Sweating Bullets

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can say congrat too!!!

But as Yanlan and I did everything by the book, pre, during, and post interview. Dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's,,,,,I wonder~? :greenblob:

Much congratulations to you and my wishes for a happy life to you both. I have one question. Does your fiancee speak good english?

Jie does not speak English very well, the interview was conducted in both.

Our only communication was by telephone since she does

not like computers. Text message was also one of our tools for cummunication. I have

learned a great deal of Chinese in pinyin also, so we speak both in conversation.

Much congratulations to you and my wishes for a happy life to you both. I have one question. Does your fiancee speak good english?

Jie does not speak English very well, the interview was conducted in both.

Our only communication was by telephone since she does

not like computers. Text message was also one of our tools for cummunication. I have

learned a great deal of Chinese in pinyin also, so we speak both in conversation.

Yes there are many effective ways of communicating. Glad to hear that this has worked out for you. Good luck my friend:)

What not to do in the 12 o¡¯clock hour of the interview. This is a truly rare case, and I would not attempt to duplicate our steps. We were truly blessed, and I am still in disbelief as are others in Guangzhou who experience the process daily.

yuan fen

9-Oct-2006

Arrival at 22:00 Guangzhou Airport

P4 not a mark on the documents

Medical not complete

No single Certificate

More pictures needed

10-Oct-2006

Mission: fill out P4 documents, and obtain Single Certificate

Not too impossible right?

Okay now for the kick in the below the waist. After Mr. and Mrs. Yang examine our documents they state that since Jie¡¯s Police Record, Birth Cert, Single Cert, and divorce docs were not in the neat little white infamous books we should opt to reschedule the interview. At this time I was frustrated, and could not believe this was happening.

I was not about to give up at halftime.

Anyway, around 14:00 Hrs we walk to the consulate to obtain notarization of the English document for Jie¡¯s Single Cert. Yes, it was a statement in English, no Chinese document was used for our case.

I was admitted into the Consulate, and Jie would have to wait for my return. In the Consulate I take a number and wait to be called. After being called, I explain that I needed a document to be notarized with Jie¡¯s signature, and by this time it was 14:55. The nice woman at the window directed me to the cashier, which closed at 15:00, and said after I paid to bring Jie back in with me. First trip to the 4th floor where Jie was waiting we attempt to enter. None doing, I could return but Jie would have to wait because the guard was not called to allow Jie to enter. So, back to the 5th floor, obtain another number, and wait to explain again. A young man at the window said to return to the 4th floor, he would call the guard, and we should return. This time admitted, we return the 5th floor, take a number, and wait. Another woman at another window called upon us; sorry we can not do this was the response. Then an American Visa Officer approached the window, and I proceeded to explain our situation. He explained that this may or may not be sufficient for evidence, but he could notarize the document with no guaranty. I also posed the question of Jie¡¯s other documents. He replied that this is not normal, and that the documents may not be accepted at the interview. So we had two choices, a fork in the road, let it ride or postpone.

He did explain that rescheduling could push things out a few months for another interview, risk of blue slip at that time, and even postpone things even longer. If we proceeded with the interview we may receive a blue slip, but we would know exactly what the Consulate required.

I am not about to lay down was in my mind.

Push forward was our choice. I explained to Jie that we may have to return at a later date, and we truly expected a blue slip.

We then returned to the room to complete assembly of the P4 docs. 5 hours later we finished with the help of Mr. and Mrs. Yang. In the morning it was off to the medical.

11-Oct-2006

8:00 Hrs. and off to the Medical College where we were informed an expedited service was impossible. So we go to the clinic next to the White Swan Hotel, and things are a go at 800 RMB for expedite. Before returning to the clinic we make copies of all docs being submitted to the Consulate in the medical packet, and drop off a CD for development of pictures. Returning at 16:00 hrs to the clinic the package was assembled for the Consulate, but the Police, Single, Birth, and divorce docs were not included in the sealed packet. We did get a notice of required documents needed to proceed, and a complete examination report with x-ray tube. We returned to the hotel, went out to eat, and returned to go through the game plan for the mornings interview.

