A little hope it will become easier. Obama announced a new effort to reduce visa restrictions:

http://bottomline.ms...american-hotels

The administration's goal of reducing visa wait times to 21 days from months will open up the floodgates, she predicted.

This may actually be related to the slowdown at CSC.

http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4194

• 2 weeks later...

A little hope it will become easier. Obama announced a new effort to reduce visa restrictions:

http://bottomline.ms...american-hotels

Possibly. Though I have the feeling it would be of less help to us and more help to places that were already likely to be approved. After all, the article goes on at length about reducing wait times but says absolutely nothing about improving approval rates. Doesn't matter if you get the answer quickly if it is still almost automatically "no", right?

I don't know what exactly happened earlier today, but my mother-in-law had her B2 interview and she passed after about 2mins. The ONLY thing that was asked for was my wife's greencard. My MIL passed over the stack of supporting papers that I sent over and he didn't even pull out the greencard scan, just looked through the stack and passed it back. They took her passport and sent her on her way. I really expected to be rejected ( based on most experiences on this site and others ). We are certainly glad, but I thought she would be grilled. Has anyone else had a family member with recent experience? Oh, the interview was at Chengdu.

I don't know what exactly happened earlier today, but my mother-in-law had her B2 interview and she passed after about 2mins. The ONLY thing that was asked for was my wife's greencard. My MIL passed over the stack of supporting papers that I sent over and he didn't even pull out the greencard scan, just looked through the stack and passed it back. They took her passport and sent her on her way. I really expected to be rejected ( based on most experiences on this site and others ). We are certainly glad, but I thought she would be grilled. Has anyone else had a family member with recent experience? Oh, the interview was at Chengdu.

Congra. I am starting the process for my parents' B2 visa. The interview will also be in Chengdu. Could you share your MIL's experience? Much appreciated.

Ihave not posted for quite a while, going to try for mother in law again, how big of a deal is it if parents don't have outher children living in china, as some had only one . and how about if they are retired, I know it is best to try for one not both on the first try. Have things got a little easier getting parents here, or are they still a pain, in Chendu, any new helpful thoughts are welcome. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone has seen the Consulate in Shenyang info, but it is contradictory as it lists to pay the fee at step 2 but when you go into Step 1 it says you must of already paid the fee:

DS-160 (NEW)

Starting March 1, 2010, the U.S. Consulate Shenyang will require all applicants to use the new DS-160 online application form. If you wish to use the form now, please click the link below.

Please follow the following instructions when applying for a non-immigrant visa at the US Consulate Shenyang:

And i assume that the explanation on using the Visa Call Center is still how it's done?

The Visa Information Call Center is a user pays service. Before contacting the Call Center please obtain a PIN number either from a participating branch of CITIC Industrial Bank or from the Call Center website, using a debit/credit card. A 12-minute PIN card costs 54 RMB and an 8-minute PIN cards costs 36 RMB.

The Visa Information Call Center can be reached by dialing 4008-872-333 (toll free) or (021) 3881-4611 (Shanghai local phone number) from within China, or internationally by dialing 86-21-3881-4611 (local Shanghai number).

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

Another item which caught my eye was this:

Applicants can now also make their appointment at any China post, regardless of geographic district.

Has anyone tried to setup an appt through China post?

Uh, I think they mean at any American consulate - that it's not limited by jurisdictional region anymore

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost in shock. Our 24 year old niece was approved for a B-2 visa yesterday in Shanghai! I figured approval chances were worse than a snowballs slow flight through Hades (especially without either her mother or grandfather accompanying her). She is a student (2nd year of a Masters degree) without any assets, siblings or job- fully dependent on her parents. Other than school there's not many ties to the community to ensure her return to CN. Copy of my cover letter follows.

33 Main St.

Anywhere, USA 01110

March 15, 2012 Re: Tourist visa issuance for Ms. Ff Ffff

I have invited my niece (Ffff) to visit us in the U.S. as a reward for completing her bachelor degree at Shanghai University (July 2011) and being accepted into the Master’s program. I hope she can visit for a period of about 60 days during her summer break from university. All expenses will be provided for her trip by us including her RETURN TRIP to China.

The purpose of this visa is solely as a TEMPORARY tourist visa and I state that UNEQUIVOCALLY it is NOT an attempt to immigrate to this country.

