Potential trouble for visiting China in the near future

i don't understand why they can't check us while we are still in the US before boarding the plane...

First of all there is an incubation time so testing before any antibodies are made is USELESS

second this whole thing is another media overblown mess, this type of influenza is no more deadly than the regular flu.

There is no pan epidemic

The test used is a virus ampification test, and can show that the virus is present in the nasal tissue PRIOR to Illness ( so I was NOT correct) according to the latest from the CDC he influenza is in 47 states ,4000 confirmed cases

BUT only 3 deaths is is not any worse than the normal # of other flu cases.

the problem is that this a new form and there is limited immunity in the populations from exposure to previous infections.

ALL viruses can mutate and that is the real worry .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding masks, what's the concensus as to the effectiveness? Need a special type? May gf voiced her concern about this

Today.

damn, i have to be in China for my fiancee interview..

Put the mask on once you go through the gate in the usa.

Take it off when the plane takes off.

Wear it as you walk around the cabin (restroom breaks, etc)

Put it on again when the plane is emptying.

Take it off again when you get OUTSIDE of the airport.

Double points for wearing a pink mask (can be had from your favorite maternity nurse suppliers).

I'm not so worried about YOU, as the carriers AROUND YOU.

i am not afraid of catching the flu, i am afraid that i will be held up in a "hotel" for a few days and miss everything i have to do in GUZ....

You should be afraid, as they are CONNECTED. If you have some indications of THE FLU, you will be 'held'.

Get some masks - wear them - protect yerself from the carriers around you..

Guest jin979

i don't understand why they can't check us while we are still in the US before boarding the plane...

First of all there is an incubation time so testing before any antibodies are made is USELESS

second this whole thing is another media overblown mess, this type of influenza is no more deadly than the regular flu.

There is no pan epidemic

Rob says incorrect , nasal swab shows virus in nose. dont test for antibobies.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Regarding masks, what's the concensus as to the effectiveness? Need a special type? May gf voiced her concern about this Today.

There doesn't appear to be much consensus in the medical community that wearing a surgical mask has much if any effect at all:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-fl...eally-work.html

"The evidence that masks work is relatively weak," said Peter Sandman, a New Jersey-based consultant in crisis communication. Still, he was loath to criticize the Mexican government, because mask-wearing also can have psychological benefits.

"It's not dumb to give people things to do, even if those things are only slightly effective, because it will make those who are anxious feel calmer, and those who are too nonchalant take the threat more seriously," he said.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=99809

Sure, if someone is coughing or sneezing in your face, a mask might help. Also, if you know that you're going to be around someone with swine flu, such as a loved one, a mask might be warranted. But otherwise, that's not the most effective strategy for preventing swine flu because you don't catch most respiratory viruses from people coughing in your face.

A far better practice is to avoid touching your face with your hands when you're in public. Wash your hands frequently with antibiotic soap, and use a paper towel, when you open and close the bathroom door.

• 2 weeks later...

I said I'd try to get online and report what I went through as far as procedures when I arrived. We were so busy that we never got time to find an internet cafe....so....hopefully better late than never...so here is what I went through on my arrival.

I arrived in HK on May 14. When we arrived, I expected to have at least my temperature checked or to go through thermal image screening, but that didn't happen.

I got off the plane and went to through the domestic transfers area. Never left the secure area of the airport. Never went through customs.

When I arrived in Chengdu, that is where the screening took place. I guess they are allowing everyone to get to their final destination before screening to keep the ability to trace you down on a local level.

When the plane pulled into the gate, four medical teams workers came on the plane and took everyone's temperature with a thermal gun. Very quick, very efficient. I would guess that it didn't take more than five minutes and they were gone and we were allowed to get off the plane. We did have to complete a Medical Disclosure form that basically asked you were you've been for the past seven days and to give a name, address, and phone number of your contact and where you are staying.

That was it as far a medical screening...

