Potential trouble for visiting China in the near future

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another problem: the hotel where Lu (the 2nd infected person in China) stayed was shut down for quarantine purposes. The hotel lost money and business just because of this single person.

If you plan to travel to China and stay with your wife, I am sure she wouldn¡¯t mind. But her relatives may not be so "receptive", because the U.S has too many cases. Has anyone here been able to book a hotel room? The hotel certainly does not want to shut down just because of one foreigner with swine flu.

I am very concerned and hope this flu can go away soon.

i don't understand why they can't check us while we are still in the US before boarding the plane...

They can and probably will. However it is a long flight and someone can have flu but not yet show the symptoms. So they appear and feel fine before they get on the plane and during the flight start to have the flu symptoms.

i don't understand why they can't check us while we are still in the US before boarding the plane...

They can and probably will. However it is a long flight and someone can have flu but not yet show the symptoms. So they appear and feel fine before they get on the plane and during the flight start to have the flu symptoms.

damn :o :o :o

damn, i have to be in China for my fiancee interview..

Put the mask on once you go through the gate in the usa.

Take it off when the plane takes off.

Wear it as you walk around the cabin (restroom breaks, etc)

Put it on again when the plane is emptying.

Take it off again when you get OUTSIDE of the airport.

Double points for wearing a pink mask (can be had from your favorite maternity nurse suppliers).

I'm not so worried about YOU, as the carriers AROUND YOU.

i am not afraid of catching the flu, i am afraid that i will be held up in a "hotel" for a few days and miss everything i have to do in GUZ....

You should be afraid, as they are CONNECTED. If you have some indications of THE FLU, you will be 'held'.

Get some masks - wear them - protect yerself from the carriers around you..

He said that when an airplane lands in China the health people show up in moon suits to check everyone on the plane. If one person is running a fever everyone goes into quarantine for a week at the governments expense in a 3 star hotel with free food and internet.

They are really good at this - they had 3 years of real time, real world experience with SARS.

It got so bad, there were quick herbal lozenges one could buy - to reduce any body fever. Chinese Herbal Rocks - but - it tasted like @ss.

I still have some left over - they were quite useful.

Guest Pommey

A fever alone cannot diagnose anything, to test for the flu is going to require lab testing, cant see them holding a plane on the ground for hours while they wait for lab results.

Then if say 2 have it what do they do cancel the flight as all the passengers have been exposed ?

Edited by Pommey (see edit history)

A fever alone cannot diagnose anything, to test for the flu is going to require lab testing, cant see them holding a plane on the ground for hours while they wait for lab results.

Then if say 2 have it what do they do cancel the flight as all the passengers have been exposed ?

The decision to quarentine is being made after the flight lands and if someone on the flight has a fever. Yes it doesn't mean they have the flu but if someone oh his flight shoes a fever and/or other flu like symptoms there is a risk he will not make it to GUZ but be quarentined.

Guest Pommey

The decision to quarentine is being made after the flight lands and if someone on the flight has a fever. Yes it doesn't mean they have the flu but if someone oh his flight shoes a fever and/or other flu like symptoms there is a risk he will not make it to GUZ but be quarentined.

my response was to the question of testing before the plane leaves the USA :)

my response was to the question of testing before the plane leaves the USA :)

Ramping up in China now including domestic flights and testing before getting on the plane.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-05...ent_7771930.htm

Interesting I still cannot find any information from CBP or elsewhere what special screening we are using for inbound or outbound flights in the USA. Does anyone know if we are doing anything?

First of all there is an incubation time so testing before any antibodies are made is USELESS

second this whole thing is another media overblown mess, this type of influenza is no more deadly than the regular flu.

There is no pan epidemic

First of all there is an incubation time so testing before any antibodies are made is USELESS

second this whole thing is another media overblown mess, this type of influenza is no more deadly than the regular flu.

There is no pan epidemic

damn... :)