Do you want your child to live in China?

I'm sure it's no problem for the child to live in China. If it's easy for the spouse, it must be easy for the child. If I had my babies here, I was told they would be automatically American, and if so I would just add them to my residence permit or get a tourist visa. If I were coming back later and it was with a job, I would again just get them added to my residence permit. Lots of people from all over the world live here with kids very easily.

We also plan to bring them back in a couple years or so. Jack can teach them Chinese and we can keep up contacts with other Chinese in the US, but for them to really learn the language and culture, as well as know the other side of their family, we really need to come back. Not to mention I'll go mad and need to see the world again after a few years in the US.

If anyone's interested, I've started doing a column (well, one time so far) for a new site, www.bilingualbabies.org. I don't have a lot to say yet of course, but the site is good and growing and expanding with resources, and can use the participation of others trying to raise bi (or multi) lingual and cultural babies in different parts of the world. Chinese speakers could even start a Chinese forum.

Interesting you should post this. My S.O. and I were recently kind of talking about the same subject. I think the answer is since the child is a US citizen, he or she can get a Visitor visa that is good for a 30 day visit.

I have looked into this, and since the parent is a chinese citizen, the child can easily get a visa which is good for 1 year, and renewable, ad inifiitum, for 1 year at a time, so long as the parent remains a chinese citizen (and does not get a US passport/citizenship).

Please correct me though if the rules have recently changed (which I suspect they may any day).

We have talked about this a little in case we have children. We both feel at least the early schooling should be in China. We are hoping to set up a lifestyle that will allow us to live on both sides of the Ocean.

A bilingual family gives a child a great development boost. Multi language ability is important in the global society of today. I suspect the child will have the two most important languages in the world of 20025. Now how do I encourage learning Spanish?

Hi,all! With our first child coming in the end of Sep, 2005..I start to wonder how to teach him/her Chinese. Does anyone here have the same experience? Actually with him/her born in the U.S. as a U.S. citizen, I do not know how long the child is allowed to stay in China. I want him/her to spend some years in China.

we have a 5 months old baby and we are going to send him to China living with my parents for about 1 year,We are going to leave here at end of March We think its good for him to listen and learn alittle bit Chinese,Of course I will teach him Chinese when he is back here anyway,

He could get 6 months tourist visa and the visa could be easily extended by the local government if ifs expired.