OT - Health Update

So, as I reported in a previous thread, I went into the hospital yesterday morning for a schedule angiogram and probable angioplasty. It turned out to be quite an ordeal and, as most things, a good news/bad news situation.

I guess I first sensed I was in for a trying day when a technician came into the prep room and began said day by shaving my pubis and scrotum. :o :o :o

Needless to say, this was not pleasurable by any means. ;)

Things rapidly went down hill from there. I was delayed for four hours from getting into the cath room due to an emergency. Then when I finally got in, the process was quite painful. This was unusual because in the past this procedure has been relatively pain free. The pain was in large part due to the problem they found once they got the catheter into my old by pass grafts. I had four grafts. Three are in good shape but one of them is nearly closed. The problems started when the doc put the catheter into that graft. The width of the catheter further reduced the blood flow and gave me terrible chest pain. This went on for ten minutes or so but it seemed like an eternity. Things were further complicated by the fact that, due to an allergy to the idodine based dye they use in this procedure, they kept having to inject me with benadryl and steroids to keep my throat from swelling shut. All in all, it was a pretty harrowing experience.

So, on to the good news/bad news. The bad news is that this one graft is terribly blocked (this was no surprise as I have had to have angioplasty on this graft twice before). Problem is that the docs were not able to get it open with the standard baloon treatments as the locations of the blocks were not accessible. So basically, they were not able to correct the problem through anngioplasty. I feared they would recommend a second by-pass surgery but they decided agains that. :) According to the doc, the risks associated with a second by-pass would outweigh any possible gains at this point. So he adjusted my meds around, placed me on an additional medication and hopes this will help alleviate the problem, or at least keep it from getting any worse. Problem is, the new medication costs 139 bucks for just thirty pills. :o ;) As I currently have no medical insurance, this is a big hit. When added to the other meds, I am spending nearly $400 US per month on meds. ;)

The good news is that the angiogram shows no heart damage at all. This was a surprise as my EKG had showed signs of possible damage to a small part of my heart due to long-standing cardiac problems. But my heart appears to be undamaged and generally strong. So I am please about that. Further, it appears that on of the previously blocked arteries is now growing its own natural by-passes and this is beginning to feed the area of my heart where the now blocked artery normally nourishes the heart. This is a near miraculous development. Go figure! Any way, I am pleased by that.

I will just pray for the best outcome and try to eat right and watch the stress. I already meditate on a nearly daily basis so that will help I think.

Li stayed with me all day, except when I was in the cath lab of course. She was such a tremendous help and support. So much easier to go through this with a loving wife at your side. :rolleyes: :wub:

She held up very well through it all, except that she was somewhat alarmed at the number of times female nurses came into to deal with my groin area (the heart catheter is inserted through a small incision made in the femoral artery where it enters the groin). I think she was somewhat taken aback by this process but handled it well. :D

So all in all it was a mixed day. Like I said: good news/bad news. But overall things are ok I think. I guess the doc does not think I am in any immediate danger. I ascertain this from the fact that he said he didn't need to schedule any follow-up for two months. I will keep you posted if anything new arises. Again, thanks for all the kind words of support and for your prayers.

Mick,

The procedure doesn't sound too fun but you are doing okay. The lesson is to avoid fatty food and eat more veggies and fruits. I hope you will be able to get some medical insurance. Without medical insurance in the US (unless you have no money at all), you can lose all your assets if you have an illness. Some of my parents' friends didn't get medical insurance, they lost their houses when they got sick. Some even went back to China for treatment.

The biggest problem living in US is expensive health care. If you lose your job, then you lose your medical insurance.

:rolleyes:

Li, make him cut out all those tastey American fatty foods!

It is much harder to acchieve that in the U.S.,but I will still try to cook healthier food for him.

Yesterday he really suffered a lot from that procedure. It was also quite depressing that they couldn't fix the problem. Now we hope the adjustment of meds will help and the growth of new pass will grow stronger. I keep praying.

