The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

Cuz', If you are shopping for the best retirement roost, in my opinion, the two best places to live are in Queensland, Australia and the areas around Wellington, NZ....you would probably be happier in slightly warmer Auckland, which is at the top of the north island.

It's interesting to hear about what you've found. I always like alternative thinkin', and new ideas.

In our case, when I go over to live in Chinatucky, I plan on taking the lil' rabbit down to Australia and New Zealand to meet my friends and play. It would be almost like she had gone to america...only better. B)

Meanwhile, within 2 or 3 years of life in China, we will apply...oh Gawd, I'm gonna be sick...again for another visa to Uncle Samville and see how the lil' bird is treated, this time.

If she fails, it will be Chinatucky for us, and bi-yearly trips to Australia and New Zealand for 30 day stays. :banned: :ph34r:

tsap seui

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tsap, why am I not worried even a little bit for you? For some strange reason I get the feeling wherever you end up as long as the wee rabbit and you are together with the small lad[who I fear for with you leading the way :eyebrow:] all will be GREAT!

tsap, why am I not worried even a little bit for you? For some strange reason I get the feeling wherever you end up as long as the wee rabbit and you are together with the small lad[who I fear for with you leading the way :blink:] all will be GREAT!

George, you nailed it buddy. Together with my family, and everything will be happiness and much laugher..everyday. The lil' rabbit laughed the other day and said we should name our home "Happiness Home".

We've come a long way during this and the past debacle has faded into a misty memory as we look at, and plan for our future.

I try not to get into a trend of thinking about how great the dream will be to actually wake up to each other....I'll wake up early, give Brer Rabbit a kiss and tell her what a beautiful day it is...and...she will smile....pull the covers over her head, tell me "You crazy"...and go back to sleep. :D

We are like a pair of giggly teenagers and we love to laugh. I can't wait to meet her friends (when she can let the secret out) and go to eat, drink, sing, and in general RAISE PURE HELL with them. :o I'll be the white guy crooning Elvis songs and shaking my legs and hips like the young Elvis.

I must agree with you about Bubba Jr. He is usually very serious and we laugh that he may soon think we are younger kids than he is. The poor kid already tells his mom that my english is "no gooda", wait until he is around me everyday and starts saying ah for I, and I teach him to greet americans with a smile and a "Howdy Yaw, How yaw doin'?"

Take care Cuzin' Jawge, you fought your own battle and ya won, my floopy ol' kangaroo skin hat is off to ya.

tsap seui

We're gonna have a ball. I jest can't wait.

Maybe you open a club, music and food :)

:huh: It would have to be a comedy club Jin., with lots of southern rock, serving hillbilly style hot dogs with spicy chili, and lots of funny stand-up "commode-ians" on stage. :D

I'm with Michael, it is GREAT to see you posting again. :)

I do plan on having a hilarious time in China with my lil' family. Heck, the lil' rabbit's wacky sense of humor well surpases mine and her friends sound like they are a hoot also. :lol:

It will be PARTY TIME!!! :lol: :yay: :yay:

tsap seui

Cuz', If you are shopping for the best retirement roost, in my opinion, the two best places to live are in Queensland, Australia and the areas around Wellington, NZ....

and bi-yearly trips to Australia and New Zealand for 30 day stays. :wub: :happydance:

tsap seui

Well Tsapper I've had people extol the virtues of Aussieland and NZ to me but as you point out there is one small problem...no wait there are several...But firstly they don't want us... :wub: oh they want our tourist $$$ for a 30 day visa and then heave-ho you're outa' here matey... :wub: And then there's $$$$$$$$...them thar' places are very pricey...for that I can live in Southland with Dennis and Jim...Let me put it this way...In the Philippines I can afford a beautiful home on my own land and hire a fulltime maid and gardener/driver... :) And I ain't rich... :wub:

Cuzin', it is expensive to buy a home in both OZ and NZ, especially as compared to the countrys you've been researching. I agree.

For me an the lil' rabbit, it's either China or Uncle Samville, and, after she sees Australasia and my friends way of life, we could end up on a retirement immigration to Australia or NZ. Too far off and too many miles down the road for my feeble brain at this time, to sort out. :happydance:

I do enjoy your posts about what you are finding out about other countries., but I know that wacky wabbit ain't gonna be happy in a country where we neither one understand the language, even with a maid AND a butler and two ladies in waiting. :wub:

Maybe one day we'll all laugh about this over a couple of "lemonaides". The lil' rabbit and I have figured how to take lemons and make some fantastic lemonaide. :wub:

Good luck with yore search. :wub:

tsap seui

Cuzin', it is expensive to buy a home in both OZ and NZ, especially as compared to the countrys you've been researching. I agree.

