Government?

When I was in China and watched the news - there was no news! It was ALL about the president and premier meeting with various people! That's it! All shaking hands and greetings. Pretty pitiful excuse for news.

You obviously haven't been watching <or reading> the news in China recently.

<_<

I don't read China news now. I rely on Ying to tell me what's up from what she reads. And oddly enough it's quite similar to whatever the flavor of the day is of Chinasmack.com. Are they reporting that on CCTV # whatever now? The bus fire was pretty major, but the other stuff? Is that coming across?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

When I was in China and watched the news - there was no news! It was ALL about the president and premier meeting with various people! That's it! All shaking hands and greetings. Pretty pitiful excuse for news.

<_<

I don't read China news now. I rely on Ying to tell me what's up from what she reads. And oddly enough it's quite similar to whatever the flavor of the day is of Chinasmack.com. Are they reporting that on CCTV # whatever now? The bus fire was pretty major, but the other stuff? Is that coming across?

Just as in the US, there are the large networks out of Beijing, but there are several stations in the local areas. The local stations report stories that are important to the people in the local communities. Of course, we all know that China news is run by the state, and there are some stories that are blocked. Still, the vast majority of news gets through. Many of people don't like that there news is filtered, so they learn methods of getting around the great wall.

A good resource for news out of China is: creaders.net

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Just as in the US, there are the large networks out of Beijing, but there are several stations in the local areas. The local stations report stories that are important to the people in the local communities. Of course, we all know that China news is run by the state, and there are some stories that are blocked. Still, the vast majority of news gets through. Many of people don't like that there news is filtered, so they learn methods of getting around the great wall.

A good resource for news out of China is: creaders.net

Don't forget ATV (Asian TV) out of Hing Kong. Jiaying tries to catch that (news) every day. Wish I spoke Cantonese, but they seem to be much less restricted than the mainland stations.

I look at U.S. news everyday.

Then i look at China news.

The story no same.

I am Chinese woman so i believe china new more.

I feel U.S. news lie and not tell truth.

You believe China news because you want to. It is called loyalty. There is nothing wrong with that. You are living in America now. America and China are like two separate planets. It will take time to get used to us "aliens" and the way we do things. Be patient with yourself. Most of all, be flexible in your thinking.

U.S. news doesn't lie. They report the facts, but putting whatever emphasis on particular facts may tilt the meaning of the story one way or the other. American newspapers and TV are in business to make money. They will tell a story in whatever way they think will get more people to pay attention to them.

Chinese newspaper and TV are owned by government. They tell you what they want you to know. If they don't want you to know it, you will never hear about it.

I been in U.S. almost 3 years now.

Three years is about right for these feelings. You miss your family. You miss your friends. You are comparing your old life to your new one. You have been here just long enough to begin to see the differences, but not long enough to understand and accpet them yet.

I remember old president and i was here to see new president go to work.

Why new president lie?

He say ago he help people and now he take job away.

President hasn't taken any jobs away. He doesn't have the power to do that. He also doesn't have the power to give anyone a job. He and his people may try to influence or create an atmosphere that will make big companies want to hire people, but he can't put anyone to work himself

I see no help just people with no job and sad.

I think when i come to U.S. it be good.

Now i want to go home.

Our economy is not good right now. It is a cycle that must be rode out. It happens. It will happen again and again. China economy is not much better. By the last report I read, over 200 million people in China out of work. That is a much greater percentage of the population unemployed than in America. Life anywhere is what you make of it. If you are unhappy, you will be unhappy anywhere you go. There is always something missing. If you life is happy, then that happiness goes with you wherever you go.

Why U.S. lis to me?

I don't think anyone lie to you. I think you were not completely knowledgeable about America when you come here. It is difficult to learn about another country until you are actually there. Many people can tell you about another country, but no one can tell you everything you need to know.

Hang in there, Zhenghong! Life is a roller coaster ride!

Larry, Thank you, for you are a good man.

Yes i understand I'm still learning and know that U.S. government is busy.

But i still feel that i am being lied to by government.

He say that he will save jobs but all i see is many friends jobs all gone :lol:

:lol:

I look at CCTV4 and CCtv9 everyday at 8 hour night time.

It is world news.

I learn more from them than i do from U.S. news.

They may have same story but not same outcome???

I dunno. When I've been there and watched CCTV there have been a number of current issues presented. Some even seemed to be fairly balanced. I also saw some decent reporting on the Shanghai local channel.

I think the difference is news reporting (China) vs news & opinion (US).

This is what lao po did in China... report the news on TV. She is shocked that the media here are so quick to report on rumors, half-stories, etc... without being certain of the facts first. She considers all the news outlets on TV as nothing more than tabloids. For that matter so do I.

I dunno. When I've been there and watched CCTV there have been a number of current issues presented. Some even seemed to be fairly balanced. I also saw some decent reporting on the Shanghai local channel.

Yes, i agree!

But we have Chinese Tv in our house here in U.S.

so i see both sides.

Sometimes it is hard to believe witch one to understand?

He say that he will save jobs but all i see is many friends jobs all gone :lol:

Many of us...probably most us feel that way too. :P

Guest jin979

He say that he will save jobs but all i see is many friends jobs all gone :P

Many of us...probably most us feel that way too. :(

very true :lol:

we balance our world news CCTV4/9 and the BBC, rarely watch US world news reporting, local news we do.

Batmaniac i think you need to look at CCTV 9 again, programmes like Dialogue etc lots of debating.

Zhenghong, i dont think USA news lies, just their depth of coverage seems very shallow and usually just about a very narrow range. i agree mostly its tabloid level news.