12-Oct-2006

At 5:00 Hrs I wake to complete assembly of the evidence with Chinese tabs, and write a handwritten letter to the VO.

12-October-2006

I, Petitioner, apologize for the incompleteness of our documentation required for the scheduled appointment due to misinterpretation. We fully understand the possible outcome of today¡¯s interview, and are in the process of obtaining the required documents for fulfilling the requirements of the United States Consulate, and USCIS for immigration.

Jie means the world to me, and we intend to spend the rest of our lives together, so be it granted in America, or I legally living in China.

Once more, I would like to apologize for the incomplete documentation, and waste of your valuable time. Please have mercy.

Not exactly the same words but the same message.

6:50 AM we proceed to the Consulate to wait in line. I eased Jie¡¯s nerves by carrying on by joking and being positive that we will be alright. Just delayed a bit longer. She completely understood, and said she would wait as long as it takes. A scan of the invitation and Jie¡¯s passport by the guard, and we were off the 4th floor. The wait began. On the first floor I met another American, and we stopped at the coffee shop beyond the elevators. We exchanged stories of our experiences, and at 10:00 Hrs. his fianc¨¦e returned with pink slip in hand with the biggest smile on her face. They proceeded off on their way, and I returned to the 4th floor to wait.

At 10:50 Hrs. Jie rounded the corner with a pink slip, and asked for 20 RMB. We returned to the entrance of the Consulate where she returned inside to pay the EMS fee.

Now for Jie¡¯s recount of the interview events interpreted by myself. Upon separation at the entrance, she proceeded inside. She said that the first person she talked to told her that she would have to return to her hometown to obtain the white bound books. This was a Guangzhou person. Then the second person repeated the same line, also a Guangzhou person she said.

She then took a number and waited.

At the window she said an American Visa Officer greeted her with a smile, and she said ¡°Good Morning.¡± She said that the smile made her fears disappear.

Tell me how is a VO going to smile when no Birth, Single, Police, or Divorce documentation is in their possession?

She handed the VO my statement, and he read it then asked for the documents we had collected as the Police, birth, single, and divorce documentation. He looked at them and walked off for 5 to 10 minutes, and returned. He asked is your husband here, and she said yes. Is that his passport the VO said, she said yes, He asked may I see it and she gave it to him through the window, he looked at the 5 visas in my passport and asked her when I visited China, she named the dates, and he handed it back to her. Next he asked her for the I-134, briefly looked at it, kept it, and said why do you love your husband. She said I do not know, and said it was yuan fen. (Here is the true meaning of my member name.) He smiled and said do you have pictures. She handed him the 30 pictures we decided upon, and he scanned them stopping at on and asking are these some clothes that you made that you are wearing? She said yes, he said they are very nice, and scanned the pictures some more, stopping at the picture that was taken at Jing Po of the big group of family and friends for a few minutes. He then smiled and handed her back the pictures. He told her that he wants her to go to his America, and America wants her to come there.

IMHO

This process is so unpredictable I do not know what to think.

I am still in shock.

:greenblob: :greenblob: :greenblob: :smartass:

CONGRATS YUAN FEN

:smartass: :smartass: :rolleyes:

But as Yanlan and I did everything by the book, pre, during, and post interview. Dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's,,,,,I wonder~? :greenblob:

Rick,

I am as confused about this as everyone else. I feared posting our story due to the fact that

my heart inside goes out to each and every case in limbo. My first thought before I posted, and is still

burning me inside are the feelings of others who have toed the line and seen the crushing blow of rejection.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions, and help me understand also. As for being not prepared, we were prepared just my interpretation of what it all should look like. Believe me, I studied my rear off.

I will attempt to draw an outline without giving out any personal information.

I, divorced 5 years, no dependents, make well above the poverty line, and had made 5 trips to China. This trip being one.

Jie, divorced 8 years, a daughter that will not follow to the US at this time, and little English.

We are the same age.

Many pictures, kissing, dancing, crying together on the way to the airport, with family, you name it.

We met in person may have some weight, and we did not file until one year after meeting, three trips later.

The police certificates, one obtained in July, which I had questioned the verbiage of FG, and another in late September without this verbiage. In Chinese with translation.