For me an the lil' rabbit, it's either China or Uncle Samville, and, after she sees Australasia and my friends way of life, we could end up on a retirement immigration to Australia or NZ. Too far off and too many miles down the road for my feeble brain at this time, to sort out. :yay:

I do enjoy your posts about what you are finding out about other countries., but I know that wacky wabbit ain't gonna be happy in a country where we neither one understand the language, even with a maid AND a butler and two ladies in waiting. :lol:

Maybe one day we'll all laugh about this over a couple of "lemonaides". The lil' rabbit and I have figured how to take lemons and make some fantastic lemonaide. ;)

Good luck with yore search. :)

tsap seui

I'm reliably informed that 99% of Filippinos speak English...And its actually AMERICAN English because of our long presence there so you don't have to throw in blokes and lifts and cheers and spell everything with an extra "u" like 'colours' and 'favourite' BLIMEY... :huh:

As for Malaysia I am looking at Penang Island where the plurality of residents are Chinese... :V:

Just like you I am NOT flying solo on this thingie... :gathering: :rolleyes:

Guest Rob & Jin

Lately I've been doing more studying on "other" options for retirement than China... :huh: We both would prefer that Lu Li becomes a USC rather than face the annual trek back to the US to try to keep her PR intact... :) And it does not appear that China will be offering any really viable options to persons like ourselves for remaining within its borders without major hassles and uncertainties... :gathering: So while we would always keep a residence in China and travel there extensively, other southeast Asian countries are very welcoming to expat retirees and their MONEY... :lol: and many offer retirement visa plans that allow staying there and buying "freehold" property an easy process... :V:

I first started out looking closely at Thailand but discovered there were simply too many negatives. I then moved on to Malaysia and it is still up there for consideration but since joining the excellent britishexpats forum below we have now added the Philippines to the list and it is currently in the lead. The other website goes about everywhere possible in southeast Asia with the BIG THREE of Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines leading the pack but adding lesser known destinations like Bali and Laos...Anywho it is a very big world out there and there are many options for people looking to spend their retirements in a warm place where they can afford a lifestyle that would be well out of their reach by staying home... :yay:

http://www.retire-asia.com/index.shtml

http://britishexpats.com/

Your retirement in southeast Asia... ;)

http://i33.tinypic.com/10dea8i.jpg

or in America... :rolleyes:

http://i35.tinypic.com/14wwu0w.jpg

have you looked at Singapore ?

Lately I've been doing more studying on "other" options for retirement than China... :) We both would prefer that Lu Li becomes a USC rather than face the annual trek back to the US to try to keep her PR intact... :( And it does not appear that China will be offering any really viable options to persons like ourselves for remaining within its borders without major hassles and uncertainties... :gathering: So while we would always keep a residence in China and travel there extensively, other southeast Asian countries are very welcoming to expat retirees and their MONEY... :V: and many offer retirement visa plans that allow staying there and buying "freehold" property an easy process... ;)

I first started out looking closely at Thailand but discovered there were simply too many negatives. I then moved on to Malaysia and it is still up there for consideration but since joining the excellent britishexpats forum below we have now added the Philippines to the list and it is currently in the lead. The other website goes about everywhere possible in southeast Asia with the BIG THREE of Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines leading the pack but adding lesser known destinations like Bali and Laos...Anywho it is a very big world out there and there are many options for people looking to spend their retirements in a warm place where they can afford a lifestyle that would be well out of their reach by staying home... :huh:

Your retirement in southeast Asia... :D

or in America... :yay:

Yup...And Singapore sounds fine in many respects except for two... :rolleyes: It is VERY expensive...$2,000/mo. to RENT an apartment...and there is NO visa scheme to allow long-term/retirement living there... :lol:

Guest Rob & Jin

Lately I've been doing more studying on "other" options for retirement than China... :) We both would prefer that Lu Li becomes a USC rather than face the annual trek back to the US to try to keep her PR intact... :( And it does not appear that China will be offering any really viable options to persons like ourselves for remaining within its borders without major hassles and uncertainties... :gathering: So while we would always keep a residence in China and travel there extensively, other southeast Asian countries are very welcoming to expat retirees and their MONEY... :V: and many offer retirement visa plans that allow staying there and buying "freehold" property an easy process... ;)

