Tim, we have a similar issue except my husband and I live in China and would like to be able to freely travel to the States without committing to living there long term (yet). Coincidentally, I also lived in Austin for many years and am a UT graduate. :D

I am not overly optimistic about our chances of getting my husband a visitor's visa (my husband is 37, no living parents, a musician without a "set" job, and we don't own property here), but I do think if your fiancee has the chance to travel abroad to other countries besides the USA that will help. I teach at a high school here and one of our students was having trouble getting approved for his visa to go to university in America and one thing he did to combat the problem was go visit Korea for two weeks. As far as I know, with that Korea trip on his record he was finally approved for his (student) visa.

Having a large amount of money in the bank certainly won't hurt either, but I don't think you can just transfer funds and call the money hers and apply the next day. I think the money has to have been in her account for awhile to be considered "her" money. Again, this is mostly what I hear from my students, all of whom go abroad for university so they are pretty familiar with non-immigrant visas (although student visas are a bit different from travel visas, they do require the holder to prove that he/she has ties to China and will return after graduating).

• 1 month later...

We are getting ready to apply for tourist visa for my wife's parents. My wife is not employed so payment for their travels and funds while here will be based on my income.

I've read through entire post here, but still have the following questions:

1/ Should my wife or I be listed as sponsor and US contact for the application? I'm guessing it would be me if I'm the one demonstrating funds to support them while here...?

2/ If I am listed as sponsor, how should I answer the question about my relationship to them? There is no choice for "son-in-law". The only seemingly applicable choices would be either "child" or "other relative".

3/ The application asks for "Organization Name" under the sponsor's contact information. Should this be my employer? Or N/A.

Thanks much!

• 3 weeks later...

The State Department came out with an new application replacing DS-156 and DS-157. The new application is DS-160 and it needs to be completed online. And I believe they are no longer accepting DS-156 and DS-157 after 3/1/2010.

I did DS-160 for my in-laws last week. HORRIBLE experience. Just remember to save every single page before moving on to the next page. The system will timeout randomly (even though it says it will wait 20 minutes before timing you out) and if you did not save, you get to start over again.

• 2 weeks later...

We're about to start the process, too. These comments have been a great help, but I wonder how/if things will change drastically now because of the on-line I-160...

Anyone with experiences care to share?

Thanks!

Kevin

The State Department came out with an new application replacing DS-156 and DS-157. The new application is DS-160 and it needs to be completed online. And I believe they are no longer accepting DS-156 and DS-157 after 3/1/2010.

I did DS-160 for my in-laws last week. HORRIBLE experience. Just remember to save every single page before moving on to the next page. The system will timeout randomly (even though it says it will wait 20 minutes before timing you out) and if you did not save, you get to start over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Both in-laws got their B-2s yesterday. They said it was very easy for them. The VO asked only 3 questions while spend most of the time typing away on his PC. The 3 questions are: 1) are you still working? 2) what's your retirement income (to my Mother-in-law) and 3) show me your property ownership document.

The VO didn't ask for ANY of the materials we prepared (i.e. invitation letter, finanical documents, photos, etc.). In fact, the only thing he asked to see is the property ownership document. He didn't even ask to see any proof for the other 2 questions he had asked. The in-laws joked to me that the VO seemed in a hurry to go to lunch :lol:

So, if anything, try to schedule an interview before lunch :lol: (

Anyway, the in-laws said it was a good expereience. And more importantly, the wife is very happy. :lol:

We're about to start the process, too. These comments have been a great help, but I wonder how/if things will change drastically now because of the on-line I-160...

Anyone with experiences care to share?

Thanks!

Kevin

{edit} fixed quote tags Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My wife's folks just passed their interview for tourist visa today in GZ following the new electronic process. It was very quick and straigh forward. We made the on-line application and scheduled the appointment less than 4 weeks ago.

Now I'm curious, what is the latest status quo on how much time they are granted for their stay upon reaching the POE. Anyone with late breaking experience? I've heard 6 months is the max to expect - is this correct? Anything more? Can 6 months be expected?

Thanks

More here: http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/vi...tion-form2.html
  • 1 month later...

Congrats. LP and I are about to start this process, too. We've done the DS-160s for both her parents, and they've actually book the appointment for early August in Beijing. My wife and daughter are over in China now visiting - and I'm heading over in two weeks for my summer holiday.

How important of a role do you think the I-134 played in their being granted a VISA? That's my major question...

Thanks...

• 1 month later...

What supporting documents in addition to DS-160 does one have to prepare? We are in the process to have my mother in law to come over for a visit.

Thanks.

Congrats. LP and I are about to start this process, too. We've done the DS-160s for both her parents, and they've actually book the appointment for early August in Beijing. My wife and daughter are over in China now visiting - and I'm heading over in two weeks for my summer holiday.

How important of a role do you think the I-134 played in their being granted a VISA? That's my major question...

Thanks...

What supporting documents in addition to DS-160 does one have to prepare? We are in the process to have my mother in law to come over for a visit.

Thanks.

Thanks...

Post one in this thread pretty much covers it, except DS-160 has replaced DS-156/157

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=92107

As for I-134.

Attach copy of past years IRS Transcript or return, and perhaps employer letter, and recent pay stubs, to show current and future income.

The I-134 just shows that visitor has someone in the USA willing to provide support in the event that support may be needed.

Docs to attach

Tine,

What is the format of 12.Notarial Certificate of relationship (ֱϵÇ×Êô¹Øϵ¹«Ö¤Êé)? Thanks.