Birth certificate was not checked on P3, but unobtainable was. In Chinese with translation.

The single certificate was not obtainable at her hometown, and I prepared to have this

Notarized at the Consulate. It was predetermined that this was the only way to go. I prepared

a Chinese version to be notarized and translated in Shanghai, but the notary would not do this. I took if a document was in English it would be sufficient. It was nearly the exact statment David quoted on this issue. Stating she was not married, and took all legal responsibility.

When I saw the white book format, the documents we had were the same just not with a pretty cover. Documents submitted were all originals, not copies.

I-134, tax transcripts, W2, Social Security report, originals.

I was there in person and it may have some weight also, but not exactly needed from what I have read.

The statement in handwriting explaining our situation.

I honestly felt we met the requirements up until the presentation of docs in the white book issue came up. There is not enough information to conclude this is necessary in my mind.

I hope this helps.

Ok, given a more complete picture, I can now see why a compassionate VO may have approved your SO's visa petition. Congrats.

Rick,

I am as confused about this as everyone else. I feared posting our story due to the fact that

my heart inside goes out to each and every case in limbo. My first thought before I posted, and is still

burning me inside are the feelings of others who have toed the line and seen the crushing blow of rejection.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions, and help me understand also. As for being not prepared, we were prepared just my interpretation of what it all should look like. Believe me, I studied my rear off.

I will attempt to draw an outline without giving out any personal information.

I, divorced 5 years, no dependents, make well above the poverty line, and had made 5 trips to China. This trip being one.

Jie, divorced 8 years, a daughter that will not follow to the US at this time, and little English.

We are the same age.

Many pictures, kissing, dancing, crying together on the way to the airport, with family, you name it.

We met in person may have some weight, and we did not file until one year after meeting, three trips later.

The police certificates, one obtained in July, which I had questioned the verbiage of FG, and another in late September without this verbiage. In Chinese with translation.

Birth certificate was not checked on P3, but unobtainable was. In Chinese with translation.

The single certificate was not obtainable at her hometown, and I prepared to have this

Notarized at the Consulate. It was predetermined that this was the only way to go. I prepared

a Chinese version to be notarized and translated in Shanghai, but the notary would not do this. I took if a document was in English it would be sufficient. It was nearly the exact statment David quoted on this issue. Stating she was not married, and took all legal responsibility.

When I saw the white book format, the documents we had were the same just not with a pretty cover. Documents submitted were all originals, not copies.

I-134, tax transcripts, W2, Social Security report, originals.

I was there in person and it may have some weight also, but not exactly needed from what I have read.

The statement in handwriting explaining our situation.

I honestly felt we met the requirements up until the presentation of docs in the white book issue came up. There is not enough information to conclude this is necessary in my mind.

I hope this helps.

Okay now for the kick in the below the waist. After Mr. and Mrs. Yang examine our documents they state that since Jie¡¯s Police Record, Birth Cert, Single Cert, and divorce docs were not in the neat little white infamous books we should opt to reschedule the interview. At this time I was frustrated, and could not believe this was happening.

Congratulations!

As I am new hear and just beginning the K-1 process myself, can someone explain the "white bound books" thing to me? Do these books come with the Birth Certificate, Single Certificate, etc.? Or, if not, how does one obtain one of these white bound books?

With all due respect yuan fen, but I don't understand your story at all.

With 699 posts under your belt here at CFL, you're certainly no newbie. How could you two possibly have arrived at GUZ without all the requested documents securely in hand? When your SO signed and returned the P3 back to GUZ, she was suppose to have had all those documents completed. Did she just lie?

I can't possibly imagine how you got there without any of these done.

It's great that you personally got through this process without playing by any of the rules but as a system of check and balances, that VO should be fired! He or she completely was NOT doing his or her job. Having compassion is one thing, allowing visa applicants to pass interviews without all the proper required documents is a seucrity breech.

I wholeheartedly agree. By Wednesday, I may have one HELL of a lot more to say.

I again repeat my congratulations on your success. The luck of the gods was with you.

I understand your position. I will not debate, but this may clarify our case.