This morning around 10:30 about half hour after he took morning meds, he had a sudden sharp pain in his left chest about one inch above his heart. It lasted for 20 minutes. Then around 11:45 his face,neck and upper body turned flush. It may caused by meds. So right now he is taking a nap.

Mick enjoys hanging out with all of you on this board very very much. I feel happy to see his happiness. Thank all of you for your kind words, good suggestions, and moral support. I will try my best to take good care of him, your buddie! :rolleyes:

hi Mick, take good care of yourself, have more light and nutrition chicken or fish soup, you will get well quickly :)

I agree with your diet suggestion. Every time I am sick, I want soup, especially chicken soup. In China, after surgery, black fish(is this right name? :) ) soup is considered as good for recovery. But Mick doesn't like fish. Sometimes he gets allergic of fish.

Thank you, Enight.

Li

Mick and Li,

Last night Yirong and I were talking about my health and she pointed out that happy people are less likely to have serious problems. I think we are all on our way to living long lives.

Good Chinese food should help with the fatty diet.

As for health insurance, I have a good plan which costs me nothing thanks to my prior employer and I added Yirong to my policy but it costs a bit over $200 a month for her and she seems in perfect health. She just got home from seeing my Dr. for a check up and her first ever PAP test. If this turns out ok, I will probably sign her up for a catastropic policy that will just cover hospitalization. I found this web site https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Welcome.ds which you may want to look at and see if you find something that fits you.

Hope all goes well with you.

Gerald

Guest enight
I agree with your diet suggestion. Every time I am sick, I want soup, especially chicken soup. In China, after surgery, black fish(is this right name? :) ) soup is considered as good for recovery. But Mick doesn't like fish. Sometimes he gets allergic of fish.

Thank you, Enight.

Li

you are welcome Li,

yes, it called 'Chinese black fish', read an article last year on Fox news, said this fish has been found in the lakes in the States also becuase someone has dumped it into the lakes as he doesn't want it as pet fish any more, and the 'Chinese black fish' starts to hunt the other local fish in the lakes...

I saw the river turtles in the lake also 'jia yu', but nowhere sells it, it's considered one of the most nutritional food to Chinese, but it's maybe illegal to catch them. :)

Enight, in China, I know there are various kinds of food good for recovery. But here I really have no idea what good for Americans and where I can get. Especially now I can't drive, which adds more inconvience.

It would seem that while I was taking a nap, Li took to the board under my name. :) :o :D

Seriously, thanks to all for your kind suggestions. I am feeling pretty well acutally, considering all I went through yesterday. Li is taking great care of me and I will continue to try to eat with caution. Problem is, most of the things I like are off limits. Seven years ago, after my surgery, the doctor gave me the following advice regarding my choice of foods:

"It is simple really, just remember, if it tastes good, spit it out". :) ;)

(Added note: I would expect now that Li has made several posts under my name, Owen and Eric will start crying foul again and insist that my post count be reduced. All I can say is that I was asleep and she forgot her password.) :P

BTW: Thanks Charlotte for the nice phone call. Li really enjoyed talking with you again. Sorry I was napping.

Mick and Li,

Glade you came out of that proceedure OK, but report the chest pain to your doctor. If it is being caused by the meds, they may be too strong for you and need an adjustment.

As far as eating well, if you don't like fish, try Cod or Shark if you can get it were you are. They are both white fish and very healthy, but don't have the fish taste. Stay away from Chicken, especially with skin on it. That is worse than Hamburg. If you can get Rabbit, Deer, Boffolo ( sorry about the spelling) but that is the rarest meat you can find with the hightest protoien.

Also try to get some NONI and take it twice a day. The Hawaiians have used this for many moons to help fight heart and other internal diseases. Try> Botanic Choice.com for their site, if you have trouble finding it e-mail me and I will check again.

Good luck for a speedy recrovery.