New to the website

Hi everybody,

I would like to introduce myself to everybody. I am Scott and my Chinese love is Hua. We have known each other for 2 months now. We will meet for the first time in person in December. I am hiring an attorney to handle our case. I hope it will go smooth....but based on what I have read here - we expect the worse. I will be happy to hear from all of you that you have something to say to me and Hua. I am especially interested in comments on the use of a lawyer...

Sincerely,

Scott

HEY Scott, welcome to the CFL family. Lots of great people. All in the same boat.

I used an attorney from San Diago---he messed up things that I am still trying to straighten out now, five months after my Darlin'has been in the US.

Good luck on your journey--it will be frustrating, angering, loving, hateful and most of all AMAZING.

:D Welcome Aboard Scott :D I did not hire an attorney, but a guy that runs a service, APVisa. He promises a Visa in four months.......I am still trying to get that hook out of my mouth. :(

Welcome to the group Scott.

I read somewhere that around 83% of us do this without the help of a lawyer. I managed to do ours and I'm dumb as a rock. Like Don says if you want a lawyer make sure you get one that knows K-visas not some learn as you go lawyer. If he says he can get you a visa in 6 months grab your wallet and run.

Welcome Scott,

Like Donahso says attorneys are a mixed bag. My wife and I used the CFL and 001.com[chinese version of CFL] to do a lot of the process. All the people that are in this do give great help and support to do the process.

Best of luck in your future process :D

Eddy & Jing-Ling :)

Hi Scott,

Welcome to CFL! You have found a family that will always try to give you and lead you in the right direction.

I am filling K3 for my wife and I have not used any attorneys or Lawyers to complete our paperwork. So far we are now waiting on P4 and I have never received any RFE's.

Just as the others have said, if you feel you need an attorney or lawyer, be careful! Many have NO idea what they are doing. (opinion made from past postings on CFL).

What part of China is your future half from?

Hi Scott and welcome to CFL

These guys are a wealth of information, having gone through most of the process already. You can find most of what you need here.

As for the lawyer, I agree with donahso. If you have any extenuating circumstances like: unresolved divorces - previous fiancee visa app. - financial problems - outstanding warrants - tax liens (this could get scary if I keep going), get a lawyer. If you can do your own taxes, then you should have little problem following instructions and submitting your petition.

Here's your first tip:

When you assemble your I129F petition, the form has no insturctions on how to assemble the evidence. If you look in another place on the USCIS website, you can find general instructions on how to submit forms. The general instructions say to put I129F and original submission on the outside of your petition package, but the I129F form does not have this in their instructions.

Either way, GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress.

:lol:

Welcome to the CFL family Scott!

By now, you probably got your answer about lawers from the nice people here at CFL. Like them, I'll also say that you should be able to complete the K3 process all by yourself. But situations vary from prople to people. I myself am going through the K3 and also the Immigrant Visa process at the monent. Both of my petitions have been approved. So, if I can do it, so can you (assuming that your case has no abnormal complications).

Remember to document everything from now on related to you and your special one. Take photos together; with her family, send each other cards and letters, if you send emails - keep emails in their original format etc. Also, I know that some people use phone cards to call overseas. In your case, at least a few calls a month without using a card will be good as those calls will appear on your phone records.

The trick is to research and know as much as you can about the visa process and also coach your spouse as much as you can. When I started, I didn't know much and actually thought I could bring my wife here in 2 months :lol: But I used all the resources I could get my hands on and soon, I knew better.

The problem is that most of the info is scattered all over the net. This is why I have created a website that has most of the information that you need to get started in one central place. You are welcome to visit the site. I wish you the best of luck.

This is really somethin'...

I've known exactly one Tony, one Scott and two Marks in my whole life......  but we have multiples here on the Candle......

But welcome, never the less .... (Unless you are a clone of some kind...)

Gee Kim, am i your first Trigg?? Be gentle

Hi Scott,

If money is no object, by all means, hire the attorney.

I can not afford to blow 1800 bucks, but I did out of fear and ignorance.

I hired an attorney before I found Candle.

With my perfect 20/20 hindsight I would not have done it.

The final straw was yesterday when they sent an email notifying me that my wife received the P3 on July 15th and we should send the required paperwork back as quickly as possible. :huh: That's just one of the things they have done, and these guys are supposed to be expert immigration attorneys.

I could have used that money to make another visit to my wife.

Hi everybody,

I would like to introduce myself to everybody. I am Scott and my Chinese love is Hua. We have known each other for 2 months now. We will meet for the first time in person in December. I am hiring an attorney to handle our case. I hope it will go smooth....but based on what I have read here - we expect the worse. I will be happy to hear from all of you that you have something to say to me and Hua. I am especially interested in comments on the use of a lawyer...

Sincerely,

Scott

Welcome Scott. Meet her first, then think about a lawyer. With a wealth of info on CFL, you can handle the process yourself. If you want to prepare for the visa process, bring some blank forms with you (I-129F, G-325, etc.). If all goes according to plan, you can have her sign several copies of the forms and proceed from there.

One piece of advice. Don't get caught up in the thrill of it all. Let your heart lead, but don't leave your brain behind. Best of luck.

Hi Scott, I'm one of the gals around here, you've joined a great group of people. I can imagine the excitement about going to meet her in China for the first time. Have you ever been there before? What city will you visit? I also hired a lawyer, my best advice to you is to do it yourself, but it's very important to read carefully all the available instructions at the official site and after doing your homework feel free to ask any question in this forum, I'm sure you"ll get all the answers. Good luck.

Ditto.....All of the above.

You can definitely do it yourself if you're willing to do your homework. There are plenty of resources on this site and on the internet. Be sure to visit the USCIS(United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) website, The DOS (Department of State) website, and the US Consulate in Ghungzhou website. Check out the "Resources and Links" on this website as well as the search feature at the top of the page.

And definitely take lots of pictures of you and your sweetheart in many different settings, as well as pictures of both of you, with her family.

Most of all enjoy the journey.

Welcome to CFL... I agree withall of the above regarding lawyers.

I filled out all of the paperwork myself. We got our approval from Nebraska in 91 days. Received it just this month on August 9th. The big part of the process is read and follow the instructions explicitly.

Here is an example of what I mean. On the Bio forms they ask for First, Middle and Last Names. It says right on the form if none state none.

Chinese names are not like American names. We have first, middle and last names. Chinese use Last and First names. Where it asks for middle name, do not answer Not Applicable, even though this is more the case, use None. USCIS will not understand N/A because the are looking for a name or none. These kinds of things you can find out from lots of knowledgable people here at Candle. These are simple Government forms and can be filled out by just following the instructions.

Again, Welcome to Candle.

Michael