Thank you CFL

Hi CFLers,

We got our K-1 visa and just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes on this site. I wanted to contribute some details of our experience in the hopes that it may help others.

1) It seems that the timelines are shorter than those commonly quoted on CFL. This was the case, at least, for us. For example, after we sent in our P3 docs, we received a response within a month, and our interview date was only 1 month after that! This actually put us in quite a bind to get all the proper documents in time.

2) Take the advice on this site and get to Guangzhou at least one day early, even if you take care of everything (medical check, etc.) in another city. You will talk to people, such as Mr. Xie, and they will review the documents you will need. We thought we had everything we could (aside from one document that we couldn't get because we got our interview date too soon!) , but there were recommendations and things that we flat out missed that had us running down to an internet bar and printing out at 11pm at night.

3) There is an apartment location service that we used, which we found on this site. But these guys (Mr. Xie and Xiao Wu) really know about the visa process and were extremely valuable not only for their knowledge for what we needed to provide, but also consoling during an extremely emotional process. Thank you again Mr. Xie!

Here is his number: (86) 13729868644

4) My fiance and I are convinced that the fact that I live and work in the same city in China as her was the biggest factor. We didn't have time to have a document translated to English, our email history was not complete, we didn't have a lot of pictures, we didn't have a video, etc. According to my fiance, the VO was surprised and possibly impressed that I was working in China. Even though not on the list of required documents, I brought the original "Alien Employment License of the People's Republic of China" document. Each foreign employee in China should have access to theirs. The VO ignored a lot of documents, but not that one.

5) They asked my fiance if she was a member of the communist party... Strange. Never saw that one on the sample interview questions page. She said no by the way.

6) I was able to talk with and even give a document to my fiance while she was in the interview room. This room, according to some posts on this site, is supposed to be restricted to beneficiaries, which "should not be influenced" according to the U.S. Consulate's official documentation, by their significant others. Although there are glass walls where loved ones are watching from the other side of, there is one hallway that leads to the bathrooms, which are not in the restricted area. The fiances will walk through this area, where loved ones can directly talk with them.

I handed a document to my fiance while she was actually in the waiting room to be interviewed. The guards didn't seem to mind.

7) You can notarize documents right next to the room where the interviews are taking place. The American Services room provides free notarization in about 15 minutes. Just make sure thats all you need to do. They don't translate documents, they don't provide much guidance, but they do notarize. The night before, I realized (ok, Mr. Xie realized) I forgot to notarize my I-134. After not sleeping all night because of so much worry, I got the document notarized about 30 minutes before my fiance was up for her interview. The VO never looked at it after all.

I hope this is helpful to those going through the process. Thanks so much CFL.

- Xiaobu

6) I was able to talk with and even give a document to my fiance while she was in the interview room. This room, according to some posts on this site, is supposed to be restricted to beneficiaries, which "should not be influenced" according to the U.S. Consulate's official documentation, by their significant others. Although there are glass walls where loved ones are watching from the other side of, there is one hallway that leads to the bathrooms, which are not in the restricted area. The fiances will walk through this area, where loved ones can directly talk with them.

I handed a document to my fiance while she was actually in the waiting room to be interviewed. The guards didn't seem to mind.

- Xiaobu

Yes - the American citizens are allowed into the consulate area at any time - simply show your passport to the guards on the fourth floow and they will allow you access to the fifth (consulate) floor. Like he said, the visa applicant area and the American citizen area have the restroom area in common. There are apparently no restrictions places in this area. In fact, I think some have reported having access to window # 30, which I believe is in the visa area, and from my experience, the visa aplicants are allowed into the American citizens area side of the restroom.

I reccomend to everyone that they go upstairs and scope out the area as soon as they can after their SO is admitted.

Oh, and Congratulations !

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Congratulations!!!!!

:sosad: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks for the post too....

5) They asked my fiance if she was a member of the communist party... Strange. Never saw that one on the sample interview questions page. She said no by the way.

Congrats!

If she has a good job and is not working for a private company, they may ask whether she is a CPC.

It is my pleasure to do everything for you. Wish you and your fiance happy every day. :lol:

Congrats!

If she has a good job and is not working for a private company, they may ask whether she is a CPC.

Hi CFLers,

We got our K-1 visa and just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes on this site. I wanted to contribute some details of our experience in the hopes that it may help others.

1) It seems that the timelines are shorter than those commonly quoted on CFL. This was the case, at least, for us. For example, after we sent in our P3 docs, we received a response within a month, and our interview date was only 1 month after that! This actually put us in quite a bind to get all the proper documents in time.

2) Take the advice on this site and get to Guangzhou at least one day early, even if you take care of everything (medical check, etc.) in another city. You will talk to people, such as Mr. Xie, and they will review the documents you will need. We thought we had everything we could (aside from one document that we couldn't get because we got our interview date too soon!) , but there were recommendations and things that we flat out missed that had us running down to an internet bar and printing out at 11pm at night.

3) There is an apartment location service that we used, which we found on this site. But these guys (Mr. Xie and Xiao Wu) really know about the visa process and were extremely valuable not only for their knowledge for what we needed to provide, but also consoling during an extremely emotional process. Thank you again Mr. Xie!

Here is his number: (86) 13729868644

4) My fiance and I are convinced that the fact that I live and work in the same city in China as her was the biggest factor. We didn't have time to have a document translated to English, our email history was not complete, we didn't have a lot of pictures, we didn't have a video, etc. According to my fiance, the VO was surprised and possibly impressed that I was working in China. Even though not on the list of required documents, I brought the original "Alien Employment License of the People's Republic of China" document. Each foreign employee in China should have access to theirs. The VO ignored a lot of documents, but not that one.

7) You can notarize documents right next to the room where the interviews are taking place. The American Services room provides free notarization in about 15 minutes. Just make sure thats all you need to do. They don't translate documents, they don't provide much guidance, but they do notarize. The night before, I realized (ok, Mr. Xie realized) I forgot to notarize my I-134. After not sleeping all night because of so much worry, I got the document notarized about 30 minutes before my fiance was up for her interview. The VO never looked at it after all.

I hope this is helpful to those going through the process. Thanks so much CFL.

- Xiaobu

Congratulations and best of luck to you!! Thanks for the great info too!!