What major to pursue today in America

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took my stepdaughter to an orthodontist this past week for an evaluation of her teeth. The guy is very well thought of here in Las Cruces. His office is an amazing place. After the evaluation I found out why he could afford such an office.

If you have a kid who can get through school for this career they will do very well.

law :angry:

thats where the big bucks are at

Unfortunately this thread is all about college. :P I know plenty of blue collar jobs that pay equal and way above lawyers and most type doctors...and you're not tied down to a practice. :happydance:

tsap seui

Guest Rob & Jin

law :)

Unfortunately this thread is all about college. :) I know plenty of blue collar jobs that pay equal and way above lawyers and most type doctors...and you're not tied down to a practice. :D

tsap seui

best bucks $ job is plumber, huge bucks just to walk through your door, let alone do any actual work in Denver $90 + a hour to watch their butt crack talking over their jeans, as to how complicated this is going to be :blink:

Told my boys to be contractors, no responsibility, big bucks, if anything goes wrong its the house problem, they can sort it (just will cost more) no different to lawyers or doctors, haha

ps... if you call them at the weekend x it by 3

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

Yemmie,

May I also suggest that you determine what they (fiancee & son) are specifically interested in and where their God given talents are? After all, it does little good to enter a field that pays big bucks, but the actual requirements for the career field are boring to them. This IMHO, will cause them to "burn-out" very quickly and will quickly become dissatisfied with the choices that they make, just to maximize the return of their educational investment.

I agree 100%.

I teach at a university in a department which has a very high graduate success rate and graduates tend to make high salaries. With students who are in it 'for the money' and are not really interested in the field, I see the type of "burn-out" Dave mentions all the time, (way before they enter the job market). However, students that are in the major because they are interested and passionate about it usually excel.

Another thing that happens with new college students is: They are exposed to disciplines that they had never considered before. Sometimes, the student who changes their major a couple times, pursuing their passion, will be the most successful in terms of satisfaction with their profession (and the resulting happiness).

Remember: Money does not buy happiness. I think we've all seen bitter, miserable wealthy people.

law :redblob:

Unfortunately this thread is all about college. :happy2: I know plenty of blue collar jobs that pay equal and way above lawyers and most type doctors...and you're not tied down to a practice. :spell:

tsap seui

best bucks $ job is plumber, huge bucks just to walk through your door, let alone do any actual work in Denver $90 + a hour to watch their butt crack talking over their jeans, as to how complicated this is going to be <_<

Told my boys to be contractors, no responsibility, big bucks, if anything goes wrong its the house problem, they can sort it (just will cost more) no different to lawyers or doctors, haha

ps... if you call them at the weekend x it by 3

Rob, I am in no way trying to bellitle higher education..but...carpet cleaners routinely make well over $100 to $300 an hour. Plumbers do okay but they have stuck themselves with this "by the hour" type advertising. would you give a carpet cleaner $200 an hour to clean your carpets? Me either., but it happens all the time. :ph34r:

I walked out of a drug and alcohol rehab in 1985 and two months later started my own carpet and upholstery cleaning company. Built it into a 3 truck operation that soley worked on referals from our customer base as well as the base calling us each year. NO advertising dollars spent like you see many carpet cleaners filling your mailbox and newspapers with.

My total overhead was 25% -30% yearly. I ran it out of my house instead of having the money eating "face" of a store front. Each truck brought in between $175,000-$200,000 a year.

My ex-wife and I lived just outside Potomac, Maryland with the doctors, lawyers, and movie stars. :) Large attached 4 car garage kept the work trucks out of sight. The doctor and lawyer neighbors couldn't understand where some uneducated good ol' boy got his money...cleaning carpets???? :surrender: And when we would ask one of them to watch our cat for 3 months while we traveled to NZ and OZ they would shake their heads that hubby couldn't leave his practice for that long.

The typical reply I would laugh and give when told, "my husband is a lawyer and he doesn't make that kind of money, what with all his overhead", was..."Yes ma'am, that's why I dropped out of law school when I saw the freedom and money that could be had from sucking crud out of people's carpets." No ton of years spending money on schools, either.

By the way, I bought my cleaning agents and equipment from an outfit in Denver, then was sponsored by them to go teach classes all over the US, NZ, and OZ. I wound up being in and out of Denver and Vegas more times than my uneducated butt can count. Vegas wound up being a good point to leave for Australia from and then Denver was a good point to come home and teach a class on the way back to Maryland.

Most all of the big money people I ever met personally were blue collars with a vision and a service company of some sort. :cheering:

Not that there is anything wrong with all those years of school. :rolleyes:

tsap seui

Richard hit the nail squarily on the head...it's all about your passion for what you do.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Another thing I see at the university. Students who've discovered their passion only to be strongly discouraged from pursuing it because the jobs may be 'better' in another discipline.

