New debate - what would you choose??

First .. I have to say .. that I am VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky girl. I have an amazing career that I love..with a great salary and great contacts in my industry.

Today I get a call from someone I worked closely with a couple of years ago and he is now the CEO in a lucrative company and he called to offer me an SVP job. Currently I am a VP and my immediate thought was thanks but no thanks because hstlakee is on the East Coast (city near the Hamptons in NY) and I am in We CA. I worked hard to be able to afford to live where I live because CA was my dream (yes .. I have been California dreamin for a long time .. and it totally lives up to my expectations). Lin is coming and I think he will like CA.. So I was thinking I would just refer someone who has the same or higher level skills... UNTIL........... duh duh duhhhh

he said .... he will consider a referal from me but ultimately wants me and then HE OFFERED ME DOUBLE MY CURRENT SALARY which is already GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! AND said money is no object if I need more we can talk :P :lol: :blink: Im like HUH????? WHAT?????? Did this just happen to ME????????

I told Lin and he says he will live anywhere as long as he is with me. I have many many things to investigate first before seriously considering it ..... But what would you do??? Would you choose to live in a city you like .. or move to a salary level that is way beyond your dreams?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think location is important, especially if you're already living where you think you would most like to live... HOWEVER you describe your current salary as "great" so more than double "great" in my vocabulary of ballpark estimates would be "fucking great". For a "fucking great" salary, I'd be willing to live ALMOST anywhere.

I don't think it's an easy decision. I would recommend finding out all you can about the location, and if possible flying out and seeing it first hand. Are there activities you enjoy you won't be able to there? Are there new things there you think you may like? Are all the stores, entertainment, etc that you love or something comperable easily available? How is the real estate market? Can you live with snow? Make yourself a list of pros and cons and take some time to see if you think one outweighs the other.

I don't know the situation in US.

In China, I used to be a job hopper. Company culture is my first concern. Someone offered double salary years ago, after I quit my job with a western-invested company, my new employer didn't keep her words and she treated employees like animals.

My uncle had a sound career with Oracle in Guangzhou, someone offered much higher salary to ask him to work in Hong Kong. 2 years later, he chose to return to Oracle.

Yes, many things you need to investigate.

If you want adventure, new experience, change your job now.

If you are planning to have a baby, stay where you are.

Lin will like California better I guess.

Lin is coming and I think he will like CA..

I told Lin and he says he will live anywhere as long as he is with me. I have many many things to investigate first before seriously considering it ..... But what would you do??? Would you choose to live in a city you like .. or move to a salary level that is way beyond your dreams?

239729[/snapback]

I lived in CA for 8 months right after I arrived. Then we moved to the East 3 years ago. To me, there is no difference living anywhere in the U.S. because life here is almost the same, I mean I do not need the bars or clubs there in CA. I do like CA's convenience to China and the ticket is much cheaper, but hey, I only went back to visit my family once in 3 years. I like the small town we live now, it is quiet, comfortable, and peaceful. So from a Chinese's perspective, we do not have much location preference. If I were you I would go for the opportunity. Think it this way, if you can earn and save enough, you can always move back to CA in the future.

Toni,

This is going to be a very tough decision for you. Personally, I would go for the money. However, since you have stated that it is double your current salary, I would keep my California property, rent it out or shut it down and secure it for a while. If the job does not live up to your expectations you can move back to your California dream without much trouble. Double your salary means you should be able to afford both an east coast home to live in and a west coast home that is sitting dormant without much monthly out of pocket expense or at least it shouldn't cause major problems with your monthly budget with your salary being doubled.

Another thing that may come into play here is changing addresses shortly after Lin arrives. I do not think this would have to much effect on the AOS, but it is something you need to look into.

Good luck.

JMHO

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

Seems like a real dilemma. Something to seriously consider is the expected workday length, where you are now you know what to expect.

Money is a nice thing to have and having more is a great thing, but having time with your family is often something that is overlooked. It's a balancing act and only you and Lin can decide what's best for your family.

Be sure to take your time with this decision, first glances can often be deceptive.

