.

Now, that's not to discount Kennedy and the space program, Nixon opening China, Reagan ending the cold war, or Clinton's growth economy. Each of these presidents left a lasting mark on the US that made us better. Each had some issues, too. But in history's rear view mirror, we are better off having had them in the most powerful and important job in the world.

You know the amazing thing, As you look back at the accomplishments during the administrations, then think about the way they were portrayed during their term.