Chinese New Year

My wife didn't think it was a good idea for me to go this year. She'd rather I waited and was there for her birthday. The people are everywhere, and if you want to go anywhere the transportation systems will be jammed up with people also travelling.

The plus side is that you can sometimes get a tour rate flight, and maybe work something out that your SO is on the tour as well...

I want to go one year, but now isn't the best time, according to my SO, and I hear my Lao po when it comes to this sort of stuff. I must admit though, that part of her hesitation is astrological. I don't get it all, but she is pretty convinced, so I listen. ;)

I was there for the equivalent of Independence Day, 1 October, and it was pretty crazy. This is NOTHING like Spring Festival / Chinese New Year though. I guess that one is pretty minor compared to the new year, which is the biggest holiday time of the year in China.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)
Last year got in the habit of checking the commode for ICE FIRST :) . Toothbrush would freeze up and one of the two BEDROOM heaters (NOTHING in the kitchen and bathroom) would freeze up until noon. This was a high rise apartment that was ONLY 3 YEARS OLD! Got snow a few times right after Christmas. Heard it was one of the coldest winters Shanghai has had in YEARS!

178092[/snapback]

I'm going for 2.5 weeks.

Not having heat at home really sucks.

I'm thinking of bringing a space heater.

It's 1500 Watts but I need to get

a A/C transformer for the voltage differences.

Has anybody on CFL ever

brought a space heater to China before?

Suggested items for NY in Shanghai: Ear plugs and asprin, if crowds and pushing EVERYWHERE bother you stay home.

Edit: LOTS of RED ENVELOPES TOO!!!

178074[/snapback]

It's also time for those little orange-tangerine fruits that I like.

The red envelopes serve no purpose unless filled with plenty of 100 yuan notes!!!

It was cold and damp all day and night when I went last year. We only used space heaters to dry clothes. The walls were always damp and the restaurants had sheets on the floors so people wouldn't slip.

Gosh am I glad she's here with me now in my carpeted, central air and heated apartment home. :)

Edited by esun41 (see edit history)
I'm thinking of bringing a space heater.

It's 1500 Watts but I need to get

a A/C transformer for the voltage differences.

Has anybody on CFL ever

brought a space heater to China before?

178094[/snapback]

Why bring it from the US? Buy it here in China.

Before I finally got the apartment heat working I bought a nice little space heater at the local Lotus Supermarket for 168RMB ($20.80). It runs at 750W or 1500W, has a multi speed fan, rotates (or not), and has a thermostat.

They also have radiant heaters, which seem to be more popular.

Be prepared for complaints that all of this laowei electricity use will cause bankruptcy ... :bangin:

Figure on noise for a week - all night long. You'll get so sick of fireworks going off at 3AM you'll be ready to go postal. Also, take your warmest thermal underware and arctic clothing you can get. In the mornings you'll have ice in the streets and heat is optional in homes - mostly none. In a hotel, you may be able to have a little heat to keep from freezing.

178089[/snapback]

Too cold and damp in Nanning during that time. Also, a lot of business are closed at that time. Travel to any place in China will be crowded. No thanks. My wife is here anyway.

I am going to Shanghai to be with my girl on January 25th for 2 weeks.  Does anyone have any experience with the celebration?  Any tips?  Also, if anyone is going to be in or near Shanghai at that time, I'd love to meet for lunch or dinner.

178068[/snapback]

I will be in HongKong Feb. 8th-16th.

I spent the 2002 Chinese New Year in GZ and had a great time.

We went to a temple in Panyu and I watched people set off

strings of M80's.

Also we shopped in the flower markets; went out for dim sum and

dinner everyday with a different friend or relative. We stood in a crowd

of 1 million people and watch the fireworks.

It should be cool if you don't have a problem with crowds.

Guest blsqueaky
Eveery one needs to experience a big holiday in China - once!

178210[/snapback]

Ohhhh yes, spent American New Years eve in Shanghai, 2000, what a party ot the Peace Tower, Xmas and New Years eve in GZ, and now I just realized, I am flying back this time on Jan 21, how did I forget. See what the penalty is for changing tickets. Nope, just remembered, Jan 29. Have to be back. Dayum

Edited by blsqueaky (see edit history)