Risk and reward go hand in hand. You may want to exam the stability of each job and the stability of the firm you (will) work. Larger companies tend to be more stable though that is not always the case. Before you made any decision, you might want get an offer in writing and then make a comparison. Are you in the financial service industry, Toni?

First .. I have to say .. that I am VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky girl.  I have an amazing career that I love..with a great salary and great contacts in my industry.  

Today I get a call from someone I worked closely with a couple of years ago and he is now the CEO in a lucrative company and he called to offer me an SVP job.   Currently I am a VP and my immediate thought was thanks but no thanks because hstlakee is on the East Coast (city near the Hamptons in NY) and I am in We CA.  I worked hard to be able to afford to live where I live because CA was my dream (yes .. I have been California dreamin for a long time .. and it totally lives up to my expectations).  Lin is coming and I think he will like CA..  So I was thinking I would just refer someone who has the same or higher level skills... UNTIL........... duh duh duhhhh 

he said .... he will consider a referal from me but ultimately wants me and then HE OFFERED ME DOUBLE MY CURRENT SALARY which is already GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! AND said money is no object if I need more we can talk  :toot:  :toot:  :toot: Im like HUH????? WHAT?????? Did this just happen to ME????????

I told Lin and he says he will live anywhere as long as he is with me.   I have many many things to investigate first before seriously considering it ..... But what would you do??? Would you choose to live in a city you like .. or move to a salary level that is way beyond your dreams?

239729[/snapback]

Toni,

I would probably take the money, buy property in Both California and China and pay it off. Once you own outright many more options are available. The trick to absorbing a delta of a double salary, is to NOT upgrade your lifestyle and just invest the extra.

Also I would figure heavily how this would impact the time to spend with my new spouse. If it is going to mean 18 hour days / 7 days a week it would certainly not be worth it.

I don't think New York winters will even faze Lin, given that he is from Jilin. HE will probably be able to help YOU cope with the ice, snow and cold...

IMHO,

-James and Loving Candle

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)

I moved from Calif to Florida last year after more than 26 years near LA.

I am sure the Hamptons are as different from Calif as Fl is. New York has seasons. You know, things like blizzards, ice storms and dreadful humidity.

However, all that matters is your state of mind about the changes. If you go there and hate it, guess what? You won't be happy.

As I recall the East coast has, or had, more of a blue blood, nose in the air style regarding social standing and the status of your heritage in the area. Does your job, either one, require social smoozing? How do you feel about Martha Stewart lifestyle compared to, I assume (haha) a more laid back California, surfing and camping life?

New York won't lack for Chinese amenities. My wife loves Florida. She thought California was too crowded and too cold. I agree with the advice to check out the area and keep your Calif properties for at least one year. If you take the new job and later don't like it, how easily can you be re-hired and where? I also agree that Lin can adapt to any place and any lifestyle.

No matter how much money you make I am sure Lin will want a life of his own. After he arrives, go with him to the new job location. Then both of you can check out the area. Catch the vibe, you know?

We moved after K1 and before AOS. It was not a problem. Just remember to file the change of address forms for both of you.

PM us if you want to talk more about these things.

Being from New York, I moved when I was 31 or so. I always said new York was the place to live if you are rich, I wasn't so i left....having said that. I guess you might consider that you are bringing your Financee to the US. A new Job will require alot of commitment I beleive. But guess at that level, you would have more flexability. Just be mindful, Lin came to be with you, not your house or things you can buy. I'm sure you have considered this, but I guess I needed to say it.

I've never been to the Hamptons, but I know they are very nice and it is far removed from the hustle bustle of the "city"... Manhattan is the "city". I'm sure you can have a good life where ever you choose. good luck in your decision and your future when Lin comes to the US.

I would do a cost of living comparison between where you live and Hampton. It if is about the same and that your salary will be double, I would take the job given if the company look stable. Got to follow the money. Also higher title could open up more opportunities in the future. I am never loyal to a state or company. I am only loyal to my country. :lol:

Edited by drive_75 (see edit history)