I was in her hometown in July before P3 arrived to meet these requirements. The hukou was not very giving.

We did have the documents in hand when P3 was returned predated, we updated the police cert, but we submitted both of them at interview. I feared the wording of FG in the first doc, but realized that the date would not meet the requirement of Form 169.

The single certificate are for those who are unmarried, she was married then divorced so the Lihunzheng is documented proof of status. This is how the hukou explained it to us.

On DS-156K it states Marriage Certificate (if any), and Divorce decree (if any). Nothing on Previously married requiring single status certification.

Take MrBill's case, his SO flew to her hometown and back before the interview for the single certificate, visa granted.

Birth Cert, we checked unobtainable, but had the documentation as described in Form 169.

I agree, if it was an issue of not meeting the requirements, give me the blue slip. We will counter with the requirements, and press forward. If it means waiting, so be it. I intend to abide the law at all measures. I even plead our case to the VO in writing, stating we did not have the documentation in neat little white books, but we did have it in raw form. Raw form was accepted.

With all due respect yuan fen, but I don't understand your story at all.

With 699 posts under your belt here at CFL, you're certainly no newbie. How could you two possibly have arrived at GUZ without all the requested documents securely in hand? When your SO signed and returned the P3 back to GUZ, she was suppose to have had all those documents completed. Did she just lie?

I can't possibly imagine how you got there without any of these done.

It's great that you personally got through this process without playing by any of the rules but as a system of check and balances, that VO should be fired! He or she completely was NOT doing his or her job. Having compassion is one thing, allowing visa applicants to pass interviews without all the proper required documents is a seucrity breech.

What not to do in the 12 o¡¯clock hour of the interview. This is a truly rare case, and I would not attempt to duplicate our steps. We were truly blessed, and I am still in disbelief as are others in Guangzhou who experience the process daily.

yuan fen

9-Oct-2006

Arrival at 22:00 Guangzhou Airport

P4 not a mark on the documents

Medical not complete

No single Certificate

More pictures needed

10-Oct-2006

Mission: fill out P4 documents, and obtain Single Certificate

Not too impossible right?

I was not about to give up at halftime.

Anyway, around 14:00 Hrs we walk to the consulate to obtain notarization of the English document for Jie¡¯s Single Cert. Yes, it was a statement in English, no Chinese document was used for our case.

I was admitted into the Consulate, and Jie would have to wait for my return. In the Consulate I take a number and wait to be called. After being called, I explain that I needed a document to be notarized with Jie¡¯s signature, and by this time it was 14:55. The nice woman at the window directed me to the cashier, which closed at 15:00, and said after I paid to bring Jie back in with me. First trip to the 4th floor where Jie was waiting we attempt to enter. None doing, I could return but Jie would have to wait because the guard was not called to allow Jie to enter. So, back to the 5th floor, obtain another number, and wait to explain again. A young man at the window said to return to the 4th floor, he would call the guard, and we should return. This time admitted, we return the 5th floor, take a number, and wait. Another woman at another window called upon us; sorry we can not do this was the response. Then an American Visa Officer approached the window, and I proceeded to explain our situation. He explained that this may or may not be sufficient for evidence, but he could notarize the document with no guaranty. I also posed the question of Jie¡¯s other documents. He replied that this is not normal, and that the documents may not be accepted at the interview. So we had two choices, a fork in the road, let it ride or postpone.

He did explain that rescheduling could push things out a few months for another interview, risk of blue slip at that time, and even postpone things even longer. If we proceeded with the interview we may receive a blue slip, but we would know exactly what the Consulate required.

I am not about to lay down was in my mind.

Push forward was our choice. I explained to Jie that we may have to return at a later date, and we truly expected a blue slip.

We then returned to the room to complete assembly of the P4 docs. 5 hours later we finished with the help of Mr. and Mrs. Yang. In the morning it was off to the medical.

