Potential trouble for visiting China in the near future

China has its first suspect case of Swine flu. This case was a Chinese student from St Louis, MO, who went back to China for summer vacation. This suspected case has brought a lot of outrage from China public and some blame game is going on.

Because U.S now has most confirmed cases of swine flu (surpassing Mexico), I have the feeling that any people who are going to visit China from the U.S. may receive extra scrutiny (and potential discrimination). We have to remember SARS created a lot of problems for China back in 2003. So I understand why China must be extra careful. It must be discouraging for Americans and their Chinese spouses to visit China at this time. My wife is planning to visit China this summer but she is worried that she may have to cancel her ticket?

Has anyone here has to cancel his/her ticket to China because of Swine flu?

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

China has its first suspect case of Swine flu. This case was a Chinese student from St Louis, MO, who went back to China for summer vacation. This suspected case has brought a lot of outrage from China public and some blame game is going on.

Because U.S now has most confirmed cases of swine flu (surpassing Mexico), I have the feeling that any people who are going to visit China from the U.S. may receive extra scrutiny (and potential discrimination). We have to remember SARS created a lot of problems for China back in 2003. So I understand why China must be extra careful. It must be discouraging for Americans and their Chinese spouses to visit China at this time. My wife is planning to visit China this summer but she is worried that she may have to cancel her ticket?

I would say this is quite likely. My office circulated a memo last week, that they may begin requiring people to wear masks, and practice more sanitary habits. I wouldn't mind seeing more sanitary habits, and replied to HR attempting to communicate that there is no evidence that masks are effective in preventing you from getting or passing the virus. They were somewhat receptive, I think.

Guest jin979

i have read china is going to put all USA travellers on arrival in a hotel together until they are known not to have flu.

when you apply for a tourist visa to China,i had to fill out an extra form,have i been to mexico in the past 3 weeks.

personal,i think it is blown out of proportion.typical news media hysteria.........but who knows how china will react,i am going to china in 3 weeks....wish me luck.

jimi

I sure they will ramp up the restrictions and testing, etc.

When I was in Beijing last week, with my wife and father, a taxi cab driver refused to turn on the air conditioner because my father and I were from America and he did not want to get the pig flu ..... :D

I headed there in two days... :cheering: Arrive HK, then on to Chengdu. Leaving Chengdu on the 27th and returning via Shanghai....I'll try to get online and let you know what my arrival screening is... :cheering: :)

I'd be interested in hearing your experience. I'm currently in China, scheduled to head back to the US for about 2 weeks around Memorial Day, but I may just scrap it, depending on how much trouble it is going to be to get back here once I leave.

I headed there in two days... :cheering: Arrive HK, then on to Chengdu. Leaving Chengdu on the 27th and returning via Shanghai....I'll try to get online and let you know what my arrival screening is... :cheering: :)

If you have any trouble at all, give me a call and I'll do what I can; could post a message for you here if you ring me (132-28151242) Btw, you've probably already heard the man with the flu is hospitalized here in Chengdu.

There is rumor that the guy (the infected Chinese student returning from the U.S.) may have lied on his Health Declaration Form. If that is the case, he may face either civil and/or criminal charges. I can imagine there are millions of yuans (RMB) of costs associated with this swine flu case.

It appears to me that the U.S. is not doing enough to quarantine those infected people and schools. That is why U.S. now has most cases of Swine Flu (H1N1).

There is rumor that the guy (the infected Chinese student returning from the U.S.) may have lied on his Health Declaration Form. If that is the case, he may face either civil and/or criminal charges. I can imagine there are millions of yuans (RMB) of costs associated with this swine flu case.

It appears to me that the U.S. is not doing enough to quarantine those infected people and schools. That is why U.S. now has most cases of Swine Flu (H1N1).

Are we sure we can quarantine the flu? I think the cow is out of the barn already.

Are we sure we can quarantine the flu? I think the cow is out of the barn already.

Just so. It's likely that there are several cases of H1N1 in China that were never reported to the authorities.

I headed there in two days... :plane: Arrive HK, then on to Chengdu. Leaving Chengdu on the 27th and returning via Shanghai....I'll try to get online and let you know what my arrival screening is... :doctor: B)

I doubt they are screening outbound passengers. Inbound passengers are another matter. I'm flying in to Shanghai on the 15th on my way to Chengdu. I am already avoiding crowd scenes, staying away from coughers and snifflers at work, using my neti pot 2X a day and gargling with warm saline and washing my hands about 10X a day. It would be tragic to spend 10 days quarantined in Shanghai instead of hanging out with my sweetie in Chengdu.

"I think the cow is out of the barn already."

It certainly was for SARS also---Beijing officials know they had cases, far from the point of origin in Guangdong, but decided to keep it quiet----until it was broken by the western press---Time. Then all hell broke lose for the officials involved, but the upshot was that at every location where SARS had migrated to---strict quarantines were put in place---incidentally, it was Hong Kong Public Health officials who championed that extreme, and extremely unpopular measure---in the early days of SARS. Early on, WHO thought this policy was too draconian. (Tainjin and Inner Mongolia were two hotspots that come to mind).

Given the course of SARS, it seems to me it was a much more deadly disease than this Mexican flu, but the quarantines worked. To me, Hong Kong more than any other international public health organization including WHO, NIH were the intellectual heros of the SARS outbreak---obviously, the nurses with direct contact---many of whom died---where the true, on the ground heros.

But I guess we shouldn't be too surprised if HK and now PRC are following the lessons of SARS----as usual, the liberal western press portrays China's treatment of the Mexicans, returned to Mexico at government expense as just short of barbaric, as we liberal Americans apparently haven't learned---yet---the true meaning of a deadly pandemic.

But we are in the same boat---Fei is returning to Guangzhou, and then on to Hunan in June, so she may get caught up in this as well.