Jing

Hello all,

My mother-in-law received the 1 year visitors visa last friday. No problems during the interview in Shanghai, she was asked about 6-7 questions and received the visa the same day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the list of things that needs to be completed.

List (Ŀ¼)

PART I - INVITEE (µÚÒ»²¿·Ö) (±»ÑûÇëÈË)

1. Passport (»¤ÕÕ, Ô­¼þ)

2. DS 156 Form (DS156±í, Ô­¼þ, ÖÐÓ¢Îĸ÷Ò»·Ý)

3. DS 157 Form (DS157±í, Ô­¼þ, ÖÐÓ¢Îĸ÷Ò»·Ý)

4. Receipt of Visa Application Fee (ÖÐÐÅÒøÐеÄÇ©Ö¤·ÑÊÕ¾Ý, Ô­¼þ)

5. Resident Booklet (»¤¿Ú±¾)

6. National Identification Cards (Éí·ÝÖ¤)

7. Evidences of Properties¡¯ ownership (·¿²úÖ¤Ã÷)

8. Evidences of Bank Saving (ÒøÐдæ¿îÖ¤Ã÷)

9. Retiree¡¯s card and Certificate of pension (ÍËÐÝÖ¤ºÍÍËÐݽðÖ¤Ã÷)

10. Verification of Son¡¯s Employment

(¶ù×ӵŤ×÷Ö¤Ã÷)

11. Copies of National ID of Son (¶ù×ÓÉí·ÝÖ¤¸´Ó¡¼þ)

12. Family Photos (¼ÒÍ¥ÕÕƬ)

13. Letter of Dad¡¯s Employment(°Ö°Ö¹«Ë¾µÄ¾­¼ÃºÍ¹ÍÓÃÖ¤Ã÷ÐÅ)

PART II ( µÚ¶þ²¿·Ö ) - INVITER ( ÑûÇëÈË )

1. Invitation Letter (English & Chinese) (ÑûÇ뺯ÖÐÓ¢Îĸ÷Ò»·Ý)

2. Affidavit of Support I-134 Form (¾­¼Ãµ£±£Ö¤Ã÷ I-134±í)

3. Ella¡¯s I-94 copy (Å®¶ùµÄÈë¾³¿¨)

4. Copy of Income Tax Return 2003 (2003Äê¸öÈËÊÕÈëÄÉË°±í¸´Ó¡¼þ)

5. Copies of Ella & Tine¡¯s passport (Å®¶ùºÍÅ®ÐöµÄ»¤ÕÕ¸´Ó¡¼þ)

6. Copy of Ella¡¯s Visa (Å®¶ùµ½ÃÀ¹úµÄÇ©Ö¤¸´Ó¡¼þ)

7. Copies of Daughter & Granddaughter¡¯s Green Card, SSN (Å®¶ùºÍÍâËïÅ®µÄÂÌ¿¨¡¢Éç°²ºÅ¸´Ó¡¼þ)

8. Copy of Driver License: Son-In-Law and Daughter (Å®ÐöºÍÅ®¶ùµÄ¼ÝÕÕ¸´Ó¡¼þ)

9. Copy of Marriage License (½á»éÖ¤¸´Ó¡¼þ)

10.Letter of Tine¡¯s Employment (Tine¹«Ë¾µÄ¾­¼ÃºÍ¹ÍÓÃÖ¤Ã÷ÐÅ)

11.Photos (¼ÒÍ¥ÕÕƬ)

12.Notarial Certificate of relationship (ֱϵÇ×Êô¹Øϵ¹«Ö¤Êé)

13.Letter for VO. (Ó¢ÎÄÐź¯Ò»·Ý¸øÇ©Ö¤¹Ù)

Tine,

What is the format of 12.Notarial Certificate of relationship (ֱϵÇ×Êô¹Øϵ¹«Ö¤Êé)? Thanks.

Jing

"Birth Cert" Son/Daughter's birth cert shows relationship to parents.

This is a document that was needed for your CR-1/IR-1 or K-Visa.

Birth Certificates

Available in the form of notarial certificates, which are secondary evidence. Notarial certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Gong Zheng Shu or Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu) for persons living in or recently departed from China are generally reliable, but are best used in conjunction with other evidence. They are most often based upon an AHHR, (Household Record) which is easily susceptible to fraud, especially in villages. Notarial birth certificates for persons long departed from China are most likely based merely upon the testimony of interested parties.

While some notarial birth certificates will list stepparents or adoptive parents along with natural parents, this is not always the case. In some cases, the certificates will list only the natural parents, covering up an adoption.

Some applicants will present notarial certificates of relationship (Guan Xi Gong Zheng [or Zheng Ming] Shu) in lieu of notarial birth certificates. These certificates of relationship are unreliable and tend to be based solely upon the testimony of interested parties. Notarial birth certificates should be required. Care should be taken with any certificate that lists step relationships. These relationships are as of the date of issuance of the certificate only. Marriage certificates should also be required.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3537

We just had a baby, and we also just filled out the DS-160 online to bring my wife's mother over here. It timed out on me twice, and I also found out that the save function does not work on a Mac computer, so I had to do it very quickly the 3rd time, but it did go through.

My question is related to what reason we should use. I've been told that saying the mother is coming over to help out is a no-no. Of course she's coming over to visit her daughter and new grandson, and my wife misses her mom now, and cannot go back to visit for awhile. Should we basically avoid saying that she's going to "help out"? I'm not even sure that she will, just trying to get an idea of what the consulate frowns on.

Also, is an I-134 necessary? Or can we just provide copies of our tax returns and employment letter and pay stubs?

Thanks!