11-Oct-2006

8:00 Hrs. and off to the Medical College where we were informed an expedited service was impossible. So we go to the clinic next to the White Swan Hotel, and things are a go at 800 RMB for expedite. Before returning to the clinic we make copies of all docs being submitted to the Consulate in the medical packet, and drop off a CD for development of pictures. Returning at 16:00 hrs to the clinic the package was assembled for the Consulate, but the Police, Single, Birth, and divorce docs were not included in the sealed packet. We did get a notice of required documents needed to proceed, and a complete examination report with x-ray tube. We returned to the hotel, went out to eat, and returned to go through the game plan for the mornings interview.

12-Oct-2006

At 5:00 Hrs I wake to complete assembly of the evidence with Chinese tabs, and write a handwritten letter to the VO.

12-October-2006

I, Petitioner, apologize for the incompleteness of our documentation required for the scheduled appointment due to misinterpretation. We fully understand the possible outcome of today¡¯s interview, and are in the process of obtaining the required documents for fulfilling the requirements of the United States Consulate, and USCIS for immigration.

Jie means the world to me, and we intend to spend the rest of our lives together, so be it granted in America, or I legally living in China.

Once more, I would like to apologize for the incomplete documentation, and waste of your valuable time. Please have mercy.

Not exactly the same words but the same message.

6:50 AM we proceed to the Consulate to wait in line. I eased Jie¡¯s nerves by carrying on by joking and being positive that we will be alright. Just delayed a bit longer. She completely understood, and said she would wait as long as it takes. A scan of the invitation and Jie¡¯s passport by the guard, and we were off the 4th floor. The wait began. On the first floor I met another American, and we stopped at the coffee shop beyond the elevators. We exchanged stories of our experiences, and at 10:00 Hrs. his fiancée returned with pink slip in hand with the biggest smile on her face. They proceeded off on their way, and I returned to the 4th floor to wait.

At 10:50 Hrs. Jie rounded the corner with a pink slip, and asked for 20 RMB. We returned to the entrance of the Consulate where she returned inside to pay the EMS fee.

Now for Jie¡¯s recount of the interview events interpreted by myself. Upon separation at the entrance, she proceeded inside. She said that the first person she talked to told her that she would have to return to her hometown to obtain the white bound books. This was a Guangzhou person. Then the second person repeated the same line, also a Guangzhou person she said.

She then took a number and waited.

At the window she said an American Visa Officer greeted her with a smile, and she said ¡°Good Morning.¡± She said that the smile made her fears disappear.

Tell me how is a VO going to smile when no Birth, Single, Police, or Divorce documentation is in their possession?

She handed the VO my statement, and he read it then asked for the documents we had collected as the Police, birth, single, and divorce documentation. He looked at them and walked off for 5 to 10 minutes, and returned. He asked is your husband here, and she said yes. Is that his passport the VO said, she said yes, He asked may I see it and she gave it to him through the window, he looked at the 5 visas in my passport and asked her when I visited China, she named the dates, and he handed it back to her. Next he asked her for the I-134, briefly looked at it, kept it, and said why do you love your husband. She said I do not know, and said it was yuan fen. (Here is the true meaning of my member name.) He smiled and said do you have pictures. She handed him the 30 pictures we decided upon, and he scanned them stopping at on and asking are these some clothes that you made that you are wearing? She said yes, he said they are very nice, and scanned the pictures some more, stopping at the picture that was taken at Jing Po of the big group of family and friends for a few minutes. He then smiled and handed her back the pictures. He told her that he wants her to go to his America, and America wants her to come there.

IMHO

This process is so unpredictable I do not know what to think.

I am still in shock.

Congratulations!

As I am new hear and just beginning the K-1 process myself, can someone explain the "white bound books" thing to me? Do these books come with the Birth Certificate, Single Certificate, etc.? Or, if not, how does one obtain one of these white bound books?

Welcome!

Thanks!

I see this issue as being unclear also, and should have more visability. I read about it in bits and pieces.

The last thing I want to do is rain on your parade. You made it! You have the pink slip. I am very happy for you. My issue is not with you, or anything that you did to reach the point that you are at. I admire how you were able to succeed under that kind of pressure. Please forgive me if this is not clear. There is no need for further explanation, yuan fen. I am sincerely happy for you.

My issue is with the VO's at the Consulate, and the discretionary powers that are given to them, nothing more.