I've found that many college students and/or educated young people(in China) think that CCTV1 News is a joke. My understanding of Chinese is good, and I sometimes watch the CCTV1 News too. Maybe some news stories are ok, but I see many stories that are too fake sounding and overly-glorifying of the government. They often say stuff like "The military training exercise was a great success, Chairman HuJinTao was extremely pleased and he said it was a great testament to China's rising power in the world today! The soldiers worked hard and fought through many obstacles to give a great lasting impression of their courage and honor to fight for our great country." Maybe the news is still true, but they just overamplify anything and claim it as a great success for the country. It's like something too sickeningly sweet, and I usually can't stand it anymore and just switch to cartoons to get the bad taste out of my mouth. There is one channel called Phoenix TV that's based out of Hong Kong or Taiwan which you can get on digital cable that doesn't do this stuff as badly.

I look at U.S. news everyday.

Then i look at China news.

The story no same.

I am Chinese woman so i believe china new more.

I feel U.S. news lie and not tell truth.

You believe China news because you want to. It is called loyalty. There is nothing wrong with that. You are living in America now. America and China are like two separate planets. It will take time to get used to us "aliens" and the way we do things. Be patient with yourself. Most of all, be flexible in your thinking.

U.S. news doesn't lie. They report the facts, but putting whatever emphasis on particular facts may tilt the meaning of the story one way or the other. American newspapers and TV are in business to make money. They will tell a story in whatever way they think will get more people to pay attention to them.

Chinese newspaper and TV are owned by government. They tell you what they want you to know. If they don't want you to know it, you will never hear about it.

I been in U.S. almost 3 years now.

Three years is about right for these feelings. You miss your family. You miss your friends. You are comparing your old life to your new one. You have been here just long enough to begin to see the differences, but not long enough to understand and accpet them yet.

I remember old president and i was here to see new president go to work.

Why new president lie?

He say ago he help people and now he take job away.

President hasn't taken any jobs away. He doesn't have the power to do that. He also doesn't have the power to give anyone a job. He and his people may try to influence or create an atmosphere that will make big companies want to hire people, but he can't put anyone to work himself

I see no help just people with no job and sad.

I think when i come to U.S. it be good.

Now i want to go home.

Our economy is not good right now. It is a cycle that must be rode out. It happens. It will happen again and again. China economy is not much better. By the last report I read, over 200 million people in China out of work. That is a much greater percentage of the population unemployed than in America. Life anywhere is what you make of it. If you are unhappy, you will be unhappy anywhere you go. There is always something missing. If you life is happy, then that happiness goes with you wherever you go.

Why U.S. lis to me?

I don't think anyone lie to you. I think you were not completely knowledgeable about America when you come here. It is difficult to learn about another country until you are actually there. Many people can tell you about another country, but no one can tell you everything you need to know.

Hang in there, Zhenghong! Life is a roller coaster ride!

He say that he will save jobs but all i see is many friends jobs all gone :greenblob:

To keep things in perspective, think of how many jobs would be gone if all those big banks just shut down? How many jobs would be gone if all the auto makers just shut down? How many other jobs would that affect? This mess we are in is not anything the world has ever experienced before. It isn't over yet! The next wave of catastrophes is just around the corner and it is headed this way. All the plans that were put into place by both Bush and Obama was to stem this tide. Some of it has worked, some hasn't. It is all an experiment because it has never been done on this scale before. But...and this is an important point...I believe in the resiliency of the American people..it truly is one of our best qualities...that goes for every race, nationality, religion of every type in this country..."Americans" can and will persevere ...things will get better.

The important thing to remember, is that, American news has only one goal. MAKE MONEY. Stories are picked to apeal to the most people possible so therefore, the coverage stays shallow. Also, the 24 hour news cycle, thanks CNN, means stories are reported before proper research can be done.

As for the President, having voted for the other guy, I could throw everything at his feet, but the truth is that Obama has as much control over jobs as Bush did. The general public does not get educated enough so they tend to believe that the President is more like a king, but it is just not true.

Another thing to look at, the current administration has a forien policy that matches the previous one by about 96%. Seems that conditions dictate policy more than idealistic campain promises.

The news story about the SSN code being cracked is a perfect example of what Don is said here.

Title: Social Security number code cracked?

Topic: The government-issued numbers may not be that secure. Two researchers say they've figured out the code, and identity thieves might not be far behind.

Bold - the scare tatic to get you to read it ...

Zhenghong,

USA is not streets of gold. in many ways life is harder here than in China. Rob says takes many years to accept strange country.

There is much racism from whites in usa to chinese (not from mexicans or natives), little fun on streets and its country in decline in money/power/economy. One day mayybe we will all move to china. it is more simple,cheaper and more fun. less crazy. we married western men so live here now. just need to wait until they decide to move :blink:

moved to steside,hope you not care

Is this the official America bashing forum now??? :unsure:

Just want to get it right... :lol:

Guest jin979

Zhenghong,

USA is not streets of gold. in many ways life is harder here than in China. Rob says takes many years to accept strange country.

There is much racism from whites in usa to chinese (not from mexicans or natives), little fun on streets and its country in decline in money/power/economy. One day mayybe we will all move to china. it is more simple,cheaper and more fun. less crazy. we married western men so live here now. just need to wait until they decide to move :blink:

moved to steside,hope you not care

Is this the official America bashing forum now??? :unsure:

Just want to get it right... :lol:

its about;

This forum is simply for all things about life in the US after the visa. For both the USC and the Chinese spouse, this is the place to relate, learn and share all things American.

hope this helps you :lol: