A Question And A Fear

Wasn't sure where to put this. I guess it could go under the AOS and other issues forum, but maybe it actually fits here. (If anyone wants to move it, feel free).

Let's suppose that this latest hairbrained scheme to grant illegal laborers in this country work visas, as has already passed one Congressional committee, actually becomes law.

It raises a question and a fear.

Question:

Who is going to process the paperwork on all these folks and will they have to go through the same namecheck, security check mumbo jumbo as the rest of us?

Fear:

USCIS will have to do this and those who are in the visa pipeline legally will get pushed to the back of the line.

If you think this couldn't happen, you have a lot more faith in our system than I do. I went through the worst of the Black Hole and I know just how screwed up priorities can get.

If I were in the pipeline waiting on a visa, I would want to know how this pending legislation, which is a real hot button political issue in an election year, is going to effect those trying to immigrate legally. Even those of us farther down the line, say those in the AOS process, could also be affected. Someone is going to have to process all these folks.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, believe me I don't. I hope that reason will prevail in all this. However, being a bit jaded due to my past experiences with our government when it comes to legal immigration, I have got at least one eye wide open.

All I heard was Senator John McCain (Az) say that these immigrants would have to take their place at the "end" of the line and "wait their turn." For what it's worth.

If it does not work the first time, try and try again!

The Immigration Reform and Control Act ('Simpson-Mazzoli Act, IRCA, Pub. L. 99-603, Nov. 6, 1986, 100 Stat. 3359) is an American law that was created in order to stop illegal immigration from Mexico, which was seen as a threat to the economy.

There were a great deal of immigrants in the United States at the time who were either illlegal or unemployed. The law criminalized the act of knowingly hiring an undocumented worker and established financial and other penalties for those employing illegal aliens, because it was thought that not as many people would be attracted to enter the U.S. illegally if the prospects for employment were low. A one-year amnesty program for illegal aliens who had already worked and lived in the U.S. since January 1982 was established. Those eligible could apply for regularization of status and eventually full citizenship. The law also mandated the intensification of Border Patrol activities including the auditing of employer I-9 forms.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Question:

Who is going to process the paperwork on all these folks and will they have to go through the same namecheck, security check mumbo jumbo as the rest of us?

Fear:

USCIS will have to do this and those who are in the visa pipeline legally will get pushed to the back of the line.

If you think this couldn't happen, you have a lot more faith in our system than I do. I went through the worst of the Black Hole and I know just how screwed up priorities can get.

203199[/snapback]

So, they say that these illegals will go to the end of the line. Yeah? Really? There is no way to process 13-million criminals with the current staffing.

Fellow Colorado residents. Sen Allard is good, Salazar is bad. Please write Salazar as I have and explain that the plan he supports is amnesty. My letter:

Dear Senator Salazar,

I am glad that you do not support amnesty for illegal aliens. However, I think you should look up the definition if you think this is not amnesty:

In exchange for coming forward, these individuals will be given a temporary and conditional visa. After six years, if they meet numerous requirements, including proving they are integrating into our country by learning English, U.S. history and government, pay back taxes, commit no crimes, and pay more fines, they can get to the back of the line behind those who are currently waiting to become U.S. citizens.

This is amnesty! You cannot change an apple by calling it an orange.

Since the first amnesty law in 1986, there have been 4 other such laws. A new amnesty bill will not change a thing. You say it would be expensive to deport 10 million people? How much will it cost to process them to stay? Much more I would guess. Do you think illegals should get physical exams like legal immigrants? Have name checks like legal immigrants? Good luck with that as it took my wife 16 months to get her K-1 visa and the final name check took 6 months after her visa was approved.

As far as I have seen, the only bill in the Senate that will address,really address, the problem is HR4437. What has happened to this bill since it passed the House?

I am afraid that the same old Senators, Kennedy, McCain, Spector and others also voted for the previous amnesty plans. I had hoped that you would breathe new life into the Senate but you are just following the lead of those who have proven records for failure when addressing the problem of illegal aliens.

Why should you follow the will of President Fox and the demostrators to vote against the wishes of the American people? Do you really think the Mexicans wish to integrate into our country or do you realize that they want to take territory that they claim is theirs. Why, if they have to learn English, do we have ballots containing Spanish?

