SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

A point in this video that I think is real interesting is when he points out several electric cars driving by, but doesn't even notice all the electric city buses that are front and center in view.

I found the use of electric buses in Shenzhen to be very impressive, especially considering the range they were having to cover. Shanghai has the "high capacitance" buses - buses that recharge capacitor "batteries" at every station before continuing to the next.

on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/advchina/posts/842252695936978

I bought this myself and watched it - I'll say that maybe they could have chosen a better production company. It starts out slowly, too heavy on the yuck factor, but the last two reels are very good. The Western music is VERY poorly chosen, but the local music is VERY good.

All in all, I'd say it could use a fairly minor re-write, but is overall, very good.

link to the videos on Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/ondemand/conqueringnorthernchina

https://www.facebook.com/advchina/posts/842252695936978

The boys spill some beans and talk about how "the Golden Period" for foreigners is over

Published on Dec 17, 2017

China has changed drastically in 10 years. SerpentZA and Laowhy86 have lived in China for over 10 years, and the country has changed for the better and for the worse.
Things like personal safety are at an all time high, and things like personal freedoms are at an all time low. We have dealt with full support, and backlash from the locals, and it has had influence on how we, as westerners, have dealt with life here.
Considering moving to China? Watch this video to get some inside perspective.

Hey C Milk, I live in Alabama and you are treating me like a second class citizen with your comments. I first went to China in 1997 and lived my first year in Anhui Province. There was a distinct and palatable prejudice against foreigners, especially Americans. People used to yell at me in the street and, especially after the bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade in May, 1998, it got even worse. We moved down to Guangdong after that first year, and it was much different. Far more openness and tolerance. We left China in 2003 and I am sure things have changed drastically since then.

Hey C Milk, I live in Alabama and you are treating me like a second class citizen with your comments. I first went to China in 1997 and lived my first year in Anhui Province. There was a distinct and palatable prejudice against foreigners, especially Americans. People used to yell at me in the street and, especially after the bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade in May, 1998, it got even worse. We moved down to Guangdong after that first year, and it was much different. Far more openness and tolerance. We left China in 2003 and I am sure things have changed drastically since then.

The conversation went something like,

"Hey, C-Milk! What's that place in America that you hate? Alabama?"

"Nah - I just used that as an example of a deep south state"

- when they were talking about rednecks and foreigners.

This is from a new vlogger who lives in Nanning. His wife is from Yulin - some of her family lives in the Wu Cai Tian Yuan.

This one, he SAYS is about investing, I would call it BANKING in China. I still MUCH prefer keeping (and investing) my money in the U.S., and only wiring it as needed to my Chinese bank.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that "Conquering SOUTHERN China" is on Amazon Prime, if you have that.

Yes, I have those episodes - I think they were initially posted for free on their YouTube channels.

I don't remember what they said about Amazon Prime, but they weren't exactly thrilled with it. CNC will probably only go there as a last resort.

C-Milk seems ambivalent about his future. I think he's hoping that opportunities will come his way in the U.S., but that he's not wanting to let go of the China documentaries. Vivi's green card, of course, will keep them in the U.S. for at least 6 months every year.

I have thought about the fact that they seem more interested in the U.S. now - but also revoked the child's PRC citizenship. If they decide to spend sig time in PRC later they are now free to use the international schools, which aren't free.

Side topic: are you using Amazon Prime for shopping? A friend in Huangzhou uses it - allows shopping in the U.S. store, free shipping, too - but not 2 days. No Prime Video included.

I have thought about the fact that they seem more interested in the U.S. now - but also revoked the child's PRC citizenship. If they decide to spend sig time in PRC later they are now free to use the international schools, which aren't free.

Side topic: are you using Amazon Prime for shopping? A friend in Huangzhou uses it - allows shopping in the U.S. store, free shipping, too - but not 2 days. No Prime Video included.

If it allows free shipping to China, I may have to look into that. I hadn't thought that would be possible.

Edit: Nope!

According to an Amazon representative, the company currently offers Amazon Prime (renamed Amazon Premium in several markets) in the United States, the United Kingdom, Spain, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, and Austria.

Also, not all products are allowed for International shipping - I get get around that by shipping to my New York address, where they re-package and forward to me. That's expensive, though, so I don't do that often.

There'a a LOT available on Taobao - I could have bought my new camera for a lower price there than what I paid in Hong Kong.

I figure this one's worth posting here for two reasons - even though she does Japan, and not China, she does an excellent job of showing the difference between the Western and Eastern squats, and, besides, that's apparently her natural hair (she says it's NEVER been dyed!).

But I think the problem for the rest of us is getting our ANKLES to bend like that (I don't think they do that unless they've been trained from a VERY early age).