On a side note, I was pulled aside after clearing customs and asked to wait and the man took my passport and walked away. Soon, he came back with what I assumed was a supervisor and they asked me why I had come to China four times in two years. They seemed very serious, but I was way to happy after getting off the plane as we are all aware of the euphoria of being able to walk again after being stuck on a plane for 25 hours and a serious answer just didn't seem appropriate to me, so in my usual smart-ass demeanor, my answer was " cute girls, cheap beer, and way too much free time!". The younger man looked shocked, but the supervisor gave me this puzzled look for about 20 seconds, then busted up laughing, handed me my passport and told that he hoped I enjoyed my visit to Chengdu!

When leaving Chengdu on the 27th...nothing....change planes in Shanghai...nothing...arriving in Chicago...nothing...

Happy to be home...unhappy that I am not still in Chengdu...next trip will be one-way!

While in Chengdu, I don't think I saw more than a dozen people wearing masks. My hotel was very good about providing hand sanitizer in the room everyday and they made a very good point about if I was feeling ill that they had a private doctor on call to take care of any medical needs I may have during my stay. We stayed at the Honey Business Hotel. I highly recommend it. 158 RMB per night, king size bed, nice room with big shower. Excellent service and staff.

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

I said I'd try to get online and report what I went through as far as procedures when I arrived. We were so busy that we never got time to find an internet cafe....so....hopefully better late than never...so here is what I went through on my arrival.

I arrived in HK on May 14. When we arrived, I expected to have at least my temperature checked or to go through thermal image screening, but that didn't happen.

I got off the plane and went to through the domestic transfers area. Never left the secure area of the airport. Never went through customs.

When I arrived in Chengdu, that is where the screening took place. I guess they are allowing everyone to get to their final destination before screening to keep the ability to trace you down on a local level.

When the plane pulled into the gate, four medical teams workers came on the plane and took everyone's temperature with a thermal gun. Very quick, very efficient. I would guess that it didn't take more than five minutes and they were gone and we were allowed to get off the plane. We did have to complete a Medical Disclosure form that basically asked you were you've been for the past seven days and to give a name, address, and phone number of your contact and where you are staying.

On a side note, I was pulled aside after clearing customs and asked to wait and the man took my passport and walked away. Soon, he came back with what I assumed was a supervisor and they asked me why I had come to China four times in two years. They seemed very serious, but I was way to happy after getting off the plane as we are all aware of the euphoria of being able to walk again after being stuck on a plane for 25 hours and a serious answer just didn't seem appropriate to me, so in my usual smart-ass demeanor, my answer was " cute girls, cheap beer, and way too much free time!". The younger man looked shocked, but the supervisor gave me this puzzled look for about 20 seconds, then busted up laughing, handed me my passport and told that he hoped I enjoyed my visit to Chengdu!

When leaving Chengdu on the 27th...nothing....change planes in Shanghai...nothing...arriving in Chicago...nothing...

Happy to be home...unhappy that I am not still in Chengdu...next trip will be one-way!

While in Chengdu, I don't think I saw more than a dozen people wearing masks. My hotel was very good about providing hand sanitizer in the room everyday and they made a very good point about if I was feeling ill that they had a private doctor on call to take care of any medical needs I may have during my stay. We stayed at the Honey Business Hotel. I highly recommend it. 158 RMB per night, king size bed, nice room with big shower. Excellent service and staff.

nice write up!!

So you were gone for almost 2 weeks and the hotel was not afraid of you passing swine flu? That is very good to know. My wife plans to go back to China in July, but her parents are worried about the flu.

So you were gone for almost 2 weeks and the hotel was not afraid of you passing swine flu? That is very good to know. My wife plans to go back to China in July, but her parents are worried about the flu.

No one seemed to have the slightest concern. The streets, buses, stores, restaurants were packed. No one was wearing masks. No one avoided me because I was western...it really was a non-event!

