why do people from hong kong hate people from china?

i really didn't understand why my hong kong cousins' were shocked when i was marrying a china girl few years ago, never brothered me and never give a thought. they would say why a china girl? there are so many chinese girls in ny!!! china girl?!!! my understanding was we are all chinese, any way you look at it, so it really doesn't matter to me.

i was born in hong kong but immigrated to ny when i was 7, so i'm really out of the loop, in terms of hong kong/china relationship. recently i been reading newspaper about tensions bewteen hong kong/china but never brother to pay much attendtion to it. until one day, i google "why do people from hong kong hate people from china" and i see page after page of sites and postings. i read and kinda understand why hong kong people are pissed off at china people. their situations are like ours, illegal immigrants entering usa and getting free benefits and usa people are paying for their free benefits.

here is one of the link, http://reasonswhywehate.tumblr.com/

please keep it clean, no punching or jabs, and most important of all, this post is not intended to offend anyone.

i still love my china girl who born me a healthy son. we are still together!!!

I read the blog, and listen to the video.

I think it is closer to why 2 siblings fight, than a fair discussion of right or wrong on either side.

When I went to mainland China, I had no preconceived idea what I would find.

It is true, I saw a man pooping next to a building, my wife was embarrassed and said crazy man.

I have seen mothers put their children down to urine on the sidewalk.

I have seen people drop trash anywhere they are walking.

I went with a busload of male tourists to urine at fence, so the ladies could use both bathrooms at the bus stop.

Still, the Chinese people that I met and traveled with were good people.

It is only a small number of people who cause the disturbing scenes that are then used to justify prejudice.

Hong Kong people have British passports, and in my opinion, think they are better than mainland Chinese.

They didn't like being force back into the Chinese country, and they take out their frustration on the mainland people who come to Hong Kong.

I don't think it is a solvable problem. With brothers and sisters, there comes a time when they can move out of the house, put distance between themselves, and one day love each other stronger than when they lived together at home.

In this situation, there is no way Hong Kong and Mainland can get that distance, and as such can not gain the perspective needed to appreciate each other.

There are faults in the mainland Chinese I am sure, but there are faults in Hong Kong resident too.

In a perfect world, they would accept each other as Chinese, and deal with the trouble makers in a united way.

In this real world, people will continue to build resentment toward each other, and ultimately it will become similar to racism.

As for me, I have no interest in Hong Kong.

It is crowded, and expensive.

I will live in "heaven on earth", Suzhou.. MAINLAND China.

• Like 3

Yeah, Hong Kong IS China... same as Taiwan. No amount of snootiness will change that.

I think you no understand chinese that good.

chinese people understand for we live in china more than you.

we understand the culture and history.

hong kong was taken from us then gave back.

if you never live it before then you will never understand.

less you have china in your blood you can not understand and feel what we go everyday.

this question go back many year you need to live the years ago.

Zhenghong, I live and work in China every day. I minored in Chinese history for one of my college degrees. I do not have to have Chinese in my blood or live through it to understand. What part of me saying Hong Kong and Taiwan are China is incorrect?

Xin nian kuai le, gong xi fa cai!

Yeah, Hong Kong IS China... same as Taiwan. No amount of snootiness will change that.

less you have china in your blood you can not understand and feel what we go everyday.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

I can't really add much to your story, because the observations of the bloggers is real. There is a running superiority complex not just among the Hong Kong people, but also Taiwan people.

To roll all mainland Chinese people into the same category is an unfair tactic. I didn't read the blog in detail, but get the general idea. One can go anywhere in the world and find the poor and uneducated.

At the same time, you can also find the rich mainland Chinese who join the snob bandwagon.

Zhenghong, I live and work in China every day. I minored in Chinese history for one of my college degrees. I do not have to have Chinese in my blood or live through it to understand. What part of me saying Hong Kong and Taiwan are China is incorrect?

Xin nian kuai le, gong xi fa cai!

