A VoIP Phone Company

Guest ShaQuaNew

For those that have made the switch from your existing telephone company to Italkbb, did you have difficulty in getting italkbb to "port" (transfer existing telephone number from the current carrier to italkbb) their number?

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

Not at all. Actually i had 2 phone lines until they ported the number. My Ibtalk phone used it's own number until the port was complete.

We had a little difficulty at first, as my existing telephone company is Vonage. Vonage does all their billing online, and does not send a paper bill in the mail. Italkbb wanted a copy of the most recent bill, and a copy that showed my name, account number, and address. Fortunately I was able to generate a PDF of the pages, and send it to them via email. They were very good at maintaining close touch. They are now in the process of porting our number, and we will have a temporary number until that process completes.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Any problem with DSL using italkbb? Verizon DSL requires a user id and password to set up the router.

Shouldn't be a problem. I 'm using the same router I had with DSL for my cable modem. My DSL company(Bellsouth), required me to have phone service which defeated my need for IBTalk... so I canceled. Currently, I'm using Linksys Cable modem>>> Linksys Router >> Linksys IBtalk box.

• 2 weeks later...

Any problem with DSL using italkbb? Verizon DSL requires a user id and password to set up the router.

Shouldn't be a problem. I 'm using the same router I had with DSL for my cable modem. My DSL company(Bellsouth), required me to have phone service which defeated my need for IBTalk... so I canceled. Currently, I'm using Linksys Cable modem>>> Linksys Router >> Linksys IBtalk box.

I just got my working on DSL. Not easy but got help from the Belkin router support.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_on_...e/att_bellsouth

AT&T closes deal on BellSouth. AT&T is required to offer NAKED DSL. So you won't have to have voice phone service if you just want DSL from AT&T. Starts at $19.99/month.

This is great news. It will save me almost $40 per month. My cable company started me at $41 per month for just internet service, then raised the cost 2 months later to $58.xx per month. That really burned my grits :ph34r: ,... but what could I do, with Italkbb, it still saved me $17.00 with Bellsouth(without Long distance) and I can now call my wife any time and she can call me anytime for free, priceless.

I will be glad when I can take advantage of the naked DSL, I'm sure we won't see it advertised. I wonder how much email with cost with Bellsouth, $5 or $10 per month maynot be bad.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have the SPA2102-R1 router from iTalkBB and need the admin login so that you can get access to more configuration, the login/password is:

admin

Was like pulling teeth getting this, I don't how many times I had to explain to them that it was going to be much easier for me to change the router config only, rather than my servers/switches/WAP/workstations.

This looks like a pretty good offer to me. Way better than Vonage. Right now I either have to be at home or using Vonage's silly keyring phone and a headset that straps me to my work computer. Plus to have iTalkMobile service would be a blessing. It says:

You can make calls from your cell phone as easy as you would by using iTalkBB home phone service, without broadband!

Okay now that I've read the nicely written marketing and I've read several pages on this toic of people saying they use iTalkBB and iTalkMobile.

Tell me what you think of the service.

http://www2.italkbb.com/bb/enu/enu_plan_6.asp

iTalkBB Global Unlimited Plan

$24.99 a month

With iTalkBB Global Unlimited Plan you can make unlimited phone calls anytime to anywhere in US, Canada, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, plus more than 20 countries and regions worldwide for only $24.99 a month.¡ø

Including unlimited free incoming calls from China to your assigned China Phone Number. Like the freedom of unlimited calling worldwide and receive unlimited calls from your friends and family in China for free? This is the best you can get for just $24.99!

AT&T closes deal on BellSouth. AT&T is required to offer NAKED DSL. So you won't have to have voice phone service if you just want DSL from AT&T. Starts at $19.99/month.

