First of all, my wife is my beneficiary on the insurance. But I did not think that our marriage would be a topic for denial, so we did not send anything for this.

Now about the overcome documents. My wife told me on the phone, that the process now is that when you have the documents, you call the visa call center and they set up an appointment. She was told, the appointment is about 2 months out. I do not know if this is how they do business now or not. By the time my wife returns, I will have about 90% of the documents ready. We'll even throw in many photos of us here in the US. If they set the overcome appointments now, she'll have to return in January or February.

I just never dreamed that we would have to prove our marriage again.

I know it is unfortunate and difficult to understand but seems a simple fix.

The call center is a service contracted out and has a cost tied to it by a pin number. It has been awhile for me but I had to charge my pin twice because I kept getting messages to call back as no one was available to speak in English. I figured out to call when it was the mid-afternoon in China, not morning as that seems to be the busiest time as far as call volume.

I don't recall the number to the call center, maybe another member has it handy. My appointment was available in the month frame. In other words, I could not make an appointment for September in August. I remember that I tried to make an appointment for the first week in November as I was trying to get better rates on airfare but had to pay extra for airfare because they couldn't schedule our appointment out of the month of October as I was calling in the first week of October. I just wanted to get there, get my family's visas and get home.

This was my experience. things may have changed.

Good luck again...

Hindsight being 20/20 of course, it simply underscores the importance of having some documents ready "just in case". Utility bills with both names on them, a postcard to the address with her name on it, insurance documents with both names and address on it may have prevented this.

I hope this matter is resolved quickly so Mike and his family can continue with their lives together.

First of all, my wife is my beneficiary on the insurance. But I did not think that our marriage would be a topic for denial, so we did not send anything for this.

Now about the overcome documents. My wife told me on the phone, that the process now is that when you have the documents, you call the visa call center and they set up an appointment. She was told, the appointment is about 2 months out. I do not know if this is how they do business now or not. By the time my wife returns, I will have about 90% of the documents ready. We'll even throw in many photos of us here in the US. If they set the overcome appointments now, she'll have to return in January or February.

I just never dreamed that we would have to prove our marriage again.

My friend, my fiancee was there at the same time. All one can do is never take for granted anything when it comes to the USA immigration. Just keep pluging along and the truth will prevail.

Mike,

I am shocked.. My thinking is the same as yours. Why would they need to validate a marriage to bring a mother and son together? Anyway I thought the validation was done last year.

My heart sank last year when we heard about your misfortune. Please know you and Xiao are in our prayers. I just don't believe all the crap they have thrown your way.

Mike and Lisa

She was told, the appointment is about 2 months out.

Call them again, and they may tell her they can set an appointment to submit additional documents in 2 weeks or one week.

I tried this before.

Sorry to hear your problems. Very unfortunate.

As a CR1, how would I prevent this from happening to my Wife on interveiw day?

We won't have anything joint when she goes to Guz.

At that point in time in the scheme of things you wouldn't be expected to or required to show that type of evidence. Hopefully you are aware of the evidence that you should bring with you to the interview....Good Luck!

It's disheartening to hear of the denial, considering the history of what was endured so far.

We still have to try and understand visa issuance from the consulates point of view, however much we disagree at times.

This comment from gman is right on... one MUST understand where they are in the process and what expectations come with that position... and this answers NewDays question.

As for Mike's situation, the consulate will evaluate the validity of the relationship in determining whether to issue the child's visa.

Here is part of a quote that frank posted [from a consulate response to a question] in another thread which I see as parallel to this situation... The mother is in the US and the child awaiting a visa to be issued...

However, in order for your child to qualify as your spouse's stepchild, the consular officer must be convinced that your marriage is legitimate for immigration purposes.

The most direct way for the consular officer to know that the marriage is bona fide is for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security to have adjusted your status to that of legal permanent resident.

If you are not yet a legal permanent resident, the consular officer may require alternative evidence (e.g., joint rental agreements, bank statements, phone bills, photographs, etc.).

Based on this, what was asked for is exactly what should be expected...

I agree that this should be easily overcome..

Does the wife in this case have a CR1 and a SS#? Maybe I misunderstand, because unless that is the case, ......... at least I cannot get my wife on any bank account and etc, because she does not have a SS#. A tax ID does not help either. I have been told this already. Now maybe where you show you filed your income tax together, that is proof, I hope.

