Priceline.com

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

With the airfares to China all going up lately, was wondering if anyone had experience with Priceline.com or other discounting services?

J & L

I tried Orbitz and everything was fine until there was a connection problem by one of the airlines. With language being a bit of a problem my choice was to wait 3 days for another US bound flight or make new arrangements.

Orbitz was more than happy to inform me upon my return that it was between me and the airlines and of course the airline involved was not too concerned.

I had considered priceline before, but decided against it. I would have to take whatever priceline come up, and that could mean many transfers and how long at each transfer point, and then get to the destination 12 hours later, all supremely pooped out. I much rather pay extra 200 bucks to know exactly what I am getting into. One time I did try to get one from priceline at $500 for roundtrip ticket and of course I could not get anything at such firesale price.

Getting a RT ticket from priceline may only save $100 and that's not worth the additional fatigue of getting there.

It is the busy season so prices are high now. Yet cheaper if you buy far ahead of time, (I'm looking at $1,057 DFW to PEK for November on United's website).

I did use CheapTickets.com for my May trip as it seemed United's web site would not give the flights I wanted. So found them at CheapTickets (on United!) and proceeded.

I would not recommend priceline!

You could get a flight with 3 stopovers and a 12 hour wait at each of them. You could also get an itinery that would take you north, east, south and west on the same trip!!! Thay can also get you into one airport in one city and leave from an airport at the other end of the same city!! :D :huh: :D

I would not recommend priceline!

You could get a flight with 3 stopovers and a 12 hour wait at each of them.  You could also get an itinery that would take you north, east, south and west on the same trip!!! Thay can also get you into one airport in one city and leave from an airport at the other end of the same city!! :redblob:  :redblob:  :redblob:

And you can't get the frequent milage points.

To me, you couldn't pay me to use Either Priceline or Orbitz. They are full of hassels, and, should they make a error and decide not to book you, they can hold your money in limbo for as much as 90 days. BS

I fould that by going directly with Delta, Both on the phone & going to the ticket counter, I got far better deals, the seats I wanted, theh service that I wanted, and at the price was looking for. (of course, I booked my flights 3 to 6 months in advanced.

GSO > ATL > LAX > CAN > NNG & then reverse all for right at $1,200.00 Not bad in my book, as I had a business class ticket & the Seats were extra comfortable, Private TV, Phone if I needed, & the meals were acceptable.

Just my input on the subject :redblob:

I think that if you go directly to the Airline the price is not that much different.Sometimes it is a lot more. Most of the time I have taken United and the price was only $30 to $50 more than Orbiz or the others but I think I got better seats and knew I would have one.Now I am flying Continental from Newark to Beijing in July for $1150 round trip. I will tell you all how that one is. I have taken many flights in China and found them very good. A good place to book hotels and flights in China is www.elong.com

that is in Chinese "Electronic Dragon," check it out...I book hotels all over China there.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Excellent info........no other place that we can all go to get this kind of feedback so quickly.

I've been looking at Northwest from Orlando to Hong Kong. I did find a price for 1087.09 yesterday, but you had to depart on a Friday and return on a Monday.....good deal now that my boss seems accepting of it.....

The only trouble with it, is a late arrival into hong kong......10:20pm I think...and two changes...one in Detroit, and the other in Hong Kong....not so bad tho, layovers are all less than one hour.

I looked at Continental in the last few weeks, who had a direct flight, but their far shot up again to over 1500.....changes every minute tho...

J & L

To me, you couldn't pay me to use Either Priceline or Orbitz. They are full of hassels, and, should they make a error and decide not to book you, they can hold your money in limbo for as much as 90 days. BS

I fould that by going directly with Delta, Both on the phone & going to the ticket counter, I got far better deals, the seats I wanted, theh service that I wanted, and at the price was looking for. (of course, I booked my flights 3 to 6 months in advanced.

GSO > ATL > LAX > CAN > NNG  & then reverse all for right at $1,200.00  Not bad in my book, as I had a business class ticket & the Seats were extra comfortable, Private TV, Phone if I needed, & the meals were acceptable.

Just my input on the subject :lol:

$1,200 for business calss??? roundtrip??? how did you manage that??

Trig, my dear trig.... :blink: It was fairly simple actually. When I booked the flight, I spoke to a Lady at delta reservations and had told her that I was looking for a far better way of service of a carrier than the one I had used previously for the same trip. I explained to her that the food was terrible, and if one wanted to sleep on the Craft, they had better use both the earplugs & some form of medication or get seriously drunk. & to me that just wasn't worth the price or the hassel.

I had also mentioned that I had used delta with my company many years ago & remembered many enjoyable flights, & the cost was reasonable too. So, if she could find a way for me to use their service, at the price I was willing to pay, and not a penny more, without sacraficing quality, I would fly with them in the future. But, after the first segment (going to Nanning) that if I found any part of the service unsatisfactory, I would demand a refund of the unused portion & go with another carrier. (not to mentioned I had told her about the Mrs there in Nanning being a Travel Agent & once I was there, if I had any problem, I was sure she could get me a better deal elsewhere :P )

& That my dear sheep Lovong friend, is how I did it :P