While we are issuing endorsements I would like to say a public thank you to Northwest Airlines which Ping and her daughter flew from Beijing to Japan, then connected Japan to Detroit, then Detroit to Atlanta, all on Northwest. Even with the possible nervousness I might have felt, instead I felt confident that it would work out as perfectly as it did. I had talked with the Northwest representatives in Beijing by phone at least a couple of times and confirmed and re-confirmed the seats and they had reassured me that there would be no problem making the connections. I got the tickets thru www. flychina .com.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave:

If I were not mistaken, you and Sarah are seperated?  Or it's another person.  I am just curious about it.

Sorry.

Good to hear you had a great time there.  I wish I could be there with my girl.  But things don't always go my way.

Hi Whoever,

this was an old post dated from last February. Sarah and I broke up last September.

Thanks for asking....

Chinadave

No one will have any problem if you just fly 1st class.  Great food, plenty to drink, lots of foot room!!!!!

Whats the big deal!!!

Great idea Bob! Since we are so wealthy, we can afford it. No problem. Of course we will still have to face the wrath of our loved one for wasting money.

In my travels on both United and other carriers to China and other overseas destination I found Cathay Pacific the absolute best for the following reasons.

1)  Very decent food with helpful stewardess, not stressed out and grumpy.

2)  Each seat back has it's own TV with at least 8 movie chanels and then games you can play with other passengers.  The seats also have the built-in head holders that prevent your head from falling while sleeping.. etc.

3)  non-stop flight service from LA & San Fran and ??... Detroit (I think).

4) Some incredible special fares like: 

Non-stop US to HK for $550.

21 day asia pass... fly from US to any of 15 asian destinations on your schedule, you pick em for $999 total.

Heh.. I live on the wrong coast. Its really difficult for me to fly to China for anything less than $800. Every once in a while I'll find a decent special for $650 or so, but those are few and far between. And so far I've been stuck with United. The only up-side I've found is the fact that I get a ton of sky miles every time I fly to Asia :)

Heh.. I live on the wrong coast. Its really difficult for me to fly to China for anything less than $800. Every once in a while I'll find a decent special for $650 or so, but those are few and far between. And so far I've been stuck with United. The only up-side I've found is the fact that I get a ton of sky miles every time I fly to Asia :)

Ya, I know what you mean. It takes almost as much time to get from Gulfport to LA as it does to get from LA to HK.

... Maybe it's time to fly with someone else for a while while United gets its act together. Any suggestions?

Dave

Louis

Dave,

In my travels on both United and other carriers to China and other overseas destination I found Cathay Pacific the absolute best for the following reasons.

1) Very decent food with helpful stewardess, not stressed out and grumpy.

2) Each seat back has it's own TV with at least 8 movie chanels and then games you can play with other passengers. The seats also have the built-in head holders that prevent your head from falling while sleeping.. etc.

3) non-stop flight service from LA & San Fran and ??... Detroit (I think).

4) Some incredible special fares like:

Non-stop US to HK for $550.

21 day asia pass... fly from US to any of 15 asian destinations on your schedule, you pick em for $999 total.

I have flown them in Business Class from LA to HK you are right they are the best and Know your name.. always called Mr when spoken to by the flight attendents. and they ain't bad looking either. :)

I flew Continental in October for just under 1100.00, but while I was waiting for the visa I was checking flights and the cost was lower in the summer. Is there a pattern to be seen here?

I'm a government employee so not a lot of income (plus child support don't make it any easier) and I really would like to fly first class if I can afford it 13 hours in coach ain't fun.

The food was good and the movies were new and different both ways. No complaint about the airline I thought it pretty wierd that the route there was Orlando-Newark-Tokyo-BeiJing 24 long hours with layovers. Newark???

That's the wrong way!!!!!

I thought it pretty wierd that the route there was Orlando-Newark-Tokyo-BeiJing 24 long hours with layovers. Newark???

That's the wrong way!!!!!

I have been told that the polar route is actually faster than crossing the Pacific directly, so Newark to Tokyo might not be a bad route.

Of all the carriers, I put Cathay Pacific (LAX-CLK) and Singapore Air (SFO-CLK) at the top of the list. I have never flown Northwest or United, but I would put Delta and China Southern (LAX-CAN) down there near the bottom. Given what Robert S. said about Northwest, I may have to give them a try. A buddy uses United a lot and is happy with the service.

I have flown numerous airlines to China in the last 8 years, but I have to say the I enjoy the United /Chicago to Beijing the best but make sure you book the new 777, the seats are more comfortable and there is a video sreen in every seat.

If you get lucky you might get a whole row to yourself. It is by far the fastest route 12-13 hours total and the prices are reasonable if you buy from a Asian owned travel agency, I have paid as low as 500.00 R/T

The only problem is UA sometimes won't let you upgrade with miles if you buy these deeply discounted seats. Another drawback is Chicago POE is a nightmare on a good day.

Air Canada is the next best price; they fly from Vancouver,Canada direct to Beijing this flight is not bad but they use a smaller Airbus, the seats in economy can be a little cramped, but Vancouver POE is wonderful, quick and easy.

Wow,

$500 or $600 to fly to China???? I must be flying in the wrong direction.... I always seem to spend about $1K anywhere I end up going.

As far as airlines, the US Airlines are always the ABSOLUTE WORST as far as service.

When I flew to Egypt, I went via Turkish Airlines.

The leg from USA to Istanbul, they handed out free eye-covers, toothbrushes, and socks (I think I may still have my kit) to ALL PASSENGERS. Meals were served with stainless silverware (and a plastic knife)). Meals were followed with a warm damp washcloth.

On the leg from Istanbul to Cairo, they dispensed with the foolishness of giving out a stainless fork, and plastic knife. The whole set was stainless.

As far as flying US Airlines, perhaps all of my recent flights have only been 2/3 the way across the country, but it has been years since I have seen any onboard movies.

It seems as if the airlines have become so competative on cost that they have forgotten to include any service. If on my next flight to Oregon, I am given a choice of an extra $5-$10 for a flight with a meal versus just peanuts.... Which will I choose? Part of the problem is advertizing. Companies like Travelocity don't compare meals vs peanuts.

Sometimes I wonder if the "fare games" that the airlines are always playing hurt them more than anything else. Why can it be more expensive for me to book a flight home to Oregon than to book it to China? How often do 2 people sitting next to each other pay hundreds of dollars of differences in fares?

----- Clifford ------

I've made several trips from both coasts of the US to China. When all things are considered (price, schedule, food, service, etc.), my best experience has been with EVA from LA to Macau via Taipei. Every time I've made the trip, I just called my local travel agent and asked her to find the best deal... which she did. Strangeley enough, the hop across the "big pond" was always on EVA. :V:

Flying from the east coast (Bost/Providence) Northwest is the worst, not so much for service or food which is OK, but for time.

If you leave at 8 am United will get you to Shanghai, by 5 to 6 pm the next day. With NW you will arive between 11 pm and midnight the next day. I think this is a big difference in time.

NW usually goes Boston/Provience to either Detroit, Memphis, or Minneappolis, then to Nerita, and on to Shanghai.

United from the east coast can be a non stop to SF and then direct to Shanghai.

My best price was this past January 03-Boston to Shanghai $698, RT