I (Xxxxxx) regretfully, was unable to fly there for her graduation activities last year as I was undergoing vast amounts of medical tests for liver cancer. Diagnosis, while not cancer, was several hemangiomas on my liver and kidney stones. Long air flights are out of the question.

Originally, we wanted Ffff's grandfather (Hh Hhhh- that already visited the US in 2006) or Fffff's mother (Hh Gggg) to accompany her to the U.S. (Both have solid financial ties to China). Unfortunately, her grandmother now has advanced Alzheimer's disease. Ffff's mother took an early retirement from her Government job to assist her father (Ffff's Grandfather) as joint caregivers and cannot leave China at this time. I understand that the visa applicant must establish ties to their home country so they will not overstay their visa and return home.

As she is a student she may not have a great amount of assets but her mother (Hf Gggg) and father own their own home in Shanghai. They are Ffff's source of both familial and sole financial support. Additionally, her ties to China include her total dedication in obtaining her Master’s degree. Ffff will be returning after her visit to resume her studies. She is already enrolled in the next semester. She has extremely strong family ties to her parents and maternal grandparents (especially her sick grandmother). She has other social commitments that she intends to keep such as afterhours calligraphy classes that she has been doing for 11 years.

I have sent her various documents establishing the relationship of her being our niece, some documents that show our financial status is able to cover her trip.

I can be contacted by email at anybody@yahoo.com or 800-111-1111

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your consideration!

I made out I-134's for both my wife and I and attached COPIES of tax returns, W-2 and 1099's, year end pay statements

Copies off the internet of both my and my wife's bank and stock acct's.

Copy of wife's US passport & Natrualization cert. Birth cert. (to tie my wife to her sister (by common parents) and thereby the niece)

Copy of the "Family Composition" form submitted to Gz. for the wife listing both her sister and niece

Copy of her grandparents B-2 Visas from when they visited in 2006 Pictures of me, wife and niece at several different functions

I had my wife label the various papers in Chinese.

Lastly (but IMPORTANTLY), a few nights before the interview, my wife conducted a simulated interview by videochat. When asked "would you like to move to the US?" the niece was sloooow to respond- "maybe later". She got schooled in being polite but quick, decisive and firm.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Edited by CR1togo (see edit history)

1. Passport (护照, 原件)

2. DS 156 Form (DS156表, 原件, 中英文各一份)

3. DS 157 Form (DS157表, 原件, 中英文各一份)

4. Receipt of Visa Application Fee (中信银行的签证费收据, 原件)

5. Resident Booklet (护口本)

6. National Identification Cards (身份证)

7. Evidences of Properties’ ownership (房产证明)

8. Evidences of Bank Saving (银行存款证明)

9. Retiree’s card and Certificate of pension (退休证和退休金证明)

10. Verification of Son’s Employment

(儿子的工作证明)

11. Copies of National ID of Son (儿子身份证复印件)

12. Family Photos (家庭照片)

13. Letter of Dad’s Employment(爸爸公司的经济和雇用证明信)

I can't recall throughout all these pages if anyone has stated it... but do the above require to be English translations ?

1. Passport (护照, 原件)

2. DS 156 Form (DS156表, 原件, 中英文各一份)

3. DS 157 Form (DS157表, 原件, 中英文各一份)

4. Receipt of Visa Application Fee (中信银行的签证费收据, 原件)

5. Resident Booklet (护口本)

6. National Identification Cards (身份证)

7. Evidences of Properties’ ownership (房产证明)

8. Evidences of Bank Saving (银行存款证明)

9. Retiree’s card and Certificate of pension (退休证和退休金证明)

10. Verification of Son’s Employment

(儿子的工作证明)

11. Copies of National ID of Son (儿子身份证复印件)

12. Family Photos (家庭照片)

13. Letter of Dad’s Employment(爸爸公司的经济和雇用证明信)

I can't recall throughout all these pages if anyone has stated it... but do the above require to be English translations ?

Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (non-white book item, such as a relationship letter):

Telephone:

E-mail:

Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

Signature of Translator

Date of Translation

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

So, are people who have provided the above to the consulate, Property ownership, retirement pension, etc... you brought something in english using a letter of atttestation?

---

Second: Has anyone heard of someone who is a policeman having any trouble to get a visitor visa? Very basic worker, nothing high in rank or job importance.