My mother-in-law received her second B-2 last week by using the visa drop off service - it was a very quick and efficient process. She did not submit any financial or property ownership documentation with her application this time, just the minimum requirements - Passport, DS-160 confirmation page, 1 passport sized photo, receipt for visa fee payment, plus an invitation letter from me. Her passport was received by Guangzhou and the visa was approved and sent back very quickly - her time line was as follows:

Monday: Dropped off passport & visa materials at a CITIC bank branch in Xiamen

Wednesday: Visa approved/issued by Guangzhou Consulate

Thursday: MIL received a text message from GUZ stating that her visa had been approved & was being mailed back to her

Friday: Passport/visa delivered via EMS in Xiamen

All in all, you could not have asked for better service.

Wow that is really quick. So how much time do they allow from issuance of visa until coming for the visit?

A B-2 is valid for 12 months after issued.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9015

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really heard about this angle: Started on a CR-1 visa, but realized that we'll be in China for another two years. However, we need to go back to the US to attend a family event this coming November (parents' anniversary coinciding with our wedding reception). Should I stop the CR-1 process altogether and begin again for the B-2 visa? Or will canceling the CR-1 ruin our chances for the B-2?

Thanks!

If you are planning a couple of additional trips to the U.S. anyway, the CR-1 MIGHT be the best way to go - IF you can establish a U.S. domicile. Upon her first arrival in the U.S., be sure to get her an S.S. card, U.S.-issued I.D., anything you can to be able to show at the POE that she intends to LIVE in the U.S. 2 years might be stretching that a little, though.

If you don't plan any other trips, then yes, canceling the CR-1 might be wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am attempting to bring my wife's daughter to California during her spring festival break from graduate college. I am aware that her being granted a B2 Visa is a very long shot, but I'll give it a shot. I've read here about the various credible items needed to prove her attachment to China.

Here's where I need some advise;

I am completing the DS-160 form online for her and have answered all the questions in English except where her name in Mandarin characters is required. I have uploaded her photo and will indicate that I have completed the form for her.

1) Is completing the form in English for her acceptable?

2) Should she go online and complete the final steps by submitting the form and getting the confirmation page or should I do this and mail her the confirmation page?

3) When does she request an interview appointment?

I will appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

The biggest obstacle is convincing the VO that she will return to China. Perhaps emphasize her returning to college. Class schedule for next term. transcripts, her plan for obtaining a degree and career plans after college.

By the way .... beautiful guitar!

Yep. I am going to emphasize her graduate studies and pre-payment for courses though the end of the spring semester. She also owns her own home. I doubt if that's enough but I want to try for my wife's peace of mind.

Can you help me with the DS-160 process as mentioned in my post?

Thanks and good luck with the completion of your guitar!

The biggest obstacle is convincing the VO that she will return to China. Perhaps emphasize her returning to college. Class schedule for next term. transcripts, her plan for obtaining a degree and career plans after college.

By the way .... beautiful guitar!

Yep. I am going to emphasize her graduate studies and pre-payment for courses though the end of the spring semester. She also owns her own home. I doubt if that's enough but I want to try for my wife's peace of mind.

Can you help me with the DS-160 process as mentioned in my post?

Thanks and good luck with the completion of your guitar!

There is a recent topic here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44999-ds-160/

English is acceptable. If she can complete the form herself, that is good. If you are unable to enter the Chinese characters, i see there's a check box for 'Technology not available'.

If you complete the form yourself, you can send the confirmation letter to her by email.

Thanks for all the help!

I have another question;

While filling out the form, it asks my relation to my step daughter and there is no choice for step father so I chose "OTHER". The choices were "PARENT, SPOUSE, OTHER RELATIVE, FRIEND, OTHER"

Do you think this is the most appropriate choice?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been working on the "online" DS-160 for my mother-in-law. Can I submit it for her? Or does she need to submit from her home? How long from submittal until the visa interview? I saw that someone used a visa drop box. Is that all over China or only in certain cities? And can it be used for the first time submittal?

Thanks