Dental hygiene and dental care in China.

Dannie just had some dental work done and complained about the cost (My Story). I've heard many posts of how much dental work our wives are needing after their arrival here. I just finished spending $450 (with insurance coverage) just for deep cleaning on Leiqin.

Makes me wonder why they all complain about our costly dental care compared to China, yet all seem to be in need of it after their arrival. Is the cost, in China, still too much for most average wage earners to spend on regular dental care?

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

My wife had 13 fillings, 2 bridges, and cleaning done here. After insurance, it costs me about $4000. A bridge here costs her around $2500 (before insurance). In China, the same bridge costed only 2000 rmb. Now she has pain in one of her molar. I hope she doesn't need a root canal. :rolleyes: Also, she wants to have braces done this year. <_<

A suggestion for everyone's SO. Have them do all dental work before coming here.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

One of the things about dental care in China is that most dentist don't use pain killer and as with most on a limited income, even in the US, dental care comes last.

Gum disease is something most have to deal with because regular dental cleanings are not the norm in China for many.

My wife heard of high prices here . She had a wisdom tooth and a couple of fillings that needed to be done. She found a dentist that had practiced in the States and recently moved back to Shanghai. $18 per filling . She said to much and he laugh an said maybe you should wait to have done in States :rolleyes: . She had them done with him <_< In Maine most fillings are $75 to 125 each

You get what you pay for ... we will pay thousands before we recover from Chinese dentistry.

Who ever heard of breaking off wisdom teeth at the gumline and leaving roots in ... we just had 2 removed.

There are numerous instances of "partial" root canals which will have to be addressed. Other teeth are very loose. Gums not good even though she's been flossing for two years.

Our dentist is doing a two year recovery plan for us. He's not trying to exploit, I trust him.

In China the dentistry is more painful and a more dreaded thing than here in the US so they usually don't go until it is absolutely necessary (big pain). I would think the big cities would have some good, modern dentists though with an actual degree of some sort!

My wife supposedly saw one of the best dentist in Guilin before she came over. Crowns were about $100 each for the best quality (as I recall, I ain't asking and telling her I'm talking about her teeth, I know how to keep peace!).

Before my wife came I told my dentist she would be coming in to see him. He said that often the crowns done in some countries are the proverbial tin can knocked onto a fence post. When I took her in for her first dental exam the dentist said the work actually looked pretty good. She had deep cleaning and received one new crown (gotta sell them crowns). Her dental hygiene is much better now.

It's a good idea to have your SO get dental work done in China (as in expensive crowns) but insist they go to one of the better dentists, one that uses new needles if giving novacaine, and to get an estimate of the costs.

In China the dentistry is more painful and a more dreaded thing than here in the US so they usually don't go until it is absolutely necessary (big pain). I would think the big cities would have some good, modern dentists though with an actual degree of some sort!

My wife supposedly saw one of the best dentist in Guilin before she came over. Crowns were about $100 each for the best quality (as I recall, I ain't asking and telling her I'm talking about her teeth, I know how to keep peace!). 

Before my wife came I told my dentist she would be coming in to see him. He said that often the crowns done in some countries are the proverbial tin can knocked onto a fence post. When I took her in for her first dental exam the dentist said the work actually looked pretty good. She had deep cleaning and received one new crown (gotta sell them crowns). Her dental hygiene is much better now.

It's a good idea to have your SO get dental work done in China (as in expensive crowns) but insist they go to one of the better dentists, one that uses new needles if giving novacaine, and to get an estimate of the costs.

228804[/snapback]

My wife biggest expense was her deep cleaning and having an impacted wisdom tooth pulled also she had 4 fillings. Her oral surgeon said the Chinese dentist pulled the easy wisdom teeth and left the hardest alone since it was impacted and pulling it like the dentist there would have probably left some roots, it had to be cut in half to be removed. My wife couldn't understand the difficulty since the others were pull with no problems even after looking at the x-rays. The hardest part for my wife was the general anesthetic it took her some time to recover from it. My insurance covered all but $460 since she was over her $2000 limit.

Chinese dentistry is pedestrian at best. My wife came here with a partial root canal, loose fillings, a root left in her jaw, a brand new bridge already chipping, and a poorly fit crown. And I'm sure I'm leaving out quite a bit.

Not to mention dental care carries the same risk of hepatitis that medical care does. Sterilization? Boil it in a rusty pot. Reuse brush heads, etc? Hey why not? they still work!

Sorry you get what you pay for, and whether the odds are 6 to 1 or 100 to 1, it's still russian roulette to me.

I know this is something that will be an expense once she gets here. She can only get $1000 per year care her, so I imagine it will take a while. the root canals are very expensive, I paid $900 for one a few years back

It will be a challenge. I try not to talk about it too much now. I don't want her to feel bad. I do talk to her, but just not a lot at one time.

I know she has some issues. I will get her on my insurance on thursday at my company... her and her son that is.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)
Dannie just had some dental work done and complained about the cost (My Story).  I've heard many posts of how much dental work our wives are needing after their arrival here.  I just finished spending $450 (with insurance coverage) just for deep cleaning on Leiqin. 

Makes me wonder why they all complain about our costly dental care compared to China, yet all seem to be in need of it after their arrival.  Is the cost, in China, still too much for most average wage earners to spend on regular dental care?

228778[/snapback]

Folks in China don't care about dental care.

I found the average Chinese just don't want to spend the

money or time. So, by 30 years old or even earlier,

most folks have 3-5 fillings, gum disease, crowns, etc etc.

My SO at 25 has 2 crowns! She's only paying 900RMB and

she's telling me it's expensive :violin4:

I am saving a root-canal fund for her future dental bills

because I don't see my dental insurance picking up a lot of the fees.

A deep cleaning costs RMB80 in Guangzhou but I'm not happy with their work.

I had 3 fillings which cost RMB2000 (there are price range to choose and I chose medium one). I'm not happy with their work either.

..........Lots of 40 and over Chinese people walking around with missing teeth.

Ken

228955[/snapback]

I suggested a friend of mine have a deep cleaning of her teeth before leaving China but she didn't seem to understand.

I am just waiting for the day. It looks like expensive, if nothing else than for the cleaning, braces - if she will have them, and whitening - if she will have it. She said she needs some work and has some pain. So that will for sure have to be done. Personally I don't care about the looks, but I think once she is here she will notice and be a little embaressed. I think it will mean a couple of years.