U.S. embassy warns citizens about Chinese hotel te

jtaylo69

BEIJING (CNN) -- The U.S. embassy is warning American citizens traveling to China to exercise caution after learning of a possible terror threat concerning the country's hotels.

"The embassy has learned that Chinese police advised hotels that Islamic extremist elements could be planning to attack four- and five-star hotels in China sometime over the course of the next week," said an advisory issued by the Office of American Citizen Services.

"Chinese authorities have assured the embassy that they are taking appropriate security measures and investigating the possible threat thoroughly."

The possible threat apparently did not target any specific area of China. No further details were immediately available.

BEIJING (CNN) -- The U.S. embassy is warning American citizens traveling to China to exercise caution after learning of a possible terror threat concerning the country's hotels.

"The embassy has learned that Chinese police advised hotels that Islamic extremist elements could be planning to attack four- and five-star hotels in China sometime over the course of the next week," said an advisory issued by the Office of American Citizen Services.

"Chinese authorities have assured the embassy that they are taking appropriate security measures and investigating the possible threat thoroughly."

The possible threat apparently did not target any specific area of China. No further details were immediately available.

167765[/snapback]

This really s@#k big time. I am planning to go to Shanghai/Lijiang/Xishuangbanna next week. Does this mean I have to put up with those lousy 3 star hotel? :angry:

Latest Update:

"The Chinese Ministry of Public Security informed the U.S. Embassy in

Beijing on November 10 that Chinese security authorities have determined

that the source of a reported threat against four and five star hotels

in China is not credible. The United States Government is not aware of

any other information of any threat against hotels in China, including

Hong Kong. Our warden message of November 9 on threats to hotels is

therefore retracted.

Americans living or traveling in China are encouraged to register with

the U.S. Embassy in Beijing through the State Department's travel

registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov. Americans

without Internet access may register directly with the U.S. Embassy by

calling (86)(10) 6532-3431. By registering, American citizens make it

easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

U.S. citizens planning to travel to China should consult the Department

of State's country-specific Public Announcements, Travel Warnings,

Consular Information Sheets, the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement and

other information, available at http://travel.state.gov. Up-to-date

information on security conditions can also be obtained by calling

1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. and for callers outside the U.S. and Canada a

regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444."

It's not impossible but I think it highly unlikely that al qaida or any Islam extremist group could get away with that in China.

China government and military couldn't bear the loss of face if that happend. No, I think China has security pretty damn tight! Especially with the upcoming 2008 olympic games, China couldn't afford to have it marred.

Besides, you would have to be a suicide bomber to attempt a large scale bombing because it will be pity on your soul if China caught you alive! :rolleyes:

It's not impossible but I think it highly unlikely that al qaida or any  Islam extremist group could get away with that in China.

China government and military couldn't bear the loss of face if that happend. No, I think China has security pretty damn tight! Especially with the upcoming 2008 olympic games, China couldn't afford to have it marred.

Besides, you would have to be a suicide bomber to attempt a large scale bombing because it will be pity on your soul if China caught you alive! :shutup:

167797[/snapback]

Oddly enough however, I beleive Al Qaeda has some ties and roots to Muslim Chinese living in Western China.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

who's afraid of the big bad wolf?