Isn't it entertaining watching AT&T put itself back together after all these years? Do you think they will try to get Bell Labs going again? Do you think Judge Greene is turning over in his grave? Will they get the Bell trademark back? I work in this industry, and the SECOND SBC bought AT&T they BECAME AT&T and GOD help us if we said SBC anything anymore... :D

-James

Isn't it entertaining watching AT&T put itself back together after all these years? Do you think they will try to get Bell Labs going again? Do you think Judge Greene is turning over in his grave? Will they get the Bell trademark back? I work in this industry, and the SECOND SBC bought AT&T they BECAME AT&T and GOD help us if we said SBC anything anymore... :D

-James

AT&T is not putting itself back together. It is SBC. SBC purchased the old AT&T. The reason SBC took the AT&T name is the AT&T name is a lot better then then SBC name. Also SBC/AT&T is buying Bell South also. SBC one of the baby bells puchased the parent and some of the other baby bells.

AT&T is not putting itself back together. It is SBC. SBC purchased the old AT&T. The reason SBC took the AT&T name is the AT&T name is a lot better then then SBC name. Also SBC/AT&T is buying Bell South also. SBC one of the baby bells puchased the parent and some of the other baby bells.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T

AT&T (NYSE: T) is the largest provider of both local and long distance telephone services, wireless service (formerly known as Cingular Wireless), and DSL internet access in the United States. The current company, which is based in San Antonio, Texas, United States, was formed in 2005 by SBC Communications' purchase of its former parent company, AT&T Corp. As a part of the merger, SBC shed its name and took on the iconic AT&T moniker and the T stock-trading symbol (for "telephone"). Although the corporation is considered SBC renamed, most of its major subsidiaries were part of AT&T prior to 1984, including the Bell Operating Companies and the long distance division.[1] However, AT&T lacks the vertical integration it once had, which had been the reason for the anti-trust suits that led to the 1984 breakup.

I understand that it's not AT&T purchasing the other regional bells, but SBC. Still, it does look like AT&T is reforming itself back into a national monopoly. It doesn't matter if SBC is the one who initiated this process, what matters is that the end result is the reintegration of the split apart regional bells back into a mega monopoly on the national level. Personally, I think it's a bad thing. When SBC ate up my regional bell, Pacific Bell, I was against it. SBC has very exploitative and draconian business practices. I use to think Pacific Bell was bad, but they were angels compared to SBC.

I tried this the other day... but Bellsouth told me this was available yet...Didn't make me happy... called my cable company Adelphia(now owed by Comcast) and asked about getting my rates reduced from $57 a month for just internet and they said they would reduce my rates by $15 a month if I got the cable TV service... I don't want it, can't have it... I must have DirectTV so I can see the NYGiants every week :P ..... anyway I asked to talked to a supervisor an a nice yong lady with my last name came on and I explained to her Bellsouth had rates much cheaper than Adelphia's and I was not happy with my rates... She said she would give me my Internet for $25 a month for 6 months and then they would give me my rate of $42 per month :D ... I'm now getting my highspeed internet and IBtalk for a total of $50 per month for the next 6 months. How cool is that? I may not need to go back to Bellsouth now. :P

• 1 month later...

OK, I started looking at ITalkBB versus the Vonage I now have.

With Vonage I will give up three nice features that ITalk BB does not have. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Vonage has a simultaneous ring feature where a call will ring at the same time on my home number and on my cell phone. Yes ITalkBB has a call forwarding but it is not the same.

Vonage has a Voice mail features that ItalkBB does not have. So if my internet service is down, all calls with Vonage go to a VM. With ITalkBB, the calls are lost. (maybe not if using the call forwarding feature of ITalkBB).

Vonage has an E-mailing of VM's to my e-mail account but then ITALKBB Does not have VM.

Vonage allows me to add extra (Ghost numbers) for about $5.00 per month and ITALKBB does not offer this feature.

Of course ITalkBB does offer the free calling to China that trumps all other lost features.

So who has switched from Vonage to ITALKBB? During the switch were you able to use your Vonage and ITALKBB equipment on the cable modem??

If you have a Linksys router for Vonage (As I do), can you use it also for ITalkBB as it accepts two numbers?

If you switched from Vonage to ITALKBB and took your old Vonage number, how long did the switch take and how well did it go???

What else do I need to know???