After seeing the news about the increase of cases here in at home, I was reluctant to get on the plane! HAHA

On a side note, I was pulled aside after clearing customs and asked to wait and the man took my passport and walked away. Soon, he came back with what I assumed was a supervisor and they asked me why I had come to China four times in two years.

hmmmmm, my next trip will be in June and this would be my 3rd trip in less then 1 year, and i will be going with a one way ticket, will this be an issue? how was the "supervisor's" English?

Guest shutterbug

I think many parents are concerned. While it is no longer receiving prominent coverage in US media, it is still being reported frequently in Chinese media - for parents with children coming for a visit this can be rather distressing. If you look at CDC's weekly report, the number for Week 17 and 18 reached the same level recorded back in Feb. 2009 (the usual time for flu cases to peak), and has dropped in Week 19 although the number may be revised up. While this strain is new and deserves much attention, and that the timing is very unsual (in a normal year there are few flu cases in May), it is pretty clear by now it is not any more lethal than the "regular" flu.

I don't think I would worry about it. His English was superb. I think it was just a slow day and they were bored. I would bet that the supervisor gave the lowly agent a hard time after I left for wasting his time.

No one looks at your ticket coming in to the country. Just passport and visa. Of course, you will complete an entry form and Medical Disclosure form.

Going over on a one-way ticket? How long will you be staying? It may make sense to purchase a round-trip ticket anyway with an open return date. Make sure you always have the funds immediately available for a hasty exit, even if its just to HK to get time to find an airplane ticket home at a reasonable price. Also...do yourself a big favor and let the Consulate know where you are staying and how you can be contacted.

Regarding masks, what's the concensus as to the effectiveness? Need a special type? May gf voiced her concern about this Today.

There doesn't appear to be much consensus in the medical community that wearing a surgical mask has much if any effect at all:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-fl...eally-work.html

"The evidence that masks work is relatively weak," said Peter Sandman, a New Jersey-based consultant in crisis communication. Still, he was loath to criticize the Mexican government, because mask-wearing also can have psychological benefits.

"It's not dumb to give people things to do, even if those things are only slightly effective, because it will make those who are anxious feel calmer, and those who are too nonchalant take the threat more seriously," he said.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=99809

Sure, if someone is coughing or sneezing in your face, a mask might help. Also, if you know that you're going to be around someone with swine flu, such as a loved one, a mask might be warranted. But otherwise, that's not the most effective strategy for preventing swine flu because you don't catch most respiratory viruses from people coughing in your face.

A far better practice is to avoid touching your face with your hands when you're in public. Wash your hands frequently with antibiotic soap, and use a paper towel, when you open and close the bathroom door.

Jesse - not to beat you up AT ALL - but -

the folks quoted did not live through the SARS epidemic - and as such, I can't take 'their advice' at all.

Masks work, to a degree. Twofold.

1. keep the air particles containing the airborne virus OUT of yer respiratory system and

2. keeps others' effluents from sneezing and spitting OFF of your face.

I lived through the SARS epidemic in Guangzhou. Masks were useful. But it's got to be the 'right' mask - something that can filter the air particulates...

I don't think I would worry about it. His English was superb. I think it was just a slow day and they were bored. I would bet that the supervisor gave the lowly agent a hard time after I left for wasting his time.

No one looks at your ticket coming in to the country. Just passport and visa. Of course, you will complete an entry form and Medical Disclosure form.

Going over on a one-way ticket? How long will you be staying? It may make sense to purchase a round-trip ticket anyway with an open return date. Make sure you always have the funds immediately available for a hasty exit, even if its just to HK to get time to find an airplane ticket home at a reasonable price. Also...do yourself a big favor and let the Consulate know where you are staying and how you can be contacted.

Going over on a one-way ticket? How long will you be staying? June 5-16

make sense to purchase a round-trip ticket anyway with an open return date: orbitz didn't have that option...

Make sure you always have the funds immediately available for a hasty exit: funds already saved

Also...do yourself a big favor and let the Consulate know where you are staying and how you can be contacted. got it! Thanks!