Chinese people are very disorderly

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to GZ but a number of cultures in the world simply regard spitting as good health. Swallowing excess mucous or chewed debris is scientifically unhealthy.

This is why we had spitoons. Spitting in America stopped as being esthetically unpleasing and a sign of poor education. Luckily spitoons are not used today. Imagine trying to find anyone legal to work to clean the spitoons in all our buildings. By the way spitoons were only indoors. Outdoors people spit on the ground. Many people still do today. Most food processing plants (as well as USDA regulations) state that spitting is prohibited.

Certainly Chinese realize that it is not approved of by Westerners. There is much less public spitting than 20 years ago. Ask someone who flew on a Chinese airline back then about the plastic sheet on the aisle to spit on. It would be rolled up with the spit as the plane landed.

153991[/snapback]

Don't forget about the people that spit chewing tobacco here in America!!! I see this all over the place. Can't stand it myself. Even smokers. Sorry to those who smoke :lol: If you want pushing and shoving and just plain disorder in lines and traffic,,,,,go to the Philippines. Over there they won't reach around you they will push you right out of the way to be first in anything. The Chinese have a orderly disorder that seems to work quite well comparitivly!!

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)
Wow, so let me get this straight. An American can go to China and push and budge his way onto line ups and ahead of the crowd and no one will fight him? They will just take it? I find this hard to believe.

Also, I wonder how often Chinese visit America and try this resulting in some fights breaking out. Americans have no idea their culture is naturally like this and they really aren't meaning to be rude.

187375[/snapback]

dstarsboy, I (we) can hardly wait for you to make your first visit to China. Hopefully, it's Nanning or someplace similar. Just know that if you don't go with a very open mind, you will be lost and quickly swallowed up by the seeming chaos. Or, you will learn to embrace and, maybe, love the disorder of your new love's country.

Most of us miss it, when we return to our quite, orderly and serene lives.

187398[/snapback]

I can't wait as well, I have plans to go in September so I'm browsing these forums quite a bit to ease some culture shock. I was mainly asking because of course, I don't want to be taken advantage of (aka. hail a cab 4 times only to have someone different push me out of the way 4 times to get into it). Especially in front of my lady. Haha.

Wow, so let me get this straight. An American can go to China and push and budge his way onto line ups and ahead of the crowd and no one will fight him? They will just take it? I find this hard to believe.

Also, I wonder how often Chinese visit America and try this resulting in some fights breaking out. Americans have no idea their culture is naturally like this and they really aren't meaning to be rude.

187375[/snapback]

dstarsboy, I (we) can hardly wait for you to make your first visit to China. Hopefully, it's Nanning or someplace similar. Just know that if you don't go with a very open mind, you will be lost and quickly swallowed up by the seeming chaos. Or, you will learn to embrace and, maybe, love the disorder of your new love's country.

187398[/snapback]

I can't wait as well, I have plans to go in September so I'm browsing these forums quite a bit to ease some culture shock. I was mainly asking because of course, I don't want to be taken advantage of (aka. hail a cab 4 times only to have someone different push me out of the way 4 times to get into it). Especially in front of my lady. Haha.

187455[/snapback]

Hi,

Let your lady hail the cab....

Yes things are different. I spent many 'thrilling' moments standing in the middle of VERY busy streets (BOTH day and night) with cars passing as close as one foot from me on both side as a group us including my SO and myself were crossing the street. I never thought I would consider just crossing the street MORE hazarous than the tram (rusty and old) going up to the Badaling Great Wall....

-James

187375[/snapback]

187398[/snapback]

187455[/snapback]

Don't worry; your lady will be running the show.

Guest pushbrk
Of course I can't disagree with the comments that bemoaning the apparent discourtesy and pushiness of many Chinese people is uncalled for, especially when you're married to a Chinese woman, but I want to come to Mark62's defense just a hair.

It takes some experience in so-called "third world" countries to see and appreciate that things just do not always go like they sometimes do in the US (the US is hardly Switzerland!).  I have several friends who have also found it difficult to stomach some of the social behaviors they have experienced in China. 

A few weeks in Morocco or Turkey will cure that!  Moreover, with 1.3 billion people, you're kind of behind the eight ball if you don't assert yourself!

There are somethings you accept in another culture, and some you don't.  What seems discourteous to us is just "business as usual" in many parts of China.  We restrict that kind of behavior to a football field.  But dishonesty or scamming foreigners or anyone else are not acceptable, no matter where you are.

This is an education for all of us, including learning tolerance for people who behave differently largely because their society has completely different challenges,  and also tolerance for those who's experiences have not given them the perspective to understand these kinds of differences.

Tolerance in not always a natural instinct, and often it has to be learned.

153387[/snapback]

I know this was a long time ago but since the thread made its way to the top of the pile again and "everyone is entitled to my opinion", here it is.

I think it is good to recognize that what one person thinks is rude, another thinks is business as usual. My first trip to Asia was an eye opener. The experience started at Heathrow airport where I was boarding the coach section of a BA 747 headed to Dhaka, Bangladesh, through New Dehli. The queue was fairly orderly but I was uncomfortable with the incursions on my personal space.

I was really disturbed by the window seat passenger presuming to climb over me to get to the aisle until I realized they thought they were being considerate enough not to make me get up to let them get out, or in.

