Having kids, and Chinese Traditions

My S.O. and I were talking about kids and how they are raised. In particular in the US, the parents are pretty much on thier own (maybe they do get some family help, if they are close by). However, in China the grandmother / grandparents typically cares for the kids.

I wonder how other couples have figured out how to solve this particular challenge.

kids have tradition in America?  :huh:

robert

Oh yes, rebelling against thier parents for one. Annoying their parents for another. Oh and trying to shock their elders every chance they get.

With you on that Carl.. how about adding the tradition of playstations, xbox, pcs et al. That replaces small things like homework, and housework.

:)

kids have tradition in America?  :)

robert

Oh yes, rebelling against thier parents for one. Annoying their parents for another. Oh and trying to shock their elders every chance they get.

I'll bet you never did this huh Carl?? Having 6 kids myself I can only say WTF was I thinking. My oldest is 38 now-youngest is 11 and my new stepdaughter is 15. It seems i have either been or raised a teenager all my life--no small feet aw i ahven't even lived all my life yet.

The only real nice thing to come out of it is that my 38 year old has two teens of her own now. when she asks for help i simply smile and say "payback-ain't it a bitch"

Buwhahahahah!!!!

We have a saying about some of our kids here in America

Hire a teenager while they still know it all.....

I believe it was Mark Twain who said "When I was 14 I couldn't believe how incredibly stupid my parents were. When I was 21 I was amazed at how much they had learned in only 7 years."

• 2 weeks later...

American kids are rebellious but lovely because of their passions and characters . It takes time to understand them but like any teen around the world they would cry to your shoulders when the time comes .

It is a great chinese invention to have grannies taking care of the child so parents can concentrate on money/work/themselves while the kids are learning the family culture : story telling / language / morals / food /etc...

So if you have the opportunity really send your kids to China while they are small and they will thank you all their lifes ( after asking you for numerous pocket money to go to see so and so ) ...

We are planning on asking my SO's mother to come and stay with us for a few months every year to assist in the raising. We are going to attempt to get the best of both worlds--American and Chinese. My parents are within a few hours of us--Monterey at the moment and are going to be retiring to a new house in Lake Tahoe that they are building, so they will be true "weekend warriors"...and besides, I have to let them have the opportunity to spoil my kids to get under my skin (a.k.a. "paybacks a bitch!")

So..we shall see. I will post in five years or so and let ya'll know.

Damn Trigg! Did you say SIX KIDS!!!

My S.O. and I were talking about kids and how they are raised. In particular in the US, the parents are pretty much on thier own (maybe they do get some family help, if they are close by). However, in China the grandmother / grandparents typically cares for the kids.

I wonder how other couples have figured out how to solve this particular challenge.

For us, the solution was simple. My step daughter and her lao gong will live in the basement apartment after the baby is born - they'll get the family discount of course. Jingwen will be at home, so I can guarantee you she'll be in constant attendance.

So, in answer to your question. Grandma (I still can't imagine Jingwen as a grandmother) will help take care of the baby. She's already instructing KK on what to eat, etc., but this is another subject - amazing how "old wives' tales" still dictate the pre-natal period. I can only imagine what will happen after the baby is born, but it should be interesting. Also, I'm looking forward to a tri-lingual grand child - Chinese, English, and Spanish.

Poor kid. He/she doesn't stand a chance. :redblob: