How does one make an appointment with Beijing Embassy? If my mother were to make one today, when would be the actual interview? I'd like her to go to Beijing in October when it is not too hot.

The Embassy website has the answers for you.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_howtoapply.html

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_appointment.html

One more question. Does my mother need Certificate of relationship (Ç×Êô¹Øϵ֤Ã÷)? If so, where can she get it? And. does it need to be notarized?

Thanks.

Cert of relationship should not be needed for just a visitor's visa, however if She were to get one it comes from the Notary Office, and can get a translation there also.

On the invitation letter, should I mention that the purpose of my mother's visit is to take care of the upcoming baby? A friend told me not to do this because the US tries to protect the employment opportunity for Americans.

I don't think the consulate cares about jobs for Americans. They are more concerned with whether or not your mother will return to China. I would word it differently. I would say your mother wants to be there for the birth of her grandchild. By saying the purpose of the visit is to take care of the baby it may be interpreted as staying indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

I have successfully made an interview appointment for my mother. I have a couple of questions?

First, where is the most convenient CITIC bank (ÖÐÐÅÒøÐÐ) in Beijing that is near the US Embassy?

Second, all she needs is the appointment number?

Third, how long does she have to wait to get her visa if the interview is successful?

Thanks for your help.

I have successfully made an interview appointment for my mother. I have a couple of questions?

First, where is the most convenient CITIC bank (ÖÐÐÅÒøÐÐ) in Beijing that is near the US Embassy?

Second, all she needs is the appointment number?

Third, how long does she have to wait to get her visa if the interview is successful?

Thanks for your help.

The list of CITIC locations collecting US visa application fees:

http://www.ecitic.com/bank/personal/chuguo/50.htm

I'm not a resident of Beijing and only know enough to get around, so don't quote me on this :) the CITIC location closest to the Embassy is probably at Nong Zhang Guan Nan Li #12 (Å©Õ¹¹ÝÄÏÀï12ºÅ£¬Í¨¹ã´óÏÃ1Â¥). It is near Exit B of Subway Line 10 Tuanjiehu Station (µØÌú10ºÅÏßÍŽáºþÕ¾£¬¶«±±³ö¿ÚÒ²¾ÍÊÇB³ö¿Ú).

The subway station closest to the Embassy is Line 10 Liang Ma Qiao Station (10ºÅÏßÁÁÂíÇÅÕ¾). Once you get out from Exit B (again it is the northeast exit), walk along Liang Ma Qiao Road toward the east for 300-400 meters, past the German School, turn left at the first traffic light onto Tian Ze Road (ÌìÔó·), then another 300 meters toward the north, you will find the US Embassy on the left side of the street.

If you take a taxi to the US Embassy, make sure the driver knows the "new" location (the move had happened last summer but to my surprise the taxi driver thought I was going to Xiu Shui ÐãË® when I went there in June). They all know about the Lufthansa Center as well as Nu Ren Jie, just tell the driver it is near ÑàɯÉÌ³Ç and Å®È˽Ö, the driver will understand.

The appointment number isn't important. The security staff has a list of all appointments, they will check your mom's passport against the list. Arrive 30 minutes before the appointment time - for example, for 10AM appointment they will start letting people in around 9:30AM.

It usually takes two days for the visa to be issued. The post office handling this matter used to be right across the street, but the building was torn down in June 2009. For now you need to visit the Jian Guo Men Post Office (½¨¹úÃÅÓÊÕþÖ§¾Ö) to pay for the pickup (21RMB) or delivery (32RMB if delivered to a Beijing address, may be higher for other cities). The Embassy will give you a map. If you take subway Line 1, get off at Jian Guo Men Station, and take the northeast exit (µØÌú1ºÅÏß½¨¹úÃÅÕ¾¶«±±³ö¿Ú), walk about 300 meters toward the north and you will find it.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I need someone to tell me if I'm crazy here. My fiancee and I are imagining a future in which we can travel back and forth once a year or so between the States and China. At this point I've been to see her twice, and will go twice again in 2010. We're both in our 50s and she is retired (I will retire in two years).

The more I read about getting visitor visas and the difficulties therein, the more this seems a pipedream. So, any guidance would be appreciated.

First, I'd like to get her over here to visit me before we marry (no particular reason, I'd just like her to come here once instead of my going there every time). At this point we do *not* intend for her to immigrate (that might change later).

Specifics info on her:

employment: retired 2 years ago

family: one son, university student in Japan

two sisters

both parents still living (same city as her and one sister)

parents are self-sufficient financially, as is son (working to pay his way through college)

financials: small pension from government (1200rmb/month)

bank account: I don't know how much is in there, I doubt much is

property: owns free and clear a small apartment in Liaoning Province

How could we possibly ever convince the US gov't that she would return to China after a two-week visit to see me? What might help? If we put more money into her account, does that help? If I get her to go to Japan to visit her son and she returns without violating her visa there, does that help? Of the things I've seen mentioned that work to establish sufficient ties to China, these are the two I see we can maybe manipulate. We don't want to be untruthful by saying our relationship is less than it is, but again, this is *not* an immigration issue -- she wants to come as a visitor and then go back.

thanks for any and all suggestions/experiences. I'm beginning to lose hope here -- and I haven't even started the process! And I'm sad to say it's my government that's the problem...