Where was/is your favorite place in China?

The Yangshou thread got me to thinking. What places in China that I visited made the biggest impression on me? And, out of all the places I visited, what or where do I yearn to see again?

Although, I am not the world nor China traveler that many of you are. And, I have only visited China three times. Still, there was one place that really stuck in my psyche - Yangshou.

I have only been there once. It was a January. It didn't have the throngs of people that other Chinese cities had. The ambiance was one of old China. Yes, old China. Meaning you could sense that you could still see what others saw hundreds, maybe thousands even, years before... It had the feel of just...

gosh, I don't know...

I just have this draw to return...it's a feeling that I cannot put into words...sigh.. :)

Yangshou was also the most romantic place I have ever been. It will also remain a bitter/sweet memory too, as it was where my former NN woman and I 'honeymooned'...

Just as when I was a young sailor who knew when leaving HK for the last time that someday I would return, Yangshou is now one of those places. And, being that Leiqin is a NN woman, I hope to someday return to this place with her.

What is your most memorable place in China that you yearn to return to?

Dennis,

You and I have lived parallel lives. I visited Hong Kong, too, and I also always knew I would return to China. And... YangShuo is probably my favorite single memory of my trips to China (as far as cities and the like). I do love Nanning, I just wish it weren't do damned HOT!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have traveled to Guilin and Yangshou twice in my visits to China. The best meals I have eaten during my travels have been in Guilin.

I visited both cities once in May and found the many western backpackers and rock climbers in Yangshou as others have written and again in January to find the town nearly empty of many tourists as the weather was quite cold.

Although I do agree that Yangshou is designed to cater to the tourist I had the opportunity to travel to a small farming village about 20 miles east of Yangshou. I fell in love with the area on this trip. It was like stepping back in time and it reminded me of the photo books I saw as a child of what China was like. I felt I had stepped into one of those photos. A bit surreal to be there and see it all. The homes, rice fields, gardens, mountains and the people were all an amazing sight.

After reading this thread, I am adding Lijiang to my list of places to visit within China soon. Thanks to the OP for this thread.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

I have traveled to Guilin and Yangshou twice in my visits to China. The best meals I have eaten during my travels have been in Guilin.

I visited both cities once in May and found the many western backpackers and rock climbers in Yangshou as others have written and again in January to find the town nearly empty of many tourists as the weather was quite cold.

Although I do agree that Yangshou is designed to cater to the tourist I had the opportunity to travel to a small farming village about 20 miles east of Yangshou. I fell in love with the area on this trip. It was like stepping back in time and it reminded me of the photo books I saw as a child of what China was like. I felt I had stepped into one of those photos. A bit surreal to be there and see it all. The homes, rice fields, gardens, mountains and the people were all an amazing sight.

After reading this thread, I am adding Lijiang to my list of places to visit within China soon. Thanks to the OP for this thread.

Clayton

If your travelling to Yunnan, Da Li is worth a day or 2, its on the way to Li Jiang as well

http://i22.tinypic.com/2choxmg.jpg

Many great places and trips!! :whistling:

Like Dave and Wendy I really like Shenzhen! Modern city with great public transportation I can get around in, just like a US city in many ways, and a wonderful ocean area. My SO will miss it when I move her into a "cow town" as my city friends call Sycamore!! :wacko:

I liked our second trip to Chengdu, Le shan and emei shan and up the mountain!! We had such a great time and the food was very good. My first time with Chinese spaghetti, wow! :)

My third trip I wrote about to Beijing was also great. I love history and the whole time there was wonderful!! We would like to take the kids back there and spend a few more days seeing the sights at a slower pace. ;) :blink:

Guest lilac6451

My favorite places are in the north of China, Beijing, Harbin and Daqing. My wife is from Daqing and it is a very nice new city with a lot of great food and shopping. Harbin has more choices of great food with a touch of Russian influence of history and great shopping. Come here for the best Hotpot and Grilling. Beijing is great for the History and has many things to do and see. THE NORTH RULES!!!!!!!

My favorite places are in the north of China, Beijing, Harbin and Daqing. My wife is from Daqing and it is a very nice new city with a lot of great food and shopping. Harbin has more choices of great food with a touch of Russian influence of history and great shopping. Come here for the best Hotpot and Grilling. Beijing is great for the History and has many things to do and see. THE NORTH RULES!!!!!!!

Did you see the ice sculptures in Harbin?

Guest lilac6451

I have not been in Harbin in the middle of winter but it is on my list of things I want to do. I hope to see them next time I go to China. Have you been in Harbin?

I have not been in Harbin in the middle of winter but it is on my list of things I want to do. I hope to see them next time I go to China. Have you been in Harbin?

My wife lived in Harbin for a year and we will definitely visit there sometime BUT...NEVER in winter... :lol: which means August through June right???

I have several favorites... I tend to prefer large cities, so I love Shanghai and Hong Kong... But sometimes, I like to relax. So, i also loved Tiger Leaping Gorge. I did the entire hike in about a day and a half. As soon as I was finished, I would have been happy to turn around and do it again. It was so beautiful... I also love DuJianYan, about 30 miles west of Chengdu. It's not VERY interesting, but it's pretty. My wife and I rode our bicycles from east Chengdu (near the Tower park, close to ErHuan Lu, 2nd Ring Road). We spent about 2 days there and rode back.... Ugh! I miss China!

Guest lilac6451

My wife lived in Harbin for a year and we will definitely visit there sometime BUT...NEVER in winter... :greenblob: which means August through June right???

Yes, this is the best time but it will be a little hot then. October is the best month because it is very comfortable.