Potential trouble for visiting China in the near future

Ok...I just noticed your timeline and the reason you are going! It makes sense not to have a locked-in return date. I thought you were going for an extended period of time with an unknown return date sometime in the distant future. No need to register with the Consulate for a short trip. Only needed if you are going to live there. Good Luck! Bring her home with the PINK!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I just noticed your timeline and the reason you are going! It makes sense not to have a locked-in return date. I thought you were going for an extended period of time with an unknown return date sometime in the distant future. No need to register with the Consulate for a short trip. Only needed if you are going to live there. Good Luck! Bring her home with the PINK!

Thanks!! :threeques:

So you were gone for almost 2 weeks and the hotel was not afraid of you passing swine flu? That is very good to know. My wife plans to go back to China in July, but her parents are worried about the flu.

I think many parents are concerned. While it is no longer receiving prominent coverage in US media, it is still being reported frequently in Chinese media - for parents with children coming for a visit this can be rather distressing. If you look at CDC's weekly report, the number for Week 17 and 18 reached the same level recorded back in Feb. 2009 (the usual time for flu cases to peak), and has dropped in Week 19 although the number may be revised up. While this strain is new and deserves much attention, and that the timing is very unsual (in a normal year there are few flu cases in May), it is pretty clear by now it is not any more lethal than the "regular" flu.

It is not only reported frequently on Chinese media, it is the Number One headline of almost all media, every and each day. They are treating it more like a biological warfare.

If you did not get swine flu, then you are lucky. If you just happened to be diagnosed of swine flu in China, then your photos will be in every newspaper. Your relatives or loved ones will also be blamed for inviting you. My wife is still thinking if she should cancel her visit.

My take on the situation is this. If you know you are exposed to someone with the flu, then limit your travel and/or exposure to the general public for a week to see if you have it. If you haven't been exposed, then do what you want. There are approx 7,000 cases in the U.S. as of today. There are 300,000,000 people in the U.S. On the entire planet there are less than 14,000 cases and most of them have recovered. Your odds of catching it are 1 in 43,000. If you feel sick, on your way to the drug store for some Tylenol, stop by the store and pick up a lottery ticket!

Yes, China is going above and beyond. They have to. The density of their cities demands it. You sneeze on a street corner waiting for the crossing light and 300 people get sick.

My take on the situation is this. If you know you are exposed to someone with the flu, then limit your travel and/or exposure to the general public for a week to see if you have it. If you haven't been exposed, then do what you want. There are approx 7,000 cases in the U.S. as of today. There are 300,000,000 people in the U.S. On the entire planet there are less than 14,000 cases and most of them have recovered. Your odds of catching it are 1 in 43,000. If you feel sick, on your way to the drug store for some Tylenol, stop by the store and pick up a lottery ticket!

Yes, China is going above and beyond. They have to. The density of their cities demands it. You sneeze on a street corner waiting for the crossing light and 300 people get sick.

I do not disagree with you. So I still encourage my wife to stick with her original plan. Do people on the plane wear masks during the long international flight?

There was one or two...frankly, I heard less coughing and sneezing passengers on these recent flights than I remember from other flights.

Try this for rationale....get your ass to China! you'll be less exposed there than you will be here!

Here is something else to consider. Influenza does not like warm weather. The warmer the weather, the less strength the virus has. I'm not a doctor so I can't explain why this is, but it seems to be true as that is what the WHO, CDC, EHA, EIEIO, are all saying. They say the migration of this influenza will head to the southern hemisphere since they are getting into winter now...

Guest Tony n Terrific

When I left China on May 13 in Shanghai a number of airport employess had surgical masks on. That was 16 days ago.

I just read that China has diagnost a young woman with the Swine Flu.

It may get scary there now if a few more cases are reported.

GUANGZHOU, China, May 29 (UPI) -- A Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention official said Friday his country has confirmed its first mainland case of domestic Swine Flu. But the CDC official insisted the domestic infection case involving a 24-year-old female should not prompt panic among the general public. Zeng said China has made preparations to help prevent and treat swine flu.

When I left on May 27, there were 7 officially reported cases. Seems like now days if you throw up on the doctor, you get TV coverage, round the clock care and roses when you feel better and are ready to leave the hospital. Every patient that recovered and left the hospital was given a press announcement; surrounded by staff doctors and nurses and well wishes. Premier Wen Jiabao even visited the girl in the hospital when she was sick..

• 2 weeks later...

The WHO is on the verge of announcing level 6, if that happens I would expect things to change.

Anyone care to guess what might happen if they announce a level 6 outbreak?

i arrived to China on june 6th and the medical officials just used a thermal gun to scan our forehead, these officials only wore masked to cover there nose and mask, so i think they are starting to relax about the swine flu now.

I guess were going to find out, today the World Heath Organization raised the level to 6 (Pandemic), I would imagine each country to initiate their own level 6 protocols.

The WHO is on the verge of announcing level 6, if that happens I would expect things to change.

Anyone care to guess what might happen if they announce a level 6 outbreak?

i arrived to China on june 6th and the medical officials just used a thermal gun to scan our forehead, these officials only wore masked to cover there nose and mask, so i think they are starting to relax about the swine flu now.