If you are thinking of 'helping' someone in that way, remember this Chinese saying:

The person who says "it cannot be done" should not interrupt the person doing it. :blink:

Et all,

Thanks Richard. You hit my point exactly. I read over the post and replies today. I have been under the weather due to drugs from a bad knee.

It still surprises me that is is still a debatable issue and opinions are still being formulated.

Yemmi (the OP) stated that he sought opinions and options. A refreshing feeling to listen to Yemmi, stated that he has a very firm grasp on what has and is evolving. He has already stated that his wife/son are deciding their options, however, his better-half has her/their own game plan and what they "consider" important (nothing derogatory intended here) to themselves. Yemmi, as a side point, you can never stop the Chinese "flood of water or logic." All you can hope for is to divert and/or channel it slightly. I know that this overstated, however, I know that you understand very well what I'm saying.

Yemmi, I hope that it works well for you and your new found family. I fully agree with your decision and your new course. The only thing that I can add is to assist, mentor and advise. I only add my humble output without directing you. IMHO, you have done all that you can do. Now it comes down to the immediate family (minus CFL).

I'm of differing opinions for what has been stated from others and what they consider important. Their opinions are not wrong but may not be right for every case. I walked away from being a physician and a scientist in my future. I personally feel "rich" in my wife's and my mind. We have money and materials gains that few others are able to have. To us, materials gains are not what is important. It is the passion for whatever one decides to do. That is what is important, IMHO! Every day my personal career poses new and unforeseen problems, that I extremely enjoy using scientific knowledge and logic to solve. That is what prevents my career from being stagnant and me becoming "another brick in the wall!"

I have three degrees and I agree with others that have already added input. Very seldom have I found a career/job that exactly matches what I was taught. Many times, I see my degrees as "sheepskins on a wall," that gained me my new job, that occasionally, often (depending on what and where I was) I relied upon the knowledge that I received there for my new career and questions that arose from day to day to help me in a particular tasking.

A formal degree IMHO is very commendable and noteworthy. However are passed over due to lack of experience, etc, etc. IMHO, in today's economics there are three primary considerations:

1) Is the degree applicable and immediately applicable to the needs of the employer TODAY! Not in the future. TODAY! Please remeber that the US/China (and wherever else) econmic situation is in such dynamic continual state of flux that no ONE is safe, today!

2) Does the degree afford self-enhancement/improvement? If is does not; the field may be stagnant! BTW many fields are constantly evolving! If you are slow to change you and your loved ones may be left behind, hold the proverbial "burnt end of the stick!" This equates to monetary gains/savings for the family! BTW if the better-half or yourself for the lack of a better word is a lazy slug, then you indeed have problems. I left school and was proud and happy that I finished! I soon discovered, what a black friend of mine told me when I was I was in the Army; You slow! You blow! This means education is always continual. I may be preaching to the choir! However you would be surprised how many people forget this rule.

3) What do you and/or your loves ones have a passion for? Money is indeed important to every one of us and our families! However, how long can one be a mercenary and obtaining a high paying/societal demanded "hot" job for just money and no passion? My own wife had this ideal and akin to Don Quioxte tilted many a windmill! Now; she has learned patience and seek careers what she has a passion for.

Yemmi, I admire your candor and your intelligence. All you can do is advise your wife and step-child on recommended courses. I'm sure that you have already advised them of "prioritization" and passion for a job already and are closely advising them already Now it is in their hands. I personally wish you the best of fortunes. BTW, is it doesn't work out; start over! I have been here, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it! Just be able to learn from your/families mistakes and improve upon them.

A PLUMBER? Rob....? Never mind I won't touch this. Let me get this right...; a Chinese woman and/or son working on plumbing under Union guidelines and apprenticeship, coupled with language difficulties?......

Dave

Et all,

Thanks Richard. You hit my point exactly. I read over the post and replies today. I have been under the weather due to drugs from a bad knee.

It still surprises me that is is still a debatable issue and opinions are still being formulated.

Yemmi (the OP) stated that he sought opinions and options. A refreshing feeling to listen to Yemmi, stated that he has a very firm grasp on what has and is evolving. He has already stated that his wife/son are deciding their options, however, his better-half has her/their own game plan and what they "consider" important (nothing derogatory intended here) to themselves. Yemmi, as a side point, you can never stop the Chinese "flood of water or logic." All you can hope for is to divert and/or channel it slightly. I know that this overstated, however, I know that you understand very well what I'm saying.

Yemmi, I hope that it works well for you and your new found family. I fully agree with your decision and your new course. The only thing that I can add is to assist, mentor and advise. I only add my humble output without directing you. IMHO, you have done all that you can do. Now it comes down to the immediate family (minus CFL).