I will not say happy new year to you for you no understand 中国语言

Hong kong and taiwan no important to you for you no Chinese.

Just for you go to school to teach you my culture you will never understand.

read and study much as you want you will never feel my culture and what Chinese people have been though for many thousand years.

You never understand the hard ship of lost of family during the many thousand years of my country.

you think you live in my country but you not live here you just stay here

You call you Fu Lai 富莱 the Falcon this you are not.

I now understand why no chinese woman join cfl.

many my girl friends join cfl ago and say the people here have no hart for chinese girl and leave cfl.

I join many year ago and come back and try again. is see now it same ago.

Fu Lai the Falcon have 黑哈特

现在,我会

Welcome back Zhenghong. I and many other members welcome you and hope you will post more often. I think you make some valid points. Unless you are Chinese I don't think one can completely understand the feeling. I too have noticed though that some Taiwan and some Hong Kong people think they are more sophisticated than many mainland Chinese. I also have no use for people who feel this way whether they are from Hong Kong, Taiwan, The United States or anywhere else. China is advancing rapidly and the people who look down their nose at people from the mainland will probably find themselves being the dirt mainland people walk on. I read a news story sometime back about how people from Hong Kong were starting to realize they need to learn Mandarin if they want to compete in the global market with mainland Chinese. Hong Kong is no longer the cock of the walk.

I now understand why no chinese woman join cfl.

many my girl friends join cfl ago and say the people here have no hart for chinese girl and leave cfl.

I join many year ago and come back and try again. is see now it same ago.

Zhenghong, I'm hoping that you will give us a chance here to help you understand who we are. Although some members live and work in China, most of us do not. We may not have a heart for all things Chinese, but for almost all of us members, at least one Chinese girl owns our heart. I, myself have had a relationship with my Chinese girl now for 10 years including almost 8 years of her being my wife. In that time, I have learned much about China through her and she has learned much about the United States though me. That is what this forum is here for. We are trying to learn about where ore ladies are from and the culture we are being introduced to.

That being said, you also have to understand that for the most part, the members here are Americans and we are going to have opinions shaped from our lives growning up in a completely different culture you may be used to. As Americans, we can temd to say things and have opinions you may not agree with and might believe to be completely wrong. Are we always right? No. But then we may not always be wrong either. I don't agree with everything I read here and sometimes I think someone's post is foolish or out and out stupid. You can choose to argue with them or look the other way. The better way would be to tell us your thoughts of the issue. You say we can not understand the Chinese feelings about Hong Kong or Taiwan? Tell us yours. Help us understand and who knows, you just might learn something about us crazy Americans.

• Like 1

Zhenghong, I am another one that am glad that you have returned and I hope that you don't leave again. Le me try to answer your post too.

A lot of American men come here with a sad story about what their Chinese wife, fiance or girlfriend has done to them and we have no way to tell if they are telling the truth or not. We have no way of telling if they are actually the bad guy or not. We never hear the Chinese side of the picture so we can only listen and respond to the American guy's side of the story and sometimes we will side with him and sometimes we don't. However most of the time it appears as though we are siding with the American man but if we could hear both sides of the argument we might see things much differently. Does that sound reasonable?

I know that it is the same way on 001 as well. The Chinese girls go there and post their stories about the bad American boyfriend, husband and fiance and they never hear the bad American's side of the story. This is the reason that many of us here want to encourage more Chinese women to come here and post their view so we can understand both sides of things whether it be a domestic dispute or just some social issue between our countries.

I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that if you were to do a survey here you would see how many of us love China especially it's people however we don't always agree with the way things are done in China. Speaking of the folks that are in charge but that is just the differences with our two beliefs in the way things should be done.

I hope that you return and bring some of your friends too. I can tell you that my wife does not post here or have an account here. In case you are wondering. I do read and tell her about some of the post but the reason that she don't come here is that she hates it when people air the family laundry in a public place so she don't like this kind of forum.

Larry