And finally, how large a population do you want for the USA?

Sincerely,

His whole statement is on his website.

Fellow Colorado residents. Sen Allard is good, Salazar is bad. Please write Salazar as I have and explain that the plan he supports is amnesty. My letter:

Dear Senator Salazar,

I am glad that you do not support amnesty for illegal aliens. However, I think you should look up the definition if you think this is not amnesty:

In exchange for coming forward, these individuals will be given a temporary and conditional visa. After six years, if they meet numerous requirements, including proving they are integrating into our country by learning English, U.S. history and government, pay back taxes, commit no crimes, and pay more fines, they can get to the back of the line behind those who are currently waiting to become U.S. citizens.

This is amnesty! You cannot change an apple by calling it an orange.

Since the first amnesty law in 1986, there have been 4 other such laws. A new amnesty bill will not change a thing. You say it would be expensive to deport 10 million people? How much will it cost to process them to stay? Much more I would guess. Do you think illegals should get physical exams like legal immigrants? Have name checks like legal immigrants?  Good luck with that as it took my wife 16 months to get her K-1 visa and the final name check took 6 months after her visa was approved.

As far as I have seen, the only bill in the Senate that will address,really address, the problem is HR4437. What has happened to this bill since it passed the House?

I am afraid that the same old Senators, Kennedy, McCain, Spector and others also voted for the previous amnesty plans. I had hoped that you would breathe new life into the Senate but you are just following the lead of those who have proven records for failure when addressing the problem of illegal aliens.

Why should you follow the will of President Fox and the demostrators to vote against the wishes of the American people? Do you really think the Mexicans wish to integrate into our country or do you realize that they want to take territory that they claim is theirs. Why, if they have to learn English, do we have ballots containing Spanish?

And finally, how large a population do you want for the USA?

Sincerely,

His whole statement is on his website.

203233[/snapback]

That's a great letter, Ski. I hope he reads it in earnest. You are so right that you can't change the nature of an apple by calling it an orange. And, for the record, I would love to see it in writing as a part of the legislation, if they pass it, that these undocumented folks go to the back of the line. Believe me when I say that if it becomes a question of getting them legal to get them in the fields faster, they will be put up front. You can take it to the bank.

I rarely get involved in any discussion that even faintly resembles politics. However, this issue has really rankled me. Sorry.

Ok................

Lets assume they put these 10 million people to the "back of the line".........

What happens to one of our good, law abiding citizens who meets a nice Chinese lady and eventually decides to get married. They apply for their visa BEHIND these 10 million illegals.................

How long will it take for them to get a legal visa for his new wife? 10 years???

Anyway you look at it - the law abiding citizens will pay the price - a huge price!!!

Scott

Coon, you are so right!

Ty, when I was in High School (eons ago) many kids would go work in the fields harvesting onions which was the main crop in our area. It is good training for our kids. Let them learn to work and they will appreciate why they need a good education.

I don't think that the farms need 10 million or more workers. I have done many of the jobs that "Americans won't do." Shoveled snow, mowed lawns, fixed toilets etc. For pay. I guess I come from another world.

What ever did we do without them???? I have faith in America and the American worker. We can do the jobs.

Remeber a few years ago when many black youths rioted in Benton Harbor, Mich because they could not find jobs?

Anyway, why not pass HR4437 and give it a try before we commit to an amnesty program?

Edited by skibum (see edit history)

It doesn't mean a thing what we think with this regime in office. Look at the past. This prop will pass in due time, just worded different than it is now to look better to most people. I feel real sorry the the people that take the legal route because they are law abiding citizens. The process will truly be much much longer. There will be more money involved with the illeagal aliens issue for the Gov to make. Money talks.

Well, look at it this way. America needs someone to harvest the crops. A hot, dirty, low paying job that natural born Americans care not to do.

203236[/snapback]

One problem I see is that if these people gain legal status, the wage for these jobs will have to go up to meet at least minimum wage requirements and would still burden the industry.

I think the illegal group should be put into 2 catagories. Visa overstays should be looked at differently than border intrusions. At least the overstays had at one time sought a legal visa and should not be penalised as much as the others.

That being said, it takes about 6 months to process and deport an illegal. Just imagine how slow things would be if USCIS had to process 12 million deportation cases.