Chinese/English Language Problems

However, she has one annoying habit. She will state something in very clear English and I understand her perfectly the first time. Then she will then proceed to tell me the same thing 3 or 4 times more. I will tell her that I understood her the first time.

Bobbie does the same thing... over and over and over and over again! :rolleyes:

(Then she'll say, "What do you think?", give me three seconds to make my complete statement, and launch into another repetition... Oy...)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, she has one annoying habit. She will state something in very clear English and I understand her perfectly the first time. Then she will then proceed to tell me the same thing 3 or 4 times more. I will tell her that I understood her the first time.

Bobbie does the same thing... over and over and over and over again! :greenblob:

(Then she'll say, "What do you think?", give me three seconds to make my complete statement, and launch into another repetition... Oy...)

CGeek and Bobbie,

How rude! You came to San Diego, where I live and didn't even say hello! :yay: :D :greenblob:

The reason I say this, is that obviously you have been within my home!

Geee! I never have had to make my responses in the same fashion! NOT

Bobbie does the same thing... over and over and over and over again! :roller:

CGeek and Bobbie,

How rude! You came to San Diego, where I live and didn't even say hello! B) ;) ;)

The reason I say this, is that obviously you have been within my home!

Geee! I never have had to make my responses in the same fashion! NOT

Funny very funny.............

When we stayed in Chengdu and E'meishan she always picked out the hotel room?

She would make the staff show her every room style available and then make her choice, then look at me and say OK??

Like I had any input in the matter!! :boxer:

• 2 weeks later...

CFL forum,

I would really appreciate some advice on a specific point and question that I have.

Yin and myself have known each other going on 4 years plus. We have been married for three years. Communications has never been a problem between us, (albeit at times trying LOL), with the exception of some of her English wording that I have related in past posts.

Yin has only a minimum (about 4 months) of English language tutoring (way back when in China from a Japanese tutor). Her spoken language and the rate that she learns at are phenomenal. I could only wish that my Chinese language skills, could match her abilities.

However, she has one annoying habit. She will state something in very clear English and I understand her perfectly the first time. Then she will then proceed to tell me the same thing 3 or 4 times more. I will tell her that I understood her the first time. I asked her about this annoying habit. She related to me that she is afraid that I didn¡¯t understand her. I have seen it also in font of our friends.

She is attempting to overcome this habit, with somewhat limited success. Do some of the other Chinese ladies of CFL members have this same problem? I thought perhaps it was a confidence problem or something in that realm. Other members may have already had this same small annoying problem and had success in eliminating it.

I just wanted to get some ideas that other members might have. My thanks in advance.

Dave

Hey Dave, My lao po (Jianling) has been doing this to me since day one when we met. At first I thought something was wrong with her memory and that she had forgotten she had already told me whatever it was. Then it started to bug me a little, so I called her on it and asked why she always tells me "I Must do this, or I Must do that". She replied that something was wrong with the translator and it was not using the correct word for "MUST". I bought this explanation for a while until she started saying the same thing in english. It's always "Husband you must" eat! You must rest! You must, etc.,etc..

I have been told well over a hundred times, Husband you must put on the clothes to go outside. I in turn think to myself, does she really think I'm so stupid that I would go outside without putting on clothes?

Actually she is telling me to layer up because it's cold out there.

I finally figured out the best thing for me to do when she makes these little suggestions is to just say, xie xie wife, thank you. She replies with "You're welcome" (bu keqi). After that all is good and we move on with our conversation.

Chuck...

I'm not quite sure if what I heard from my lady was any sign of things to come, but she on a few occasions has said to me "Dear, you have to listen to your wife." I don't know if this meant listen as in pay attention to what she says, or obey as in do what I tell you?! :exclaim: :o hmmm..

There was a time when my wife told me "You didn't listen to your wife", being the survivalist type I immediately responded that I aways listened to my wife because she is the most important person in my life. :P

She followed it up with "why didn't you do what I said?" To that I thought for a minute and busted out laughing and then told her I aways listen to my wife but didn't do what she told me. :huh: She got a good laugh out of that one too. :P

Perhaps "I always listen to my wife, but I'm a rebel!" :D

Guest Rob & Jin

I'm not quite sure if what I heard from my lady was any sign of things to come, but she on a few occasions has said to me "Dear, you have to listen to your wife." I don't know if this meant listen as in pay attention to what she says, or obey as in do what I tell you?! B) :o hmmm..

:baby: :baby: B) :ph34r: :rolleyes: :) ;) you got it, welcome to the training <_<

Many years ago I did the same even in my own language. Then I was told only old people (as old as Jiang Ze Ming or Deng Xiao Ping :( ) did such things repeating the same thing over and over again B) .

I quit the habit.

"Dear, you have to listen to your wife." I don't know if this meant listen as in pay attention to what she says, or obey as in do what I tell you?! :( B) hmmm..
She is trying to be cute, sha jiao.

In south China, we think if a man has money he'd purchase a concubine or gamble. When he wasted all his money, he is like a dead mouse. So we think if you listen to your wife you'll have a happy family and a productive life.

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific
"Dear, you have to listen to your wife." I don't know if this meant listen as in pay attention to what she says, or obey as in do what I tell you?! B) :D hmmm..
She is trying to be cute, sha jiao.

In south China, we think if a man has money he'd purchase a concubine or gamble. When he wasted all his money, he is like a dead mouse. So we think if you listen to your wife you'll have a happy family and a productive life.

What does or what is? sha jiao :(