I'm of differing opinions for what has been stated from others and what they consider important. Their opinions are not wrong but may not be right for every case. I walked away from being a physician and a scientist in my future. I personally feel "rich" in my wife's and my mind. We have money and materials gains that few others are able to have. To us, materials gains are not what is important. It is the passion for whatever one decides to do. That is what is important, IMHO! Every day my personal career poses new and unforeseen problems, that I extremely enjoy using scientific knowledge and logic to solve. That is what prevents my career from being stagnant and me becoming "another brick in the wall!"

I have three degrees and I agree with others that have already added input. Very seldom have I found a career/job that exactly matches what I was taught. Many times, I see my degrees as "sheepskins on a wall," that gained me my new job, that occasionally, often (depending on what and where I was) I relied upon the knowledge that I received there for my new career and questions that arose from day to day to help me in a particular tasking.

A formal degree IMHO is very commendable and noteworthy. However are passed over due to lack of experience, etc, etc. IMHO, in today's economics there are three primary considerations:

1) Is the degree applicable and immediately applicable to the needs of the employer TODAY! Not in the future. TODAY! Please remeber that the US/China (and wherever else) econmic situation is in such dynamic continual state of flux that no ONE is safe, today!

2) Does the degree afford self-enhancement/improvement? If is does not; the field may be stagnant! BTW many fields are constantly evolving! If you are slow to change you and your loved ones may be left behind, hold the proverbial "burnt end of the stick!" This equates to monetary gains/savings for the family! BTW if the better-half or yourself for the lack of a better word is a lazy slug, then you indeed have problems. I left school and was proud and happy that I finished! I soon discovered, what a black friend of mine told me when I was I was in the Army; You slow! You blow! This means education is always continual. I may be preaching to the choir! However you would be surprised how many people forget this rule.

3) What do you and/or your loves ones have a passion for? Money is indeed important to every one of us and our families! However, how long can one be a mercenary and obtaining a high paying/societal demanded "hot" job for just money and no passion? My own wife had this ideal and akin to Don Quioxte tilted many a windmill! Now; she has learned patience and seek careers what she has a passion for.

Yemmi, I admire your candor and your intelligence. All you can do is advise your wife and step-child on recommended courses. I'm sure that you have already advised them of "prioritization" and passion for a job already and are closely advising them already Now it is in their hands. I personally wish you the best of fortunes. BTW, is it doesn't work out; start over! I have been here, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it! Just be able to learn from your/families mistakes and improve upon them.

A PLUMBER? Rob....? Never mind I won't touch this. Let me get this right...; a Chinese woman and/or son working on plumbing under Union guidelines and apprenticeship, coupled with language difficulties?......

Dave

I'm not so sure Dave. Have you hired a plumber lately?

There are many fields that offer great opportunities. A profession shouldn't be graded just on how much it pays. IMHO it is more important to enjoy what you do. I would encourage young people to pursue their interests and be passionate about what they do.

Don't know if any of this helps. Just some idle thoughts.

I find that if you do what you love then you make a success of your self and do well financially. A college degree may not be the way to go. BUT if they have no clue what they want then send them to school.

We don't have enough GOOD craftsmen who can do a good job and it works. Also if your going to get into a trade BUY THE PROPER TOOLS. I called a plumber once who had NOTHING in his truck and used my tools. I din't pay him since he solved nothing. Just be the absolute BEST at what ever trade and get the training and certs needed to function. They can become city inspectors for small towns on the side or for full time.

Court recording may go out due to technology.

Programming is good even though so much is being offloaded ot India. Again we have lazy American students not getting the technology degrees so we have to outsorce and now it is cheaper.

I always push folks to some engineering field since we lack so many engineers in the USA. My son wanted to quit plenty of times. He got frustrated with Mechanical Eng and transferred to Material Science Eng, which is where his interest had been all along. He always said he wanted to get down in the earth to the raw materials where it all starts.

Engineering is an area where you do get good offers the higher you rank in your class. My son went to Virginia Tech in Blaksburg. Seems like it is the Texas A&M of that area and folks scratch each others backs on jobs. My son then went to Langly AFB to work for and get his Masters in Material Science at an agency that prallels NASA. He quit shortly after starting because Bell Helicopter here in TX made him a decent offer where he could live cheap with me for awhile. He regrets that he turned down a high paying offer with a $10grand signup bonus at Micron up in the DC area, not so far from Tidewater. B) Material Science gets into a lot of the things they use in electronics. EE degrees are good as well.

I have no idea what the government (NAVY) hires in your area. Probably one must have served in military to get those jobs.

My daughter taught high school science in Virginia Beech for a number of years. She was an Aggriculture student and it paid off teaching biology for years now.

Anything scientific or engineering is my first push if someone doesn't know what they want to do but has the smarts and desire to go to school.