SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

• 3 weeks later...

Winston gets a little fussy/frisky!

What's your take on this topic, Randy? You must face this too.

I tell my Chinese friends that I no longer care to go to China. At first, I felt like a rock star with everyone wanting to take their picture with me. Now, I realize I'm just my wife's big white monkey and oddity that everyone want to take a picture with.

I tell my Chinese friends that I no longer care to go to China. At first, I felt like a rock star with everyone wanting to take their picture with me. Now, I realize I'm just my wife's big white monkey and oddity that everyone want to take a picture with.

Hey ya handsome big white monkey, I want a pitcher with you, too!!!! :happy2:

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

I don't get that much attention. It's more at a level that I'm comfortable with.

I like Winston's line that he's used - if someone gasps and says, "Weiguoren!", just gasp back, point, and say, "Ni shi Zhongguoren!", like YOU'RE just as surprised.

In any case, just try to respond in kind.

One thing I like about Chinese people is that they don't seem to try to hide the fact that they were looking at you, and will usually smile back if you catch them.

I don't get that much attention. It's more at a level that I'm comfortable with.

I like Winston's line that he's used - if someone gasps and says, "Weiguoren!", just gasp back, point, and say, "Ni shi Zhongguoren!", like YOU'RE just as surprised.

In any case, just try to respond in kind.

One thing I like about Chinese people is that they don't seem to try to hide the fact that they were looking at you, and will usually smile back if you catch them.

I'm probably too conditioned to western ways, as I found it a bit unnerving when Chinese men would stare hard at me. If I'd stare back and then smile and nod, they seemed just as unnerved by me doing that. :)

Now the women who'd coyly smile was a bit unnerving too, but in a much better way. I suppose your face is a rather familiar fixture in your home town now. Are you communicating pretty much in Chinese now without wife's help?

I'm probably too conditioned to western ways, as I found it a bit unnerving when Chinese men would stare hard at me. If I'd stare back and then smile and nod, they seemed just as unnerved by me doing that. :)

Now the women who'd coyly smile was a bit unnerving too, but in a much better way. I suppose your face is a rather familiar fixture in your home town now. Are you communicating pretty much in Chinese now without wife's help?

It seems to be just a matter of responding in kind - if they don't react, you don't need to either. My favorite is where a couple walks by, and I catch one of them looking at me without reacting. Approximately 2 seconds later, they turn to their companion and say something. Another 2 seconds and I catch the companion looking at me. If I smile and wave, I usually get a pleasant reaction.

It's not like the states where people go out of their way to hide the fact that they'd looked at you.

No, the staring seems to be similar anywhere.

I can usually (more than 50%) guess what's being said to me and respond. After that, I'm lost.

For instance, when I was at the hospital, Jiaying had convinced the doctor to come down from the fourth floor to see me. When he hadn't showed up, she went off to look for him. When he showed up, I caught the words "lao po" and "dianhua" in what he said - I realized I needed to call her to come back.

Winston often rants against drug use in China (you might get caught). This is his best one - very comprehensive, including the warning that if you get stoned before you leave your home country and then get caught up in a Chinese drug raid a day or two later, you might be arrested for the drugs still in your system

• 4 weeks later...

Here's Winston's rant - I'm still unclear about what they're doing, but it looks like Winston may still be mostly China-based, while C-Milk will continue in the U.S.

This is mostly a rant, but I have to agree about the direction China has taken (pretty much exclusively sideways at best) since 2012

. . . and here they present their "big boy" bikes in the U.S.

I checked up on Gweilo 60, who's been laying low for quite a few months. This was a response he left apparently yesterday

I have been dealing with some family issues. I will be back doing videos soon. I'll let everyone know what's been going on when I start making videos again. Please be patient and thanks for the concern.

When I first moved to China in 97-98, things were rapidly changing and overall, the atmosphere for ex-pats was generally positive. We left China in 2003 after a long, drawn out visa hassle subsequent to changes after 9/11. Since out return, I have had former friends and students come to visit us here and what they have related in an indirect, but clear, way is that things are now much more negative. I have watched Winston's videos since the beginning and can see how his attitude has also changed, largely in reaction to what he has experienced there. I am glad that he is taking a step that he feels is best for his family and ditto C-Milk. Best wishes to both of them and their families.

• Like 1