I did provide a credit card which the banks allowed. She will take those but it only has her name on it. I will maybe send the bill showing both of us on that bill when she used it once. Hmm. interesting. I also hope my wife pulling this K3 deal without her daughter just to wait for a CR1/2 later will work for us.

Wish you well, and so sorry for the trouble. I know now how real this gets.

Doug

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

Still... for some reason think that everyone is previewed and pre-decided somehow...

I tend to agree with you Rosyanne. USCONGUZ says that isn't true. If that is the truth then they are making decisions that seriously affect people's lives on scant evidence and gut reactions.

Still... for some reason think that everyone is previewed and pre-decided somehow...

I tend to agree with you Rosyanne. USCONGUZ says that isn't true. If that is the truth then they are making decisions that seriously affect people's lives on scant evidence and gut reactions.

Right. I recall that discussion. It may be the 'official' line but it doesn't hold water.

Guest pushbrk

Right. I recall that discussion. It may be the 'official' line but it doesn't hold water.

Twenty minute interviews (like Jim Julian's SO had) that end in a pink slip, tend to fly in the face of pre-determination of interview outcomes. However, as has been noted numerous times, multiple people see the case file before the VO that conducts the interview sees it. They then have the benefit of any previous notes to the file, positive or negative.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

Twenty minute interviews (like Jim Julian's SO had) that end in a pink slip, tend to fly in the face of pre-determination of interview outcomes. However, as has been noted numerous times, multiple people see the case file before the VO that conducts the interview sees it. They then have the benefit of any previous notes to the file, positive or negative.

I have long wondered about the pre-decison question, but leaning towards no pre-decision. Why - I compare the process to how my company hires new college graduates. First consider that we process far fewer folks than GUZ. Potential new hires are screened on-campus with a application and interview ( This is the Service Center and NVC). If they pass this gate they are invited for a on-site visit. ( This is GUZ) Three 1 hour hour interviews are used to make a offer/no-offer decision. There is no appeal or second chance.

Due to low volume we have luxury of 3 hour interview time. We use a stuctured process that we think yields a good result for us. The decisons we make have a influence these folks lives.

I think the decison is made at the time of interview. This thought is shaped by the decisions I have made on peoples future

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)

I have long wondered about the pre-decison question, but leaning towards no pre-decision. Why - I compare the process to how my company hires new college graduates. First consider that we process far fewer folks than GUZ. Potential new hires are screened on-campus with a application and interview ( This is the Service Center and NVC). If they pass this gate they are invited for a on-site visit. ( This is GUZ) Three 1 hour hour interviews are used to make a offer/no-offer decision. There is no appeal or second chance.

Due to low volume we have luxury of 3 hour interview time. We use a stuctured process that we think yields a good result for us. The decisons we make have a influence these folks lives.

I think the decison is made at the time of interview. This thought is shaped by the decisions I have made on peoples future

But consider that, at your company, many applications are turned down with no interview. Then consider that GUZ MUST interview every applicant. How much time would YOUR company spend if it knew it had to interview every single applicant, and how much time would it spend with the ones that it knew in advance would not be approved?

But consider that, at your company, many applications are turned down with no interview. Then consider that GUZ MUST interview every applicant. How much time would YOUR company spend if it knew it had to interview every single applicant, and how much time would it spend with the ones that it knew in advance would not be approved?

If we had to interview everyone , of course we would spend less time. The point is we are making big decisons on limited information. Often interviewers will have very different thoughts on a candidates. We are making decisons on the information and time available.

If the GUZ interviews are being pre-determined; when, where and who is doing that work ?

It's hard for me to believe that the cases are not predetermined.

When I was in Nanning, we got a call from Guangzhou. They called the house phone, and later on the cell phone. It was to tell us that they made a mistake on Lulus birthday. The lady gave us a choice if we wanted to countinue with the interview date, or wait until the name check was finished, again. We chose to keep the date, let Lulu be as the lady said, a follow along later. At the interview, the VO was not polite, it was a lady, next thing we know we get 2 blue slips in a row. Our case needs more investigation, 221g. Total time at window 3 minutes, at least half of that was to fill out the blue slip for the additional things they needed. Turns out they wanted everything that we started out the process with, all the information all over again? Thank god Yanlan had it all there and tryed to give it to the lady. No such luck, the lady said make an appointment and bring the information back later. Only to be given a blue slip again!

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)