I first started out looking closely at Thailand but discovered there were simply too many negatives. I then moved on to Malaysia and it is still up there for consideration but since joining the excellent britishexpats forum below we have now added the Philippines to the list and it is currently in the lead. The other website goes about everywhere possible in southeast Asia with the BIG THREE of Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines leading the pack but adding lesser known destinations like Bali and Laos...Anywho it is a very big world out there and there are many options for people looking to spend their retirements in a warm place where they can afford a lifestyle that would be well out of their reach by staying home... :huh:

or in America... :yay:

Yup...And Singapore sounds fine in many respects except for two... :rolleyes: It is VERY expensive...$2,000/mo. to RENT an apartment...and there is NO visa scheme to allow long-term/retirement living there... :lol:

no visa program for USA citizens, yes ?

Brits have settled there for years and chinese can a visa easy

Lately I've been doing more studying on "other" options for retirement than China... ;) We both would prefer that Lu Li becomes a USC rather than face the annual trek back to the US to try to keep her PR intact... :D And it does not appear that China will be offering any really viable options to persons like ourselves for remaining within its borders without major hassles and uncertainties... :rolleyes: So while we would always keep a residence in China and travel there extensively, other southeast Asian countries are very welcoming to expat retirees and their MONEY... :) and many offer retirement visa plans that allow staying there and buying "freehold" property an easy process... :(

I first started out looking closely at Thailand but discovered there were simply too many negatives. I then moved on to Malaysia and it is still up there for consideration but since joining the excellent britishexpats forum below we have now added the Philippines to the list and it is currently in the lead. The other website goes about everywhere possible in southeast Asia with the BIG THREE of Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines leading the pack but adding lesser known destinations like Bali and Laos...Anywho it is a very big world out there and there are many options for people looking to spend their retirements in a warm place where they can afford a lifestyle that would be well out of their reach by staying home... :V:

or in America... :lol:

Yup...And Singapore sounds fine in many respects except for two... :yay: It is VERY expensive...$2,000/mo. to RENT an apartment...and there is NO visa scheme to allow long-term/retirement living there... :huh:

no visa program for USA citizens, yes ?

Brits have settled there for years and chinese can a visa easy

Check the British Expats site I referenced...They have a whole sub-forum in the Far East forum for Singapore... :gathering:

Cuz', If you are shopping for the best retirement roost, in my opinion, the two best places to live are in Queensland, Australia and the areas around Wellington, NZ....

and bi-yearly trips to Australia and New Zealand for 30 day stays. :lol: :blink:

tsap seui

Well Tsapper I've had people extol the virtues of Aussieland and NZ to me but as you point out there is one small problem...no wait there are several...But firstly they don't want us...

Hey Roger, we'd love to have you and the Tsapper over. Only if you bring Mickey along too. We need the Don too, just for the pissin' in the corner.

Tsapper's Music

Crickey, thinking about it, we'd also need Carl to bail us out of trouble.

and bi-yearly trips to Australia and New Zealand for 30 day stays. :o :P

tsap seui

Well Tsapper I've had people extol the virtues of Aussieland and NZ to me but as you point out there is one small problem...no wait there are several...But firstly they don't want us...

Hey Roger, we'd love to have you and the Tsapper over. Only if you bring Mickey along too. We need the Don too, just for the pissin' in the corner.

Tsapper's Music

Crickey, thinking about it, we'd also need Carl to bail us out of trouble.

Aussie, I'd love for my wife and I to meet you and your wife one day. In my 6 trips to Oz (with 3 trips across the pond to NZ) I found myself totally captivated by your country and the friendly fun loving people.

What I wouldn't give for a home on Mountainview Road in Maleny, with a dramatic view of those Glasshouse Mountains.

Realistically, it's gonna be awhile, hopefully, Anzac Day in 2010 before I'll bring the lil' rabbit down for a look see. I marched in the 2005, Toowoomba Anzac Day parade with my mates from that area and it did my spirit wonderful.

It would be an honor to shake yer hand, hoist a few (something or others), and laugh at life with our wives.

As you well know, you live in true paradise. One of my friends says....."Queensland....beautiful one day, perfect the next."

Good to see you post, mate. :D

tsap seui