Going to China

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
For those who have not been watching the news, China says it will close it's borders if it finds a certain strain of the bird flu in the country.

You may be able to get there, but not back if the closure is in effect.

162781[/snapback]

Hmmmm, let's see...so, if I go to China now they won't let me go back to the US? I'd love to tell my boss I won't be coming to work for a while because China won't let me go home.....Oh well.....cest' le'vie.........

not really good news is it? what about the possibilities of our SO's being kept there because of it......... B)

For those who have not been watching the news, China says it will close it's borders if it finds a certain strain of the bird flu in the country.

162781[/snapback]

Are you sure it's China that says it would close its border? I see some news about Hong Kong saying it would close its borders with mainland China though.

162781[/snapback]

Are you sure it's China that says it would close its border? I see some news about Hong Kong saying it would close its borders with mainland China though.

162802[/snapback]

This is a very real threat as I have done a lot of study related to the possibility of this turning in to a Pandemic. It is a H5N1 virus that has infected migratory birds and domestic fowl. The most serious outbreaks have been in Viet Nam and Indonesia where there was some actual transmission from human to human. The virus spread into Southern Russia and into the Balkans. They are now finding small amounts in England and low level amounts in Canada amongst Migratory Birds. The more it spreads the better chance that it may pick up the sequence that will start human to human transmission. There have been some major outbreaks in Northern China which the Chinese Government has supposedly quarrantined and erradicated. It is hard to say how forthcoming the Chinese Government reports are as any kind of major outbreak in China would destroy the economy. If it starts gpoing human to human the US Government would never let us back in the country in any case. I am in Nanning with my wife and worry aboout this happening at anytime. That is why I am so worried about my extra long time line. They have a flu drug called Tamiflu which may help some in the initial start of the virus but the mutation sequence of Avian Flu will eventually mutate and make this drug ineffective. The only company that I have heard that may hold the key to producing a effective deterrant is a small pharmaceutical in Corvallis Oregon that has Genetic sequenced Oglio Moropholino that blocks the virus from mutation. This is not a Vaccine but a compound. The companies name is Avia Bio Pharma. It is cutting edge technology and the government has just starting helping fund their research. They need to have it put on fast track for the sake of humanity. This virus could kill hundreds of millions. Sorry for the doom and gloom but it is nervous time and I am very concerned about the Avian Flu.

Guest ShaQuaNew
This is a very real threat as I have done a lot of study related to the possibility of this turning in to a Pandemic.

162815[/snapback]

This is a possible threat senasationalized by the media. Take it how you will.....

I am going to China this friday to be with my SO during the GZ interview. Our original plan was to allow her to finish her job at end of year, see family during Chinese New year...etc. Now I am asking her to fly back to USA with me, she will need to quit her job in short notice and miss the Chinese New Year. I am very worried that the USA and China will take drastic action should there be any human cases showing up. I don't worry so much about that flu, I worry about the effect it will have on our long Visa process. The frustration would be terrible if something happened and our Visa expired. :)

Just Posted the Most ASC Warden's Warning about the situation & Have concurred with the US Embassy here in GUZ that THEY WILL, IN FACT, coinside with China's Ruling that should China Decide to close it's boarders due to the flu, It will mean Just that. NO ONE IN & NO ONE OUT, NO EXCEPTIONS.

The guy who answered the phone and gave me that info stated that the Embassy is quietly suggesting that any Americans who are here now, & feel that they may get traped here, they should contact their airlines to see if they will be able to accomdate them due to the recent information released by the CDC.

(For what it's worth) ;)

I dont' want to see such madness happening in next year or so.....