When I went from the International to the domestic terminal (a quarter mile away across a field) I got my first glimpse of an "Asian queue". These people were all huddled together gently pushing their way to the front of a the huddle to check their luggage and get their bording passes. I had been passed off by my luggage handlers to a "facilitator" that offered to help with luggage and arrangements inside. He and his assistant took my luggage into the terminal, then took, me, my ticket and luggage around behind the counter and got it checked ahead of everybody else allowing me to avoid the huddle altogether.

They went and got me a Coke and showed me to a seat. Since that's all they could do for me, I offered them a $5. tip. That's a lot of money, 200 taka. (I've paid rickshaw riders 10 taka for a half hour ride. The exchange is 40 to 1.) They said it was too little and wanted $20 minimum. They didn't get it. A few months later, I was back making the same connection and there was no "facilitator" available. I had to negotiate the "huddle" myself with four pieces of luggage. Toward the final phase of the ordeal, a young man offered to assist with the luggage moving. Once he had my luggage in position to be next, he motioned me to hand my ticket to the agent. I reached through the 4 side by side people in front of me and handed my ticket to the agent, got my luggage tags and boarding pass and left the huddle. Nobody gave me a second look. I wasn't doing anything they weren't doing. It is just how it is done there.

This helper got five bucks and I thought it was a bargain. I would gladly have paid $25 to avoid the huddle but didn't have the option.

We have our sense of order and customs. Others have theirs. When in Rome...

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

I looked at the queues in China and felt like they were a free for all. Kind of like the people getting on a Southwest flight. Everyone for themselves. However, I was at a train station in a small city north of GZ (I think it was Yingde) and everyone was waiting in an orderly line for the one clerk to help them. Yes, there was some line cutting for friends, but US people do that too... Anyway, this guy looks at the line and just heads to the front, pushing the person actually working with the clerk out of the way! I started to get a little upset, and so I asked my wife if that was normal. She said no, that he was very rude, and probably because most of the line was women (and me, the 'giant' weiguo who probably didnt know any different). Anyway, those women AND the clerk let the guy have it and he went to the back of the line, the women railing on him the entire walk to the end of the line, which was at least 50 yards long. So rudeness is not always tolerated...

However, when you are boarding a train, especially on a holiday, it is truly a free for all, and having an assigned ticket doesnt mean opportunist isnt going to be in your seat attempting to avoid having to stand like it says on their ticket :P

I really think that is what it comes down to. China is a land of opportunists. Not all Chinese, but if a person sees an opening, they will take it by golly! Sometimes this is good and sometimes at another's expense. Whether it be in business, in traffic, or in a line. I know of a few million Americans who do the same thing. Opportunism is a selfish thing, but perfectly acceptable (perhaps grudgingly) in both cultures.

When I travel, I always remember I am the guest. I am also a de facto ambassador for my country, and I like to paint it in the best light I can. *shrug*

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

187375[/snapback]

187398[/snapback]

187455[/snapback]

I actually agree I rather miss the disorderliness, walking along side the masses, hailing taxi's, there always seem to be so many available, I have met some cab drivers that won't pick up an America without a Chinese, because most don't speak English. I haven't had any problems with the crowds unless they encroach on my wife. I have shown politeness at times and it is appreciated. I try not to get in a hurry, I visit a rather small/medium size city and stay away from the larger cities.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

187375[/snapback]

187398[/snapback]

187455[/snapback]

I actually agree I rather miss the disorderliness, walking along side the masses, hailing taxi's, there always seem to be so many available, I have met some cab drivers that won't pick up an America without a Chinese, because most don't speak English. I haven't had any problems with the crowds unless they encroach on my wife. I have shown politeness at times and it is appreciated. I try not to get in a hurry, I visit a rather small/medium size city and stay away from the larger cities.

187751[/snapback]

I agree about the small cities, but sometimes (at least where I was) you are THE foreigner in town. It is unnerving to have every eye staring at me when I walk down the street of my wife's hometown. Cars stop so the drivers can look. Its creepy, even if I know it is just curiosity. Noone but children and mototaxi drivers say anything. The kids all say "hallo!" and the mototaxi drivers will practice their English with "Hallo how are you. Nice day today!"

It got old a couple of days and I would pretend I didn't hear or that I was German (I studied German in school). Faking Deguoren is sometimes fun. :ph34r: :D Especially when my wife starts talking in Hakka knowing full well I have no idea what she is saying. :ph34r: Thats another story though hehe

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

187375[/snapback]

187398[/snapback]

187455[/snapback]

Forget everything you think you were culturally conditioned to do and act like.... forget the ego and leave it back in the US... forget truth and ethics, these are for Ph.Ds to write up in books for college... just explore this new world with eyes wide open... Then report back... :o

• 5 years later...
Well, I totally understand Mark62. I sometimes complain to my SO and his friends and family about several things that I saw on the street:

1. People spitting on the street and/or public places;

2. Cast garbage anywhere;

3. Cut lines;

4. Bad driving manner;

They all agree with me, and they can't stand these either.

153718[/snapback]

Well Bear, that sound like what I see sitting out on the porch in the evenings in Tennessee!

lol, you're so funny, my wife and I both like you a lot!

Wow this is an old thread for sure. It started nearly 6 years ago. I found in China that the people are sort of docile until you get on a train or a bus. There is a mad drive to get on a find a seat. Taking public tranportation system in China is not for the faint of heart.

Ps I wonder how Mark 62 is getting along with his wife?

Edited by natopronto (see edit history)

Incrdible

This thread is 6 yrs old and still alive

I defintely would love to hear an updtae from the orginator

Is he still active or on the list at least ?

China 6 yrs ago is different already from today

The young generation is better than the old farts in china

They are mor polite and culture