Off to see the wizard of GUZ

Thanks Kyle!

All great info here........filing it away for future purposes!!

Thanks. After reading through it, there might be some outdated information though. I'm mainly thinking of the fee schedule; I also believe GUZ now mails to a broader area than they did back when I interviewed.

China Post

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/china-post-delivery-of-approved-immigrant-visas-now-available-to-applicants-throughout-china.html

and

Fee Information

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43801-question-about-fees/

• 2 years later...

So uhh, hi everyone. It's been a while since I've stopped by; I really feel bad about that. Figured, I'd say hi to old friends and hope that I'm still welcome around. Admittidly, I kind of abruptly fell off the face of the CFL universe. That being said, I'll cover some personal stuff that's been going on, as well as try to give an overall update of how JIngjing and I are doing. First off, my wife is still giving this goat a good mop slap every now and then, and really, I can't deny that I deserve it (at least most of the time). For those of you in the Kansas City area, we're still here and we'd be open to meeting you guys if you'd want. My wife is about to finish her last semester at St. Luke's college of nursing where she'll graduate with a BSRN (and she has already secured employment afterwards). She's more dedicated to her university studies than I was at 18. She's still pulling a 4.0. Some semesters, due to "extra" activities, I was lucky to make a 0.4, so yeah, she's smarter than me, and now she has the records to prove it. We're also in the process of purchasing our first home. It's all exciting and new and even a little stressful, but it's a good kind of stress. Jingjing's parents are planning on coming to visit us later this year (tourist visa) assuming that everything goes smoothly.

Ok background info about myself: I grew up on the east side of Missouri, close to St. Louis, so I've always been a cardinals fan. I have successfully converted my wife as a fan of the redbirds as well. we even have a dog named, Yadi.

http://i61.tinypic.com/15p1s3a.jpg

We're still just the two of us, but were beginning to discuss additions to the family. Still preliminary though.

Since coming to the States, my wife has put me on a diet. She's not screwing around either; essentially, it is an anything I want to eat, she won't let me eat diet. I've lost 60 pounds so I guess it's not all bad as long as I don't let her know when I cheat. I am a firm believer in transparency among spouses except when it comes to cheating on a "diet" or as she says "a life change"

Our marriage although going well, has had it's bumps. No marriage is perfect, and I for that matter, am far from it. Culture shock is real and so is reverse culture shock. My wife has handled it better than I did in China, but I've struggled a lot upon our return to the States. My mood and just overal emotional state declined greatly. Although, I never physically or verbally abused my wife, I did shut down a bit mentally/emotionally, so in an essense, I did indirectly affect her. That with her own dealings of cultural adjustment made it hard from time-to-time. The good news is that the human spirit is fairly durable and can adjust to most things and thankfully that applies to us both. It's an on-going deal though which creeps up every now-and-then. The most severe time in my life is no coincidence to my abrupt absense from this forum. A time away has allowed Jingjing and I to focus on one another and since our initial arrival to the US, we've found a church home and a network of close friends who have helped make us feel "at home" - In other words, now, I kind of miss this place, and although I don't know what my status is considered by others on this site, would like to return on a more consistant basis, if anything else, to contribute where I can and hopefully rekindle friendships made in the past.

This website has served me well while in China. living abroad was difficult enough, and this place allowed me an avenue to "decompress" I feel that now, I'm in a good place and hopefully can return the favor who are currently undergoing what I went through for over five years.

Anyway, I thank you all, miss you, and wish you well. Thanks for not changing the locks while I was away.

Friendship love and appreciation,

Kyle

http://i57.tinypic.com/21d0u13.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/28khhms.jpg

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great to see you post Kyle. I hope the best for you guys.

Married life has it's ups and downs during the best of times, throw in a lil' culture shock to a woman who has given up everything she ever knew....and things can get lively. It looks like you guys are doing well, remember, there are many of us all in the same boat.

Thanks for droppin' in, hope to see you post again, and best wishes to you both.

tsap seui

Good post. I never knew you, but good to get to know you this way.

My son is in KC for another 2-3 weeks, studying for the MSMLE to go on forward with the rest of med school. Lot of hospitals and Doc offices around his hotel, on the KS side. I go through there some on my way between Wichita and St Louis. Good BBQ and restaurants and a nice clean downtown. We like it.

For me the shock of coming back to the USA after every trip is very BIG and real. Heck the last time I had to think to talk. I missed haring the Chinese language, even though I don't understand it. I am so at ease in China, but coming home does something to me that isn't good for awhile. I just cannot think the same, or even act the same. Anyway, whatever it is for you, it looks like you have been adjusting back just fine.

So great to hear from you, Kyle. Sorry i missed this yesterday, but I was having a bit of an adventure of my own. I hope you do come around here more often as you have been missed. I understand what you mean about reverse culture shock and feeling a bit of depression when returning home after living in China for a number of years. I felt the same way when we moved back here in 2003 after five years in the Middle Kingdom. Glad to hear things are going well and loved the photos you posted. Yadi looks like a great little pooch, but I wonder if he can scoop a 58-foot curve ball out of the dirt like his namesake. :happydance: I, too, like the Cards though in my heart of hearts, I bleed Dodger blue. Welcome home old friend.

Welcome back stranger. Of course you are still welcome here. you always have had a lot to offer here from your experience with the visa process and living in China. Sounds like Jing Jing has been progressing nicely with your training. Resistance is futile.

• 2 weeks later...