Choosing married name?

We have talked a little about this too. My wife's name is Hu Yi but she goes by Tina. So, I was a little surprised to find that Chinese wives keep their names (at least the ones I talked to did). So, when we married Hu Yi became....Hu Yi... :greenblob:

But I would like if she would change to Tina Huyi Becker when she comes to the USA. She is considering this.

As far as legality goes....in all LEGAL transactions she needs to use her LEGAL name. Especially with Immigration.

If she chooses to LEGALLY change her name then...same goes with that. I wouldn't take a chance on Yi using Tina unless she makes it LEGAL.

I gave Ying a choice about what to do about her name. She decided on her own to keep her given name (Ying), use her family name as her middle name (Jiang) and take my name as her last (Sharp), adopting the western custom.

I would be happy with whatever she chose because I married the womam, not the name.

Are there any sound legal reasons to be considered when SO is deciding which married name to use in America?  My SO is leaning toward keeping her Chinese name.  Would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.  Thanks

Legal reasons are not why this has been a hotly debated issue in the past.

Cultural reasons are the crux of the matter, IMHO.

Chinese women typically keep their maiden name, whereas American women typically don't.

In my case, the issue never came up. I knew it would dishonor her father for her to take my name. So it never was an issue for me.

Others have different views, opinions, and thoughts. Basically, it is up to you two to decide.

Edit: This really doesn't belong here anyway. FYI, should be in a different forum.

Edit: This really doesn't belong here anyway. FYI, should be in a different forum.

Give me a break. To get the most answers to the question one puts it in the most read forum.

The ladies visa will have her given name on it. Her US passport when the time arrives can have a different name on as the custom in this counrty is to adopt you husbands last name.

I am not politically correct. In China, my wife goes by Qiong Lan Huang. This is the Chinese custom. I do not have a problem with that. In the US of A, my wife will be know is Qiong Lan Mitizak. And in time her son will by Wei (?) Mitizak.

When in Rome one does as the Romans do.

Bruce

I just told Lu Jing that I love her name Lu Jing, and did not want her to change it to a western name. After all, I married a chinese, I am trying to learn chinese, so why have her change? Americans have to learn to adapt and speak respectfully of chinese and their given names...

Just my thought.

:unsure:

I think I am with the consensous with this one. Most likely Jennifer will be her name in social settings but unless she wants to change it, leaglely she will keep her given name. When I was there I showed her how her name would look using the name Jennifer followed by Family name then my family name. She really liked it and has even sent me some things with Jennifer on it so who knows. :unsure:

Give me a break. To get the most answers to the question one puts it in the most read forum.

Sorry newbie, it belongs in Culture & Immigration forum. It is in no way related to General Visa Discussion.

Sorry to be curt, but you asked for it.

Sorry newbie, it belongs in Culture & Immigration forum. It is in no way related to General Visa Discussion.

Stats,

Not wanting to cast aspersions in your direction, but unless Don or any of the other administrators say anything about this thread being in the forum, you should not either. Remember, at one time you was a newbie too.

Stats,

Not wanting to cast aspersions in your direction, but unless Don or any of the other administrators say anything about this thread being in the forum, you should not either. Remember, at one time you was a newbie too.

I guess you missed the "Sock Post"

I am a moderator at other forums, so sometimes it causes me to comment where I shouldn't.

Sorry for that, but a "post where most read" attitude isn't right. Sorry if you feel differently.

I guess you missed the "Sock  Post"

I am a moderator at other forums, so sometimes it causes me to comment where I shouldn't.

Sorry for that, but a "post where most read" attitude isn't right. Sorry if you feel differently.

I don't want to get into a peeing contest with you, but you may be a moderator at other forums, but you are not here.

Don't exceed your authority. If Don wants to move it he will, if he lets it stay..........LIVE WITH IT!!!!