A Real Find!!!

After much searching and several disappointments, I am happy to report the Li and I stumbled on a decent Chinese food market, right here in Huntsville this afternoon. We were able to find many of our favorite items there, things that we often ate during our years in China. Even was able to find my favorite chili sauce "Lao Gan Ma", which is produced in Guangxi Province I think. Literally translated, it means "Old Dry Mother". :o And take it from my own personal experience, if you ask for this stuff and use the wrong tones, you wind up saying something pretty vulgar. ;)

Needless to say, Li is ecstatic over finding this place and it made me homesick for China in a weird sort of way. For those of you who live in large cities, perhaps this does not seem such a big deal. But for us, it was a God-send. Now we know where to stock up on pickled vegetables, strange sorts of dofu, Lao Gan Ma, and other items. The even had chicken feet. ;) Not one of my favorites by the way.

I know that during my years in China I often craved certain basic western foods, good cheese for example. I could empathize with Li in her desire for some of the staples of China. It was a real blessing for us. :D B)

Old dry mother? :unsure: :blink: :ph34r: are u sure it's not old dry horse?

I have funny anecdote about asian food stores. My mother asked what I wanted for my birthday last month - I told her a big wok. I told which store to go to to get a real good one - it's an Asian supermarket. anyway, today she shows up with this wok - it's enourmous. maybe three feet across. she thought that it's what I wanted. I don't think it can fit on my stove - maybe we'll mount it above the stove as some kind of decoration :P

Old dry mother?  :unsure:  :blink:  :ph34r: are u sure it's not old dry horse?

I have funny anecdote about asian food stores. My mother asked what I wanted for my birthday last month - I told her a big wok. I told which store to go to to get a real good one - it's an Asian supermarket. anyway, today she shows up with this wok - it's enourmous. maybe three feet across. she thought that it's what I wanted. I don't think it can fit on my stove - maybe we'll mount it above the stove as some kind of decoration :P

Boy oh boy, I'll bet Gizmo started sweating bullets when he saw that huge wok! :D :lol: :lol: :o :P

Guest enight

'Old Dry Mother' !! there is one in my freger right now :lol:

I like it's taste very much also, but also worried on it's quality as if you pay attention, you will find out this one and many other products you bought from Chinese markets here would have no valid date on it! :lol:

so I eat it and pray for it is still as fresh as they are selling in China :blink:

'Old Dry Mother' !! there is one in my freger right now :P

I like it's taste very much also, but also worried on it's quality as if you pay attention, you will find out this one and many other products you bought from Chinese markets here would have no valid date on it!  :lol:

so I eat it and pray for it is still as fresh as they are selling in China  :redblob:

Here Enight, put some Lao Gan Ma on these yummy wings! :lol: :greenblob: :redblob: :redblob: :angel: :angel:

That was funny about the giant wok. I have seen those in the restaurant kitchens. Mick, I have got to get in touch with you about that Chinese food store. We went to a giant one in Atlanta that did not seem to lack authenticity though Ping still complained that they did not have the special Dalian style noodles like she is jones-ing for.

'Old Dry Mother' !! there is one in my freger right now :P

I like it's taste very much also, but also worried on it's quality as if you pay attention, you will find out this one and many other products you bought from Chinese markets here would have no valid date on it!  :huh:

so I eat it and pray for it is still as fresh as they are selling in China  :blink:

I have the same kind of worry as yours about some food I saw in not only that Chinese store, but some other stores. Sometimes it's hard to find expiration dates on the wrapping bags of the foods. :o :unsure:

Luckily, that "Lao Gan Ma" has the expiration date on it and according to the date, it's surely safe to eat now.:lol:

Li

If you did, "old dry mother" and "frangrant grandma", which one u like better? :P

Sarah :wacko:

I like 'Sarah' the best! :P

Hey! :P I'm not an old dry mother or a frangrant

grandma! :wacko: :lol: :lol: :o

Sarah :P

I wonder which would taste better on Gizmo, Old Dry Mother or Fragrant Grandma? :P :angel: :P :P