The problem with chinese restaurants is they often want to exploit new Chinese people by having them work under the table for less than minimum wage or offer them what sounds like an ok salary until you find out they want them to work 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Hotels aren't too bad. Often they need maids and not a lot of english is required for the job. Best option is to get her into ESL classes to improve her english and improve her job prospects at the same time.

Guest DragonFlower

I agree with Carl,it would be a good idea to stay away from Chinese restaraunts.Many of the waitress's there are "undocumented".

I have some friends in this situation.The girls are exploited because they have no recourse.Most I know,only work for tips,sometimes the BOSS wants his cut of that too.When someone legal hires on,they still get the same treatment.Plus no taxes witheld,no work-comp.Only restaraunts I would consider would be little mom and pops run by legals that you check a background on.

I see asians at Walmart and large groceries quite often.

A lot of the fingernail places have asians,but you must know enough English to pass the State test.

A good idea would be to have your SO study English,tell her it will be a strong foundation for her future life here.

long

Out here in the boonocks of TN. Englsih clsses are rare. Even after we found ESL for my wife, she didn't want to go. Soooooo, we found Chinese TV on the satelite and low and behold--Walaaaa a Chinese station that teaches Englsih eevery motning from 9:00-10:00.

Only problem now is that I can't get her to shutup!!!!

Thanks on the info on Chinese restaurants, I had suggested that to my wife as possible employment whan she got here. Should she decide to work there I will make sure she is not exploited, because I will take her to the local wage-labor board to file a complaint if they do. We also have a super Wal-Mart where my mother works and I work part time at after I get off my regular job.

We probably could live on my pay, but she wants to be able to send money back to China to take care of her son who will be staying with her parents while we are setting up our household for him. So she wants to work to contribute her fair share.

Eventually she wants to set up her own business, possibly selling costume and handmade jewelry at fairs or possibly on-line

Thanks on the info on Chinese restaurants, I had suggested that to my wife as possible employment whan she got here.  Should she decide to work there I will make sure she is not exploited, because I will take her to the local wage-labor board to file a complaint if they do.  We also have a super Wal-Mart where my mother works and I work part time at after I get off my regular job.

We probably could live on my pay, but she wants to be able to send money back to China to take care of her son who will be staying with her parents while we are setting up our household for him.  So she wants to work to contribute her fair share.

Eventually she wants to set up her own business, possibly selling costume and handmade jewelry at fairs or possibly on-line

My wife wass in the jewlery buisiness in China. She has the same ideas. We must have 100 pieces of Jade around the house. The problem is most americans can't tell good Jade from green plastic so they stay away from it.

Like most Chinese wive's, she too wants to work. We domn't need the money but she wants to 'contribute' to the family. She always seems to get out of work by saying if she works, "husband have to do homework' --ain't gonna happen.

Guest DragonFlower

Yes,my wife would like to work also.She has worked all her life and she feels the need to be a contributing part.We have also thought about the online end of things.Perhaps find something to import and sell.In China she is a licensed beautician but would have to take the tests here to get a state license.Thus would need a good command of English,the test are only given in English,here in Ohio.

All this waiting is at least giving us plenty of time to prepare.I have talked to the Ohio Board of Cosmetology several times already.Also when I am there we keep an eye out for things that would sell good here.

long

Walmart is the best way to go on jobs, they pay fairly well, have stock options, and insurance. most can hire full or part time to fit your time. and most walmart know how to deal with green cards. plus there the discount the employees get too shopping there. All the superstores are open 24/7 so very flexable on hours to work. And most walmarts have scholarships for employees family and the ability to advance up into the company.

And no I never work for Walmart but has friends and a family member that does. and most of them are happy

Robert

I think if possible, start some type of business. My wife is an accountant, but after studying english, we will hopefully come up with some ideas for a business...

I have been in government all my life, either military or Federal Prisons.. so that is a scary thought..

:blink:

I have been in government all my life, either military or Federal Prisons..

:D

You've left yourself wide open with this. For example: "...as an inmate?" :(

This was the first thought that came to my mind too..

See how we are

The glass is not half full----or half empty

It's twice to big for the job..